Blizzard on LI

First-light

Winds are pretty bad right now, everything closed down. 2-3 inches of snow this morning per hour followed by another 7. What I'm worried about are these cold temps Friday-Sunday. Could be a huge problem if power goes out! Be safe fellow Long Ilanders!

Edited by First-light
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, First-light said:

Winds are pretty bad right now, everything closed down. 2-3 inches of snow this morning per hour followed by another 7. What I'm worried about are these cold temps Friday-Sunday. Could be a huge problem if power goes out! Be safe fellow Long Ilanders!

Cold and snow I can deal with but these blustery winds we do not need,a power outage at this time would be real bad.My only heat source would be my gas range/stove and thats not good to do for long periods of time.BeSafe out there

Long Island is simply not prepared to deal with snow. No plows , lack of salt. People don’t own snow blowers or shovels.
Sister is here in Buffalo and lives in Farmingville on Long Island. Going to be an interesting ride for those Long Islanders for sure. Be smart and safe people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Long Island is simply not prepared to deal with snow. No plows , lack of salt. People don’t own snow blowers or shovels.
Sister is here in Buffalo and lives in Farmingville on Long Island. Going to be an interesting ride for those Long Islanders for sure. Be smart and safe people.

Yeah long island is looking to get upwards of 18" of snow. Not good. Here in Brooklyn and im very close to the bays and ocean, we are looking at aroumd 10". But with these drifts, some areas look like theres 10" already and it just started a couple hours ago, ..ugh...and the worst part its so damn cold.

2 hours ago, Dom said:

Cold and snow I can deal with but these blustery winds we do not need,a power outage at this time would be real bad.My only heat source would be my gas range/stove and thats not good to do for long periods of time.BeSafe out there

Your pellet doesn't burn with no power? I would be getting a couple deep cycle batteries or at least a power inverter you could hook to your vehicle and run an extension cord.

Edited by chas0218

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What's a snow blower ...shovel?? lol

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I installed a generator transfer switch this summer......lets me switch over and run the furnance, sump pump, some lights and the fridge and freezer.

The best investment I have made in a while.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I plan on installing an interloc on my panel so I can pick and choose what I want to have power and not limit me to just a few circuits.

Daughter is supposed to fly from Buff to NYC tomorrow night, she’s Maid of Honor and the bridle shower is this week end .

She flys for work also and I tell you if she’s on your flight change it , because it’ll be canceled , delayed , missed connections every time !

I plan on installing an interloc on my panel so I can pick and choose what I want to have power and not limit me to just a few circuits.
I guess in the end I really don't need that many...so the transfer switch met my needs.
In the grand scheme of things as long as the furnance and sump are working.....I am a happy man.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Come on people I need more pictures. I love a good snow storm! Keep in mind only enough snow to get things canceled and stay home for the day. I don't need 6+ feet like 2 years ago. 3 feet would work just fine I think. 

All the schools here in WNY are closing tomorrow for the extreme cold (-20's with windchill). I'll still be at work though. 

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They have plows but not equipped well enough for decent snowfall in the amount of them. 

TF stop spreading Rumors...lol...Come down my block in Brooklyn, every other house uses a snowblower and if your old theres plenty kids and adults going around looking for work. Trust me,  we are all well equipped. 

• Like 2