Blizzard on LI

First-light

Going to be -8 (not counting wind chill) Saturday into Sunday. 13 straight days under freezing means ice fishing. I’m not happy since I don’t ice fish anyway I would rather more fish (trout) in the local reservoirs in the spring.

Here’s a pic as of 345pm. Wind still howling. I’ll be praying Sunday my pipes don’t freeze. Might leave water running over night.

b30dfa006751565b62fca108671736ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Going to be -8 (not counting wind chill) Saturday into Sunday. 13 straight days under freezing means ice fishing. I’m not happy since I don’t ice fish anyway I would rather more fish (trout) in the local reservoirs in the spring.

Here’s a pic as of 345pm. Wind still howling. I’ll be praying Sunday my pipes don’t freeze. Might leave water running over night.

b30dfa006751565b62fca108671736ac.jpg

Hey Biz, there's a buck on your lawn!  Go get your bow!! LOL

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

They have plows but not equipped well enough for decent snowfall in the amount of them. 

I don't think so. They do a great job on all the roads and use some heavy equipment. HellI was in Northport this afternoon and they were trucking out the snow on main street with backhoes and dump trucks. We get it done !

image.thumb.jpeg.03c0bc3008478d8d48b76272e934a977.jpegWe have plenty of heavy equipment with some big plows to get it done down here. I've been going since 6am. This pic is one of the harder spots to keep clean. There is open a farm field on the left and the wind whips in right off the sound causing some pretty big drifts in the road. Once the snow stops, the town clears this spot with a giant truck mounted snow thrower. This pic was taken at about 1:45 this afternoon. I was not plowing this road, but just using it as a turn around for an adjacent road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

this is going to screw up the shotgun season for a while here.

I don't think so. It'll be windy and cold for the next 2 days and when it opens on Sunday, they're going to be very hungry and easy to track. Not to mention probably herded up pretty good. Aside from having to trudge thru the snow,, I think it's going to be a pretty good first week. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What a cool video. No pun intended 

It just goes to show you that even even on a windy nasty day, they still have to feed. And it's usually somewhere out of the wind whether it's in a hollow, behind a house, or anywhere that there is a lee. 

Whats up with the tag? 

No hunting in Staten Island. I’m no expert on that area but I believe it’s overpopulated with deer so they catch the deer, tranquilize them, and sterilize them. I’m assuming they also added the tag

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No hunting in Staten Island. I’m no expert on that area but I believe it’s overpopulated with deer so they catch the deer, tranquilize them, and sterilize them. I’m assuming they also added the tag

Interesting, Thanks 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, First-light said:

Ah Ha.......Now I get why I saw a dead buck just over the Varazano bridge a few months ago with a tag in its ear #440. 

Yes, i have a friend that witnessed DEC or a state agency where they would tranquilize bucks, sterilize  them and then place an ear tag. This method does not seem to be working as the population is still increasing. Besides theres always  unsterilized deer that venture over from NJ.