pellet gun

vizslas

Bought this for the wife. she asked me if she could go hunting for squirrels with me. Now without very much trigger time i thought I would get her this. Its the Umarex Trevox , a break action single shot with a seven inch barrel.I chronographed it at 496 fps. I bought one tin of pellets that seem to group ok at ten yards, roughly about an inch. Yesterday we put about a hundred shots through it yesterday to get it sighted in and send a bunch through it for the break in period. today i got a bug in my ass and had to get to the woods. the big question was is she going to go with me when its 4 degrees outside. well she got her bibs on and off we went. So off hand I let her loose on some tin cans I brought with me. i kept hearing the sound of pellets hitting cans. Oh boy shes off to a good start.the red thing hanging off of her was a holder that i made for waterbottles for my dogs. It works great as an 18 inch gun holster.

annie oakley.jpg

annie oakley 2.png

• Like 5

You do realize to hunt with an air gun in NYS it has to have a velocity of at least 600FPS?

Definitions

Air gun - a firearm that uses spring or compressed air (not gunpowder) to propel a single projectile that is .17 caliber or larger and produces a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second. Smooth or rifled bore air guns are allowed.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

13 minutes ago, ....rob said:

You do realize to hunt with an air gun in NYS it has to have a velocity of at least 600FPS?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

That is good to know.  The $60, .177 cal pellet rifle, that we just got our daughter for Christmas, does 1000 fps.  Maybe I will try it on some squirrels, if it warms up a little bit next weekend.   It sounds like it should have plenty of energy to get the job done. The relative silence, compared to a .22 LR, might make it a little faster to get a limit.  It has been a long time since I killed a squirrel with open sights and I am looking forward to the challenge.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ....rob said:

wolc123, I am not trying to be nosey, just very curious, what air rifle did you buy for $60 that has a MV of 1000 FPS?

This was a break-action Marksman that Dicks was selling at half price before Christmas.  It has a decent looking 1" tube 4X scope (that I will probably not mount) and fiber optic sights.

• Like 1

I am sure you all know this but like ibo ratings on bows, Airgun manufacturer speed ratings are done with crazy light pellets.  You will not achieve those velocities with hunting weight pellets.  Not that you need 1000fps to kill a squirrel.  

Viz - cool that your wife wants to get out there and shoot. 

• Like 1

Wow I have to give that gal credit getting out there in  4 degree weather to fire her new pellet pistol, it looks like a pretty nice gun. 

Don't know how your home is laid out but bullet-pellet traps are not too expensive and setup properly in a basement can provide more comfortable conditions so you can do some indoor shooting-practice in the winter when it is bitter outside.

I have one that that is good for any 17 or 22 rimfire firearm but I use it only for airguns and it works perfectly. I make sure I have it sitting in front of a good backstop just in case of a miss, a big cardboard box full of old newspapers works good.

Al

001.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Wow I have to give that gal credit getting out there in  4 degree weather to fire her new pellet pistol, it looks like a pretty nice gun. 

Don't know how your home is laid out but bullet-pellet traps are not too expensive and setup properly in a basement can provide more comfortable conditions so you can do some indoor shooting-practice in the winter when it is bitter outside.

I have one that that is good for any 17 or 22 rimfire firearm but I use it only for airguns and it works perfectly. I make sure I have it sitting in front of a good backstop just in case of a miss, a big cardboard box full of old newspapers works good.

Al

001.JPG

we have a pellet trap. what else ya got. she is pretty tough, she never complained at all. Actually for as much as my hands were wiping snow off of her and setting targets, my hands were the ones to get cold. so when i started to whine she said lets go.

21 hours ago, vizslas said:

Bought this for the wife. she asked me if she could go hunting for squirrels with me. Now without very much trigger time i thought I would get her this. Its the Umarex Trevox , a break action single shot with a seven inch barrel.I chronographed it at 496 fps. I bought one tin of pellets that seem to group ok at ten yards, roughly about an inch. Yesterday we put about a hundred shots through it yesterday to get it sighted in and send a bunch through it for the break in period. today i got a bug in my ass and had to get to the woods. the big question was is she going to go with me when its 4 degrees outside. well she got her bibs on and off we went. So off hand I let her loose on some tin cans I brought with me. i kept hearing the sound of pellets hitting cans. Oh boy shes off to a good start.the red thing hanging off of her was a holder that i made for waterbottles for my dogs. It works great as an 18 inch gun holster.

annie oakley.jpg

annie oakley 2.png

18 hours ago, vizslas said:

shes not hunting.  she is target shooting. didnt anybody read the part about the tin cans?

