Can dogs withstand this cold weather ?

Hunter007

Saw something about dog in NYC owner getting in trouble for keeping dog out in this cold. .

So my question is don't some people  keep there dogs  outside  in a dog house upstate all year round  or 

Do they bring them in when it gets  to cold ?

Does it depend on the breed .

Just wondering .

Edited by Storm914

I just watched a program "Life Below Zero" that was showing dog-sledders up in Alaska where during a race, the dogs spent the night outside laying on straw. And that was with some real cold temperatures. Most likely it depends on the breed as to how well they fare in this kind of weather. I would imagine that the short-hair breeds don't make out so good. But I would bring the dog inside during this weather. It can't be real pleasant out there even for long-haired dogs.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

Depends on breed and if they have been kept outside..many large breeds have 2 hair coats an undercoat and a longer coat. 

People do not want to hear this but we are the ones that are uncomfortable. Or create the problems.. small and  hairless dog breeds that would die in northern climates are kept. Just arguing about a photo someone took of dog in back of pickup.. was a large breed standing behind cab. Going down road.. everyone screaming animal.cruelty report it.. the dog prolly wanted to go in back  use to where it rides.. had tool.box in back if dog was cold it would lay down and curl up to get out of wind. But every knows it's cruelty.. dog looked like it was having good time.. 

How many times do you just see horses or cattle just standing out in field even when shelter is available.. as long as dogs aren't chained out in open with no shelter I really just mind my own buisness.. seriously people in the suburbs would all have heart attacks if they saw all the animals that live in the country..working dogs..farm cats. Pigs horses cows just having fun in the snow..

If reasonable shelter is given or available animals do quite fine. Look at ccoyote. Bobcats..lynx. rabbits, bear, deer..birds, as long as they can get out of wind they do pretty well.. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Depends on breed and if they have been kept outside..many large breeds have 2 hair coats an undercoat and a longer coat. 

People do not want to hear this but we are the ones that are uncomfortable. Or create the problems.. small and  hairless dog breeds that would die in northern climates are kept. Just arguing about a photo someone took of dog in back of pickup.. was a large breed standing behind cab. Going down road.. everyone screaming animal.cruelty report it.. the dog prolly wanted to go in back  use to where it rides.. had tool.box in back if dog was cold it would lay down and curl up to get out of wind. But every knows it's cruelty.. dog looked like it was having good time.. 

How many times do you just see horses or cattle just standing out in field even when shelter is available.. as long as dogs aren't chained out in open with no shelter I really just mind my own buisness.. seriously people in the suburbs would all have heart attacks if they saw all the animals that live in the country..working dogs..farm cats. Pigs horses cows just having fun in the snow..

If reasonable shelter is given or available animals do quite fine. Look at ccoyote. Bobcats..lynx. rabbits, bear, deer..birds, as long as they can get out of wind they do pretty well.. 

You got wild cats all over the place and even wild dogs which are genetically almost the same as wolfs which live fine outdoors . 

But I really don't know. 

Just saying seemed like someone in the city over reacted to something that to the dog was no big deal .

The news report which I missed part of   said he got in trouble for just leaving the dog out for a few hours . Not even over night .

Not sure what fine he got for it exactly missed that part. 

I know its heat that can kill them never heard dogs having a problem in cold .

People always overreact in situations, especially when they think they know what’s going on. People don’t see the whole picture. People want to swoop in and be a hero of sorts, they don’t think what they might be doing to a dog that only knows one way and is healthy and happy. People should mind their own business 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Our Golden was only out for a few minutes this morning at -2. She was doing the lifting and rotating of feet on the ground by the time she came back in. She’s a little bit of a wuss but bare paw to ground has to be cold ! 

