NYS Tree Seedling Sale

Ha ! Well ya see, if you notice my sig pic, I'm better at cutting them than growing them. Lol.

But, we planted all trees within 2 days of recieving. Long spade shovel, stick er in, wiggle back and forth, make sure roots are all stretched out not in a clump (as deep as you can get them), mark with ribbon and on to the next. We planted in areas with golden rod that I had brush hogged prior to planting. We DID NOT weed whack or trim around trees. My dad's theory was the tree will work hard at growing over the weeds if it wants to live (and trees want to live). Some of them prob grew 6-10" and the tallest growers were the ones surrounded by the tallest golden rod. Now that was pines. The black walnuts were planted on the old creek bottom where we had just logged about 15 nice mature black walnuts. They didn't grow much but they weren't dead. Some dissapeared as the whole area was under about 6' of water for a few days. Hopefully they survive. If you are planting some specific trees you should research the areas they like - willows like wet, apples like sun etc. Good luck !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I took my order of White Spruce in the spring. I did not plant them in the ground at camp. I kept them in containers with really rich soil for the spring and summer. Planted them in the fall. Out off 300 trees probably 250 made it. This was 10 years ago from seedlings to some at 12 feet now!

• Like 3

What pine would you suggest as best for winter cover, bedding?..... I was thinking a white cedar and some pine. I want to thicken up the buffer on my land behind some neighbors(none who hunt). Its an area I cant hunt and was thinking if I thickened it up it would be a good small sanctuary.

Also any leads on where to get the tree covers at the best cost?

Thanx

15 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Ha ! Well ya see, if you notice my sig pic, I'm better at cutting them than growing them. Lol.

But, we planted all trees within 2 days of recieving. Long spade shovel, stick er in, wiggle back and forth, make sure roots are all stretched out not in a clump (as deep as you can get them), mark with ribbon and on to the next. We planted in areas with golden rod that I had brush hogged prior to planting. We DID NOT weed whack or trim around trees. My dad's theory was the tree will work hard at growing over the weeds if it wants to live (and trees want to live). Some of them prob grew 6-10" and the tallest growers were the ones surrounded by the tallest golden rod. Now that was pines. The black walnuts were planted on the old creek bottom where we had just logged about 15 nice mature black walnuts. They didn't grow much but they weren't dead. Some dissapeared as the whole area was under about 6' of water for a few days. Hopefully they survive. If you are planting some specific trees you should research the areas they like - willows like wet, apples like sun etc. Good luck !!

The same goes with my method of planting food plots. Leave a dead "layer or mat" of vegetation. It acts as a barrier from the harsh sun rays and keeps moisture in when they get watered or rained on! I like that! Good post man!

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

What pine would you suggest as best for winter cover, bedding?..... I was thinking a white cedar and some pine. I want to thicken up the buffer on my land behind some neighbors(none who hunt). Its an area I cant hunt and was thinking if I thickened it up it would be a good small sanctuary.

Also any leads on where to get the tree covers at the best cost?

Thanx

Been told White Pine works well for thermal cover. Especially in native grasses and such. Clumps or patches of them. 3 or 4 per "patch". Im new to it and have not seen the results yet. but I know ive seen deer bed on our properties under a couple White pines, Hemlock or Cedars. 

• Like 1

Pines are great LATE season thermal covers, but don't forget the importance on summer/fall thermal cover as well. Obviously you want to hold deer all year but sometimes for hunting summer/fall thermals can hold deer for you DURING season. Big canopy and undergrowth holds deer for the summer. Hickory, oaks and even beech in proper conditions grow fairly fast, produce food and imo are a great summer thermal and "deer" tree. The obvious is oaks, but they grow so dang slow that your kids kids will be the ones that benefit from your planting ( no reason not too, though !!) They canopy nice and keep the deer cool,then once the leaves are gone give food, after that's all over they may move on to better forage but consider the timeframe of when they would hang in those areas !

White pine, blue spruce,  red cedar grow slow, but works.  I planted white cedar.  The deer just hammer them, even in the summer when everything they can eat s around them.  I planted white spruce, not the best for deer to sleep under, but they'll bed in a thick area.  Close out a small spot in cedar and pine, and then let the middle thicken up....  They may not bed, but they'll use it as cover to travel atleast..

I make 3 types of cover........   Bedding, travel corridors, and spots for the hunter to travel to their stands.   One place I got thick cover on one side, but planted a patch of grass for quiest travel alongside that thicket....

NYSDEC is a great resource, but they're small and young.  Critter can tear them to bits in no time.  Red dogwood is a nice one to get too.

paper birch went quick last year.

The confier species in plugs go quickly too.

For me,  (25)  pussy willow, (25)specked alder, (100) red dog wood and (25) white cedar to replaced the one deer ate, (100) white spruce for more privacy in my yard and cover for the deer to travel behind, and then (25) toringo crabapples.  I am putting the crab apples in pots for a year or two.  These will replace my old and dying apple trees in my 25 tree or so orchard...  Might expand it a bit too.