200 Pound Draw Limit

Pete

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Speaking of not knowing what you are talking about, refer to http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html#deer and learn the facts.

In the Northern Zone, there has always been a cohabitation of bow and muzzleloader during the last week of bow season. In the southern zone muzzleloaders and bows share a common season from December 11 to December 19. That is not speculation if you take the time to look before you speak.

So as it turns out, the DEC has no problem running the two seasons together, and we do have firearms and bows sharing the same seasons.

Using that logic, bows are sharing a season with centerfire rifles! Hell, maybe the entire season is really just archery season and they just happen to let firearms in at certain points...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

long gun season and long bow season and still can't get the herd numbers down in many areas of the state. Let's face it. The majority of bowhunters take the season to kill the more pattern able bucks at that time of year. doe permits are an afterthought if done at all. I will give Doc kudos on this point, If situations arise where the reduction  and take goals continue to be unmet there may very well be a next step. First and foremost we are management tools. I know guys that are squawking like crazy against crossbows and  these same guys haven't shot does in years. Two of them don't even keep the buck meat they shoot. These are all in the high population area I live in. 

and i still will wave the flag that access is the problem. where i see deer running rampant are the burbs and parks, not the country. And yet, we continue to see pressure and stories from peta and others that don't want any scary bowhunters near their park or home. 

So yeah they can keep pushing dmp's up in huntable areas and it wont do anything but create less opportunities on that land. I do not disagree that bowhunters tend to pass doe early and I dont have an issue with that. Many of those same bowhunters will take a few with a gun. What season doesn't seem to matter to me as long as they're down.

If you really wanted you could extend the season into january for doe only, but i then worry about early drops being shot.

• Like 3

I agree with Belo . The parks and burbs have a lot of deer and are not huntable . Take a drive through Mendon Ponds Park and count the deer . Those deer go out and feed on farmer's crops at night . They should issue a few special permits to Bow Hunter's to cull some of those deer . 

Driving in Pittsford , I usually see plenty of deer on East Street , Thornell Road , VanVhoris Road just to name a few places in the burbs .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I agree with Belo . The parks and burbs have a lot of deer and are not huntable . Take a drive through Mendon Ponds Park and count the deer . Those deer go out and feed on farmer's crops at night . They should issue a few special permits to Bow Hunter's to cull some of those deer . 

Driving in Pittsford , I usually see plenty of deer on East Street , Thornell Road , VanVhoris Road just to name a few places in the burbs .

Depending where you are a lot of  those burbs deer  lost there fear of man and really don't make much of a challenge they don't even move when you get within 30 feet of them in some of those places .  

Depending where you are a lot of  those burbs deer  lost there fear of man and really don't make much of a challenge they don't even move when you get within 30 feet of them in some of those places .  

The point isn’t about hunting them, it’s that they are the deer that make the dec drive up permit numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, nyantler said:

Even more related when it comes to recurve crossbows

The point is you can easily get a compound to be more powerful even if you limit the poundage  because it uses cams .

So they go faster anyway your not limting anything except recurves with that law 

47 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

The point is you can easily get a compound to be more powerful even if you limit the poundage  because it uses cams .

So they go faster anyway your not limting anything except recurves with that law 

True but it's the law..so start writing your reps and get it changed.. because they won't change it on their own

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

Using that logic, bows are sharing a season with centerfire rifles! Hell, maybe the entire season is really just archery season and they just happen to let firearms in at certain points...

Isn't it the bowseason where they specifically refer to it as a "privilege", or have they finally dropped that language.

Bow and muzzleloader are both called privledge because you cannot buy them seperate from hunting.. it only allows you the added privledge of hunt during that season.. ( done before bonus tags were added for each season) if you could buy seperate like most states you would just get tags for that season and not need a gun hunting course..  think of one buck rule and what season you want to hunt in..

• Like 1

My new crossbow is "illegal" although it's way slower than many other legal ones.

Honestly I don't give a crap about a BS law. I'm an adult if I get a ticket "very unlikely" I will pay it and carry it the next day no different than if I get a ticket today when I set my Cruise 8mph over the speed limit.

I bought mine for how well it shoots and how it decocks if there was a legal one that did this as well I would have bought it.

3aa434d6be5fd20b2d895ff799f5bd27.pngbb9238b363ae98170bdc012ce3d4c15a.png

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My new crossbow is "illegal" although it's way slower than many other legal ones.

Honestly I don't give a crap about a BS law. I'm an adult if I get a ticket "very unlikely" I will pay it and carry it the next day no different than if I get a ticket today when I set my Cruise 8mph over the speed limit.

I bought mine for how well it shoots and how it decocks if there was a legal one that did this as well I would have bought it.

What model  did you get?

Ok never mind I see it now 

Edited by Storm914

Here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about 

I would like buy this  260ib recurve crossbow   its not that powerful  compared to a lot of the  compound crossbow  that are  200  ib but because of that dumb law  I cant legally hunt with it .

Even though the power is just average 

MICRO 315

Velocity

315 FPS

Cocking Effort

Draw Weight (LB)

Mass Weight

Arrow Length

Arrow Weight

min 350gr

Stock Type

Feather-Lite

On 1/5/2018 at 4:36 AM, Doc said:

Speaking of not knowing what you are talking about, refer to http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html#deer and learn the facts.

In the Northern Zone, there has always been a cohabitation of bow and muzzleloader during the last week of bow season. In the southern zone muzzleloaders and bows share a common season from December 11 to December 19. That is not speculation if you take the time to look before you speak.

So as it turns out, the DEC has no problem running the two seasons together, and we do have firearms and bows sharing the same seasons.

Im not talking about the NZ. The debate about putting guns or muzzleloaders in the early bow season has to do with the SZ. Whatever you have to do to twist things to try and prove your point though...

14 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Have you ever hunted in the burbs? I used to, and I can tell you, the picture you paint is way off.

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Have you ever hunted in the burbs? I used to, and I can tell you, the picture you paint is way off.

If you like I can take you a picture of me standing within 20 feet of a deer in a park near me  in the burbs . And the deer will not even move .

On 1/5/2018 at 4:36 AM, Doc said:

They do co-exist up here.. 

And it sucks!

Part of the reason we have 0 dmps in my unit.

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

If you like I can take you a picture of me standing within 20 feet of a deer in a park near me  in the burbs . And the deer will not even move .

Sure, Id like to see that. Sounds to me like the deer in that park are being hand fed (illegally) by the local residents, etc. Thats a bit of a different thing than the vast majority of suburban deer.

• Like 2