water issues

Dom

I just found out why we have no water Someone in the area has pumped nearly 40000 gallons of fresh potable water into the septic to keep pipes from freezing.This needs to be stopped,I take every measure to conserve water and any other daily needs and some AssHole is going to waste that amount of water to keep pipes from freezing and now they have no water them selves A big  to them

Standard flow is about 2gpm wide open . That’s a lot of days to get that amount , seems odd.

He would need to flow wide open for like two weeks to hit 40k gallons . And what kind of system can’t handle 2,800 gallons a day of extra use ?

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 8:01 PM, fasteddie said:

The guy probably kept the faucet running so the flow wouldn't let lines freeze . End result .... he screwed a lot of people out of water .

Exactly what happened not just one house many use the same well system,this caused many hydrants to freeze.I am now day 4 with no running water been getting water from creek to flush and washing and am at nearly the end of my not being pissed off.I enjoy camping but this is insane

thats nuts you dont have water meters. i live in queens and pay though the nose for water and sewer[thank you mike bloomburg] it would have been much more respectful and a hell of a lot cheaper to go to home depot and but the heat tape .thats what they are made for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rachunter said:

That is insane and dangerous  .I'm surprised the fire marshal isn't shutting them down and handing out fines.

That is in the process/ We have lost homes because they thought pipe were frozen/over 200 homes most with children they/we have heat so shut down  is no option/

7 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

thats nuts you dont have water meters. i live in queens and pay though the nose for water and sewer[thank you mike bloomburg] it would have been much more respectful and a hell of a lot cheaper to go to home depot and but the heat tape .thats what they are made for.

Yes we have meters on every unit.But because of some stupid dumb asses thinking running water is cheaper than buying heat tapes and causing this type problem are just DUMB.

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't get how this could freeze hydrants?

When the wells are only pmping air/no water going through lines/I do live in a Mobile home park with more than 200 homes this is what happened.

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't get how this could freeze hydrants?

I don’t either , the mains are under the frost line by a good amount . The only way plugs freeze is if there is water in the barrel above  the frost line , and the only way that happens that I’m aware of is if the hydrant was used and did not drain as it should .

One reason why we test every hydrant every year .

Also my dept does not ever use “ yard hydrants “ in other words private hydrants like what these appear to,be , because nobody is ever testing them , on dead end mains and so on .

Most engines have a tank of 500 gallons , plenty of water to,knock down a house trailer fire.

Good luck .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad