Combo shotguns are they legal to deer hunt in shotgun only zones?

Hunter007

17 minutes ago, Larry said:

Do not know but even if it is, why would you want to use one? The rifle barrel is on top with the sites the shotgun barrel is on the bottom and it’s smooth bore. To aim with a slug you would have to take a WAG.

Shotgun is on top on the one I was looking at actully  

Edited by Storm914

Last time I checked the regs ( a number of years ago)  It was legal  as long as you don't posess any ammo for the rifle barrel while hunting in a shotgun only area...

This would apply to all combo guns including drillings.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Larry said:

Do not know but even if it is, why would you want to use one? The rifle barrel is on top with the sites the shotgun barrel is on the bottom and it’s smooth bore. To aim with a slug you would have to take a WAG.

wrong. why are you even spouting off about guns you know nothing about. The 22 /410. I used in Pa. had the rifle barrel underneath. clearly you are confused.

20 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Question can you legaly deer hunt with something like  that ,in shotgun only zones  if you only load the shotgun barrel

why do you want to shoot deer with a .410?, Those are mostly kid guns, and they are great for black snakes

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, vizslas said:

wrong. why are you even spouting off about guns you know nothing about. The 22 /410. I used in Pa. had the rifle barrel underneath. clearly you are confused.

why do you want to shoot deer with a .410?, Those are mostly kid guns, and they are great for black snakes

.410 ? Lol  are you joking me 

The one  I was looking at was 12ga with a 3inch chamber 

12 ga is all I use on deer and preferably 3 in shells 

M6 FOLDING SHOTGUN/RIFLE W/ 8 INSERTS. SKU: CF500.184. Type of gun: Over & Under. Caliber: 12GA-3"/22LR. Action: Folding Break Open. Barrel Length: 18.5". Chokes ...

Caliber: 12GA-3"/22LR

Type of gun: Over & Under

Barrel Length: 18.5"

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vizslas said:

sounds like your on to something. it may be a little heavier out front. but a slug from a .410 would do the job if it was close enough, really close enough, just grab it around the neck and shoot it, hahaha

Using a .410 would be like using a 22 lr unless your taking  a head shot at   really  close range I think it  is inhumane to us something like that on deer . Unless you like trakking all day long for it  waiting for it to die a slow death .no thanks :)

16 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Please enlighten me but I have never shot a 3" slug,,,,I always 2 3/4 " Winchester , Remington then lightfield, now Hornaday,,, what are you shooting ? I only use 3" for turkey ..

From all that I tried 

3 inch rem sluggers  group the best in my 1187 . That  I have had  from the 90s  

With improved choke .

That does not mean it will shoot as well in this or any other shotgun you have to test them out to know for sure .

The 3 inch Winchester work good to in mine 

Edited by Storm914

2 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

here are some examples of combo/drilling guns. all european ,made in germany by merkel . all were 16 ga and a weird european round 9.2x 72  there was one i found made by savage that was 12 ga and a 30-30 i didnt get a pic of that

opt_100411592_3038_4613D795A18770BF.jpg

opt_100827985_54_FDD3A8F440BD5F0A.JPG

Combination_guns.jpg

opt_100960610_51982_315365ECF8FC570D.JPG

220px-BlaserBD98.jpg

220px-Klassischer_Drilling.jpg

Yep they have made  every combo imaginable.

Interesting guns for sure but seems like your asking for trouble deer hunting with one but to each their own..

I have had trouble in the past with 3" turkey shells ejecting from my 870 have you experienced any issue with your 1187 ? Just curious as I would never shoot them, I just don't believe they are needed with the current ammo on the market..

JMO 

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader
Spelling

26 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Interesting guns for sure but seems like your asking for trouble deer hunting with one but to each their own..

I have trouble in the past with 3" turkey shells ejecting from my 870 have you experienced any issue with your 1187 ? Just curious I would never shoot them, just don't believe they are newded with the current ammo on the market..

JMO 

Nope for deer hunting I never put more then 2 or 3 in the gun anyway  .

In 25 years only had 1 not cycle and  that one  it was the rim that   was dented .  Not the gun . Since then I look inspect and make sure there are no  dents on the rim  if  i see them I load that one round  in the chamber not the mag tube. And they work fine anyway 

Usally save those for target  practice  some times they get dented up loading and unloading rounds. During  deer season  you know  how that goes .

Anyway doing that I  never had a problem again. 

Edited by Storm914

2 hours ago, vizslas said:

Some of those 410 single shot can shoot a 44mag if I remember right

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Storm914 said:

.410 ? Lol  are you joking me 

The one  I was looking at was 12ga with a 3inch chamber 

12 ga is all I use on deer and preferably 3 in shells 

M6 FOLDING SHOTGUN/RIFLE W/ 8 INSERTS. SKU: CF500.184. Type of gun: Over & Under. Caliber: 12GA-3"/22LR. Action: Folding Break Open. Barrel Length: 18.5". Chokes ...

Caliber: 12GA-3"/22LR

Type of gun: Over & Under

Barrel Length: 18.5"

That gun is going to kick you like a mule x2 with a 12 gauge slug let alone a 3". I would be surprised if you don't dislocate your shoulder. Although I'm not sure of your frame but that would hurt like a bugger.

13 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

I have had trouble in the past with 3" turkey shells ejecting from my 870 have you experienced any issue with your 1187 ? Just curious as I would never shoot them, I just don't believe they are needed with the current ammo on the market..

JMO 

I have an 870 20 gauge and never had a failure to eject, I also don't waste anytime racking a new one. I have had them FTE if if slowly bring it back but that is only when I'm unloading the gun anyway and is usually never shot. You might need a new ejector pin.

12 hours ago, silent death said:

Some of those 410 single shot can shoot a 44mag if I remember right

I really wouldn't suggest it unless the gun was designed for it. I have a 410 and while it would chamber a 45LC  it is a fixed full choke barrel and that is down to under .4". do that math on a 45 caliber bullet and I wouldn't want to see what pressure could develop during that squeeze. 

ny regs aren't easy to understand and that's why there is confusion. You can absolutely, positively legally possess a loaded.22 in the woods during deer season. many small game animals are open. Heck you can hunt at night during deer season. 

the deal is that you cannot hunt deer at night or with a .22. I don't really think the weapon you're talking about makes sense as an investment, but you could absolutely bring it in the woods loaded and be fine 95% of the time. Now on the 1 in a billion chance you're stopped by the DEC, it would be up to that officer if he wasn't to ticket you. And if you have any squirrel or fox calls with you i bet you'd be just fine.

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

ny regs aren't easy to understand and that's why there is confusion. You can absolutely, positively legally possess a loaded.22 in the woods during deer season. many small game animals are open. Heck you can hunt at night during deer season. 

the deal is that you cannot hunt deer at night or with a .22. I don't really think the weapon you're talking about makes sense as an investment, but you could absolutely bring it in the woods loaded and be fine 95% of the time. Now on the 1 in a billion chance you're stopped by the DEC, it would be up to that officer if he wasn't to ticket you. And if you have any squirrel or fox calls with you i bet you'd be just fine.

except in Westchester and on Long Island..can never hunt with any rifle or even carry one afield at any time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I really wouldn't suggest it unless the gun was designed for it. I have a 410 and while it would chamber a 45LC  it is a fixed full choke barrel and that is down to under .4". do that math on a 45 caliber bullet and I wouldn't want to see what pressure could develop during that squeeze. 

Never said I would even think about doin it ...I don't even have a 410 lol