triple BY PASS operation and archery

sweet old bill

• sweet old bill changed the title to triple BY PASS operation and archery

Bill - I was cracked open to fix a torn mitral valve in August of 2016. For the first 10 weeks after, my surgeon was in charge of dictating all physical activity. I'm sure everyone's situation is different but if I remember, I was restricted to lifting no more than 10lbs the first four weeks. It then increased to 25lbs and at 10 weeks it was whatever I was comfortable doing. Drawing a bow probably wouldn't have been something comfortable at that point. Muscle wise for me it was probably about 6 months before my chest felt fully healed and to the same point it was prior to the surgery.  Good luck with the surgery and hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Edited by MPHunter

3 hours ago, sweet old bill said:

I am having a triple by pass operation on Friday. How soon will I be able to shoot and if you had the operation how long was the recovery ?

Good luck Bill.  Your body will let you know and its possible that it could be 6 months before you feel the strength. I hope the full inclusion Xbow law works in your favor if you never feel comfortable pulling a bow back again?

I had a several extensive surgeries in the months leading up to this past archery season. (NON- heart related)

By the time season rolled around, my mind was telling me my body was ready to shoot and hunt, BUT my body wasn't on the same page.

As frustrating s it was, you just gotta take things slow and heal up properly if you ever hope to do the things you enjoy again. Heck, you may even come to realize some of your interests you felt so strongly about before your surgery aren't nearly as important to you any more once you get to feeling better. Major surgery can have a drastic influence on how you place priority on different aspects of your life. Best of luck to you this Friday, and no need to rush figuring it all out.

• Like 5

Having professionally helped many heart surgery patients recover, I cant emphasize enough to closely follow your cardiac surgeons recommendations. Do NOT try to "push the envelope" Unfortunately cardiac surgery happens in the absolute worst possible anatomical position for archery shooters, and non adherence to recommendations could be catastrophic. Be sure to discuss with your surgeon your activities, so he fully understands your concerns. Frequently, post op patients feel up to doing things far sooner than is actually safe. A good friend of mine had bypass surgery, had recovered post operatively wonderfully well, and felt he was up to doing some light chores....using his wood splitter. He was found face down on the ground. 

• Like 1

Bill- you have been given some excellent advice by the members who have replied. Listen to your heart doctor and follow his advice. Do not try and speed things up. My late dad had double by pass surgery many years ago and followed his doctor's advice and did not rush things. He was able to recover and I enjoyed many more years after that hunting with him. When the time comes, you might want to consider going to a lighter draw weight bow and cut on contact broadheads. This combo will be easier on you and will be just as deadly on deer. I am now 66 years old and had to do this as I grew older as you naturally lose your upper body strength with age and have to make adjustments. When I was a younger man, I drew a 70# bow and used mechanical broadheads. I now draw a 57# bow and use magnus stinger cut on contact broadheads. I actually think I have had much better results with my present lighter weight combo, and have made many pass through shots on deer with this. I wish you good health and a speedy recovery.

valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add

Bill, wishing you a speedy and full recovery from your surgery. Prayers and good vibes are being sent your way. 

The Doc's and the PT people will work with you, and let you know what you can do, and when. Don't rush it! You have almost ten months to get ready. A lighter draw weight will help. I shoot just over 50lbs now, and killed a buck last fall after some shoulder surgery in May. In time, after this repair job, you will feel 'pert as a ruttin buck'!  Good luck sir.

definitely consult your doc for that question.  don't try to hurry things along and do it all by the book.  that said don't expect any limited outcome he foresees as truth.  rehab by the book with an open mind that you can be better off in the end then the docs thought.  docs said my dad was going to be in a wheelchair all his life from an accident full of breaks, aches, and pains.  he does farm work and loads hay every week.

wish you the best getting through it.  all said and done might want to shoot the bow down south and not here in NY. weather is getting a bit belligerent.

Edited by dbHunterNY