How does a chickadee survive?

Robhuntandfish

It always seemed amazing to me that something as small and frail as a chickadee can survive in this extreme cold.  Its not supposed to get above 0 here Friday and Saturday with wind chills up to -30.  You'd think they would just drop out of the sky like a snowball - frozen.  Did you see in florida they issued a warning to watch for falling lizards?  cause the temps are so low they fall out of trees etc.  ( oh no its a sign of the apocolypse!!  lol) 

Stay warm and indoors if you can! 

• Like 1

it just amazes me how these little tiny animals have enough body heat to survive.  Or their feet dont just freeze to something and dropoff.  In that kind of cold exposure for us in 20 minutes is frostbite.  Yes i know they arent like us but cold is cold and its hard to believe they survive.  

• Like 1

I like all birds but I love seeing chickadees.They seem to get the closet and are always entertaining.A few years ago at first light I saw one pop out of a little hole in the side of a tree and go about it's day.The colder it is the more I see them. Chick-a-dee dee dee !!!!

• Like 3

Love chickadees. I swear you can call them in if they’re around the vicinity.  Have had them land on our natural ground blind , shooting rail on ladder stand , end of  turkey gun barrel  , ml , brim of hat , tree umbrella etc. And again there’s always a nuthatch mixed in with them. Funny as they look alike. Like someone mentioned , the colder it is the more I see them too. 

• Like 1

That don't look the bottom of the gorge at Letchworth FSW.

Nope. That's my farm land that borders the Safety zone of the Park before they cross the Park road and head to the bottom. That's the nice thing if having land on each end of the state and an awesome place like the park to hunt. That hedgerow between two Alfalfa fields is nothing short of a buck funnel coming on and off the Park b1bf60c8a3a18a69cc25fe2fe88d86dd.jpg. The last victim from that very stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Fluff their feathers pick berries off bushes and get into cover. Like so many others. Animals seem to do fine if left outdoors we are the ones that take that ability away from our dogs and cats by keeping them in the house.. back when you didn't get arrested for having a dog outside out cookies and husky wo old just burrow in the snow or get under overhang..they rarely.used doghouse no matter how much straw we insulated it with.. cats always seemed to use that...

It always seemed amazing to me that something as small and frail as a chickadee can survive in this extreme cold.  Its not supposed to get above 0 here Friday and Saturday with wind chills up to -30.  You'd think they would just drop out of the sky like a snowball - frozen.  Did you see in florida they issued a warning to watch for falling lizards?  cause the temps are so low they fall out of trees etc.  ( oh no its a sign of the apocolypse!!  lol) 
Stay warm and indoors if you can! 
Yes they fall with a serious thud. My wife literally had one fall 6 feet from her out of a tree 40 feet high the last "freeze" we had down here. It measured 3 1/2 feet long.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

Freezing is a good thing.less bugs, snakes, alligators, and lizards and possums... one good thing of living in the north

Hey, maybe the tick invasion will slow down a bit ...... Maybe? Yeah, as I sit here shivering from the umpteenth consecutive day of frigid arctic temps, I will be concentrating on all the good it might be doing. behind every bit of misery, there does seem to be something positive that comes from it all.

Are we setting any kinds of records with this cold crap?

8 hours ago, gjs4 said:

Chickadees are always pleasant company during treestand vigils. Love those little guys. 2715c68318532e495500b6d6046e18e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

me too! I like to dip them in honey mustard for a treestand snack!  yummy .  lol   kidding ...........  yeah they are entertaining esp when they fly into your ground blind .  lol   One time had 4 of them quabbling over who was gonna perch on my arrow.  

me too! I like to dip them in honey mustard for a treestand snack!  yummy .  lol   kidding ...........  yeah they are entertaining esp when they fly into your ground blind .  lol   One time had 4 of them quabbling over who was gonna perch on my arrow.  

Ironically I had some honey mustard pretzels this past year and they were going bonkers over the crumbs......Must be something to that seasoning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1