LI duck hunters

ATbuckhunter

Anyone in LI willing to have another hunter tag along with them? Id love to learn from an experienced hunter down here in LI. I Just recently got into waterfowl hunting and obviously don't know what I'm doing. I just bought a couple calls and a dozen mallard decoys, but with no boat or kayak i'm very limited where I can hunt. I'm willing to help out in anyway and adhere to any rules you may have.  

1 minute ago, NonTypical said:

I'm not sure how the ducks are right now as a lot of the backwaters are freezing over, but they are doing a number on the geese right now. Call Steve from Elite Outfitters if you don't get any offers. 

Unfortunately I'm a college student, so money is a little short now as I had to pay tuition for this semester. Don't think I could afford an outfitter, but ill check him out. 

AT, where on the Island are you located?  Without a boat and a dog, your options are limited. Access on the island is tough, especially out east. Look into Southaven. I haven’t hunted there, but one of my duck hunting buddies has and he says it’s pretty good. It’s a walk-in deal and you don’t need a boat or dog. A great way to make contacts is to join the local DU chapter and become active in it. The guy I hunt with started that way and made some great contacts who were very generous with their time and experience. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, virgil said:

AT, where on the Island are you located?  Without a boat and a dog, your options are limited. Access on the island is tough, especially out east. Look into Southaven. I haven’t hunted there, but one of my duck hunting buddies has and he says it’s pretty good. It’s a walk-in deal and you don’t need a boat or dog. A great way to make contacts is to join the local DU chapter and become active in it. The guy I hunt with started that way and made some great contacts who were very generous with their time and experience. 

Im on the boarder of NYC and Queens  actually. Not quite Long Island, but Its easier for me to go to the Island than upstate. I was also thinking of joining some local clubs, but the couple i reached out to didn't respond .  Ill be sure to look into DU. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

Anyone in LI willing to have another hunter tag along with them? Id love to learn from an experienced hunter down here in LI. I Just recently got into waterfowl hunting and obviously don't know what I'm doing. I just bought a couple calls and a dozen mallard decoys, but with no boat or kayak i'm very limited where I can hunt. I'm willing to help out in anyway and adhere to any rules you may have.  

AT what's your availability during the week typically? I'm a full time guide as Non Typical has mentioned and I'm always looking for a hard working helper on trips. I'd teach you as much as you're willing to learn. Season is coming to a close here  but food for thought for next season

2 hours ago, bruno1 said:

AT what's your availability during the week typically? I'm a full time guide as Non Typical has mentioned and I'm always looking for a hard working helper on trips. I'd teach you as much as you're willing to learn. Season is coming to a close here  but food for thought for next season

Well today was my first day of class unfortunately so I only have a few days free during the weekday. May have to move my schedule around so that may change. Ill let you know for next season since ill be graduating in May. 

• Like 1