I apologize, but if you read the part I highlighted, it sure sounded like she wanted to go hunting with you. The rest seemed like you were getting her accustomed to shooting the air gun and ready to hunt by shooting cans.

Again, I apologize for the misinterpretation.

29 minutes ago, ....rob said:

I apologize, but if you read the part I highlighted, it sure sounded like she wanted to go hunting with you. The rest seemed like you were getting her accustomed to shooting the air gun and ready to hunt by shooting cans.

Again, I apologize for the misinterpretation.

Gimme a break.....show me the gamey that 1) carries a chronograph 2) is even going to question whether the gun shoots 600fps or would know its only a 500fps shooter? 

I hope like heck they have better things to do than question the muzzle velocity of a lady hunting squirrels. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Gimme a break.....show me the gamey that 1) carries a chronograph 2) is even going to question whether the gun shoots 600fps or would know its only a 500fps shooter? 

I hope like heck they have better things to do than question the muzzle velocity of a lady hunting squirrels. 

Not sure what you are getting at here Law. Taking a poke at me or the OP. If me, then read what I said and how it could me misinterpreted. Rules are rules, and the law says 600FPS to use an air gun for small game. I didn't make the law, the DEC did. I really DGAS what people do. Just trying to express what a legal air gun is. You don't like the laws take it up DEC, not me. I did nothing wrong here!

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Maybe Keep those superlite pellets handy just in case though :)

21 minutes ago, ....rob said:

I really DGAS what people do. Just trying to express what a legal air gun is. You don't like the laws take it up DEC, not me. I did nothing wrong here!

Oh you sure do GAS what people do, that is why you posted the issue. 

Keep scanning the forum for more infractions......the next one could be meaningful.

No hunting for her she does not even have her license yet so its just cans for her right now. I figured why just shoot at home when its way more scenic to go and target shoot in the woods.i had the .22 just in case a flesh eating squirrel attacked us.

rabbid squirrel.jpeg

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, vizslas said:

No hunting for her she does not even have her license yet so its just cans for her right now. I figured why just shoot at home when its way more scenic to go and target shoot in the woods.i had the .22 just in case a flesh eating squirrel attacked us.

rabbid squirrel.jpeg

I think I've seen that squirrel in the woods.  Nasty little bugger. 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:36 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Oh you sure do GAS what people do, that is why you posted the issue. 

Keep scanning the forum for more infractions......the next one could be meaningful.

LMAO!

Really? Breaking the law is breaking law! But, IDGAF what people do anymore! You do your thing, I'll do mine, I like sticking to the laws and rules! Happy New Year Larry! Best wished to you for 2018!

12 hours ago, ....rob said:

LMAO!

Really? Breaking the law is breaking law! But, IDGAF what people do anymore! You do your thing, I'll do mine, I like sticking to the laws and rules! Happy New Year Larry! Best wished to you for 2018!

For the record. If you look up the gun it lists it’s fps as 600 on the website meaning it would be legal to hunt with. So who cares. 

It’s not like the guy is discharging a bow in a trailer park where it’s not allowed or something serious like that. 

33 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

For the record. If you look up the gun it lists it’s fps as 600 on the website meaning it would be legal to hunt with. So who cares. 

It’s not like the guy is discharging a bow in a trailer park where it’s not allowed or something serious like that. 

I just looked that gun is rated at 600 fps so it would be legal as far as DEC is concerned they go by factory specs .

Legally Not your responsibility to figure out the actual speed. 

That is  the job of the factory .

• Like 1

It looks like a fun-gun no matter whether you use it on tin cans or squirrels. Just out of curiosity, what does a thing like that go for. Wish I had something like that to shoot in my basement right now. This frigid weather is getting me a severe case of cabin fever.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

It looks like a fun-gun no matter whether you use it on tin cans or squirrels. Just out of curiosity, what does a thing like that go for. Wish I had something like that to shoot in my basement right now. This frigid weather is getting me a severe case of cabin fever.

The Crosman P1377 is a classic that would fit your needs.  The variable pump can be annoying but it's iconic and worth having just to have I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-P1377BR-American-177-Caliber-Pneumatic/dp/B00TEACFXW

Edited by Elmo