Has The Extreme Cold Kept You From Predator Hunting So Far?

We usually start our predator hunting right after Christmas. But due to below zero wind chills, and very cold temps, we have not yet been out. Maybe I'm getting soft as I age. But we like to hunt for the experience, and enjoyment of calling in the predators we hunt. With this extreme cold, it just is not enjoyable for me to venture out. Looking forward to getting out after the weather moderates just a bit. Anyone else getting out after them? Anyone else saying it's just not fun to go out in these conditions? I do know this weather makes for some hungry coyotes and foxes. And could possibly be more conducive for hunting. But is it worth it? What'a ya think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It has for me. Missing out on the recent full moon sucked, but just not worth it. I figure the coyotes will be even hungrier in March. Coincidentally, my cell phone trail cam picked up a picture of a coyote at 8:30 p.m. the other night. There is still time in the season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I haven't done a lot of yote hunting but it has kept me from a few rabbit hunts.  Just too cold. And with weather like this it ends up being 11 hour days at work.  

Yea me to like to small game hunt  this time of year but not when it is this cold  

• Like 1

Nope. Headed out here shortly. Got involved in the "wny predator slam" contest. Today till Sunday. Ugh. Got about 3826663848 hand warmers ready to deploy. Hopefully we score as I can't imagine the preds are gonna be moving too much in this crap.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Nope. Headed out here shortly. Got involved in the "wny predator slam" contest. Today till Sunday. Ugh. Got about 3826663848 hand warmers ready to deploy. Hopefully we score as I can't imagine the preds are gonna be moving too much in this crap.

Good luck! Hope you get a few down!

3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Good luck and stay warm!updates and pics

Update. 4 sets. High winds and gusts. No eyes or action. Oh, it was a bit chilly too. Decided to call it before burning a bunch of hotspots.

Left last set and saw fresh fox tracks up the street.... If only it could have heard the call in the winds !!!

After em again in the am all day. And sun am as well.

Thanks for the well wishes !!! I'll be sure to post success pics !!

• Like 3

When I was a young fellow I had a totally different mindset when it came to any kind of hunting. I was so driven to be successful and about as gung-ho as one can get, considered any hunt to be a bust if I came home empty handed.  I would endure all kinds of foul weather to make successful hunts happen, the right cold or wet weather gear will make things bearable but things will still be tough. Yes I killed stuff and I have to say when it is cold like it is now I have had pretty good luck but I went through some pretty miserable hunts to get it done.

As an old guy today I am a fair weather boy and when I hunt I want to enjoy myself and be halfway comfortable, do not take nowhere near the game I once did, I find myself letting a lot a stuff walk but I still enjoy myself just being out there.

Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I've never gone after em in the real extremes. Coldest I ever hunted before was around 0 and decided they don't react when that cold. They don't seem to move till cold snaps let up. If it were for the contest i sure would have stayed in. End of the month should be real good once the boys are after the girls.

• Like 1

How did that contest end up?
Looks like hunting wny is running a fox bowl beginning of Feb.....may give that a shot if temps level out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sucked. Not many kills. I think there was 8 Yotes and 20ish fox. 14 of those came from the 1st place team from Broome county. 68 teams total. Weather was harsh and the fur wasn't moving much. I know I made a mistake by leaving erie and hunting catt county sat night

I hunted the slam fri and saturday night. I had eyes at the back of my field at just over 300 yards friday night but wouldnt come in. Saturday night went out with 2 buddies in marilla. 4 sets, 1st set we decided to move 5 minutes too soon. Buddy had a yote at the edge of the woods spot him as he stood up. Last set we got a red fox. Long night but never really got cold. The weigh in was a good time, came away with a foxpro caller,  buddy got a wicked lights gun light, and other budfy got a interesting decoy. Good times.

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 4