And the dog is an indoor fair weather dog..it's prolly never primed it's fur by acclimating to the cold.. think of it like this in the fall you bundle up.when it's 50 out.. come spring 50 is heat wave break out the grill and shorts..  same holds true for dogs.. I have a indoor fair weather cat.. loves to be outside.. last few weeks crys to gp out looks out and decides nope.. but her friend that lives in the barn is out hunting like nothing is wrong.. people's dogs are the same.a primarily  outdoor dog will not come in..we had a husky that we tried to bring in.. 2 min and it wanted back out in the blizzard.. all cases are different.. the dog pic in back of pickup seemed well acclimated but everyone knew it was animal abuse... 

If it obvious like a Mexican hairless shivering on a porch for hours..yes intervene..otherwise mind your own buisness .

Depends on the breed and how they are used to living. I know the club I was in in Virginia had deer dogs (beagles and foxhound mixes). They stayed outside all year long, but they would put straw in their boxes once it started getting real cold, and they survived. Unless the dog is a husky, I doubt they enjoy the cold like this much, but most will do OK. I'm pretty sure the insulated boxes stay around 45 degrees.

11 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I am know expert but I think most breeds devoped in cold climates and if not brought up indoors  have know trouble living in the cold just like wolfs  foxes and coyotes do .

I think people spoil them .

Thats called turning wolves into dogs  . It's my favorite analogy to sum up our last presidents 8 years in office. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Dunno if they can but I don't need to find out.  My dog is my buddy, I'm not leaving him outside in this cold.  Why would you?  

Your way is your right way, why does it matter how others do it?

I have two house dogs, one can't handle this cold and the other has to be forced in. I have brought in the dogs from the kennel because of the cold and they are not happy in here at all, they run back to kennel

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Kiki mostly lives indoors but it was her fastest bathroom trip ever this morning.  She couldn’t wait to get back indoors.   

I often pee outside at night with Gus, it’s one way we bond and another way to,tick off the Mrs. I’ve been skipping that lately .

He seems kinda sad over it .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Paula said:

I have mine on a foot or so of straw. They still sleep in front of doorway. I have a heat lamp over them and now the sleep in other corner. I guess that means they don’t want it. 

They are smart enough to know it's dangerous to go from heat to cold.. it's the same as when people have heat cranked in cars and trucks and then get out.. the shock the body goes thru is so bad for it.. your better off having little heat to take chill off then stepping out to a 80 degree drop in temp and going into shock

3 hours ago, Paula said:

Your way is your right way, why does it matter how others do it?

I have two house dogs, one can't handle this cold and the other has to be forced in. I have brought in the dogs from the kennel because of the cold and they are not happy in here at all, they run back to kennel

Didn't say it did.  But doesn't make sense to me if you have a warmer spot for them in -25 wind chills.  Seems like common sense.  

I'm just not gonna take the chance when it's not necessary.  No need to.  

Glad your kennel works out for them.  But because the dog is so used to being in the kennel and wants to go back out, doesn't necessarily mean it's safe for them if it gets too cold.  

Even kids you have to tell them to come in or not go out if it's too cold.  The dogs reasoning might not mean it's the best idea.  But not judging here - I just wouldn't leave mine out when I don't have to.  Just not taking the chance is all. Just like I wouldn't leave them outside in 100 degree sun if I don't have to. 

My dog would also like to run in the road but I don't let him. Lol

Edited by Robhuntandfish

People tend to humanize pets too much and forget that they're not built like humans.  That being said, I don't think those paws were ever genetically evolved to walk on cold/hot concrete or asphalt.  Especially this time of year with the rock salt.

• Like 1

I had hounds and beagles for years. Most of them wanted no part of being in the house. Fresh hay/straw and a good doghouse is what they wanted. There were a few that came in and stayed when it was cold, but most just wanted to stay in there coops. I worried about it a lot more than the dogs did. I can say that these were working dogs, and in some cases, worth a few thousand bucks. They were on high quality food, and they were working dogs that were used to the outside.

The little dog we have now is worth about 50 cents, and I have to put a coat on her and she can't take the cold for more than 5-10 minutes.