Lyman Mustang

Doewhacker

I have discovered the best way to get a new gun is to have my son (who is also a lefty) adopt one of my older guns. This ML season he carried my Lyman Buckstalker and loved it so I decided to let him have it and get myself a new gun. I have wanted a Mustang for a while and I like Lyman so it was a no brainer. I was able to find one on muzzle loaders.com for a great price of $269 and ordered it up. It’s not a high end gun by any means but it will get the job done, fits and looks good. 

The wood is actually a “wood finish” but you’d never know by looking at it. 

1/28 twist will handle any bullet but I am going to start with my favorite Hornady Great Plains in 385 grains pushed by Goex. 

Eventualy I will add a scope, nothing fancy but serviceable will do the trick. 

I can’t wait to carry it next year! 

B1803152-D0FD-4804-9511-15ED3C4465E1.jpeg

1C5F904B-B8DA-4BBA-B380-E456D846672D.jpeg

F232FCFE-C23E-4E29-99CB-E0AABF1FE75C.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, silent death said:

Me likey ...not bad for 300$ I'll take the wood stocks over synthetics any day..I just may have to find one of them myself

Its tough to find an inline ML with a wood stock, and one that isn't a bunch of money.

The draw back of this gun is that it wont shoot BH209 with out a little drill work to the Breech plug and it has been known to have a larger bore compared to others. The right bullet will take care of that.

• Like 1

Hey Lefty,  I am too.  Almost pulled the trigger on a David Pendersoli but opted out at the last second.  I can order it from Cablelas and use up a bunch of points.  I have a Thompson Triumph now and would like to add a more traditional muzzleloader to the arsenal.   Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

The Lyman looks like a nice gun too

16 minutes ago, Otto said:

Hey Lefty,  I am too.  Almost pulled the trigger on a David Pendersoli but opted out at the last second.  I can order it from Cablelas and use up a bunch of points.  I have a Thompson Triumph now and would like to add a more traditional muzzleloader to the arsenal.   Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

The Lyman looks like a nice gun too

Lyman offers lefty’s in flint lock or 11 cap in the Deerstalker and Great Plains and Traditions has a Deer Hunter in left hand too. 

There ain’t a lot out there for lefty’s in the ML world. I bought the Deerstalker about twenty years ago and my choices were limited then too. The good thing is they can be purchased online and shipped to your house.