TGE PASSING OF A LEGEND

SchrnLker

It is with heavy hearts and deep sadness that we report the sudden passing of longtime D&DH Senior Field Editor Charles J. Alsheimer of Bath, N.Y. Charlie was not only our longest-tenured contributor (since 1979), he was a very dear friend to everyone on our staff. His insights on deer behavior and hunting helped educated countless thousands of whitetail fanatics. Rest in peace, sir.

Image may contain: 1 person, camera and outdoor
  • Like 11

His photography, deer knowledge, writing and hunting skills, lunar rut charts, and down to earth manner, set him a step above most of the outdoor media types. Condolences to his family and friends. He will be sorely missed. RIP Charlie.

• Like 1

What a bummer. Charlie's writing is what really got me into hunting when I was a teen. He would write about his place and his hunts and I could just imagine being there with him watching over his shoulder. Years later I met him only to find out I'd been driving right by his house every weekend heading to my uncle's camp. His pictures, writing and insights into deer behavior will be missed! 

• Like 1

Read his stuff as a young hunter trying to gain any insight into this great sport. 

Definitely contributed to the hunting community. 

Prayers to you and his family. Think I still have one of his books buried downstairs. Think I'll try to find it.  

A true inspection to my becoming the hunter I am today.  Few tears rolling down my cheek... 

Edited by mowin

A very sad day, we lost a good one for sure! His love for whitetails and his knowledge of them along with his photography and writings were at the highest level and he will be missed. I attended a lecture 2 years ago and he seemed like he was in great shape, but you never know. My condolences to his family and friends.

Charlie was a friend. Met him 20 years ago when I started ANTLER magazine. We frequently did deer management seminars together back then. He was a gracious man. Some of you may not know, but Charlie was one of the original founders and officers of the NYS Big Buck Club. I had the privilege of photographing some of the same deer Charlie made famous years ago... he allowed me an exclusive day of picture taking at the Avery farm... his favorite place to photograph. Some of those deer were later moved to his property in Bath, NY in the late 1990's where he began new studies on whitetails to help promote the idea of Quality Deer Management as well as do continued research on the moon phase relation to the whitetail rut. He will be sadly missed.

• Like 1

Wow met him a few times at some game dinners. I have 3 or 4 of his books that he signed. He was always a class act he. Had a way to make you think, not just about deer hunting but also about life. He will be missed.

Does anyone know what happened?

Charlie's book on "A Guild to Adirondack Deer Hunting" and "Whitetail: The Ultimate Challenge"  where 2 books that inspired me to try and become an Adirondack Deer Hunter.  His insight and knowledge was unmatched he will be missed dearly. 

I always looked forward to his rut predictions and his insightful articles.  His knowledge, experience and thoughtfulness will live on with his legacy. 

RIP  Prayers to the family.  So sad. 

• Like 1