Mil Dot Reticle

moog5050

How many of you folks hunt with a mil dot reticle?  I was comparing my 308 ballistics and if I was hunting out to 500yds, it seemed like if I sighted my 0 at 100, I would then be in the kill zone by using  one mil dot low from 200 - 500 (at 400 it would be 4 inches low but almost dead on at 500 again).  So basically out to 200 I could use crosshairs and then one mil dot low from 200 to 500.  All theoretical for me since I don’t shoot that far.  But if I was shooting at those ranges, it seemed practical.  Am I missing something?  Is this how the reticle would be used for hunting?  Almost like an extended point blank range. 

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

How many of you folks hunt with a mil dot reticle?  I was comparing my 308 ballistics and if I was hunting out to 500yds, it seemed like if I sighted my 0 at 100, I would then be in the kill zone by using  one mil dot low from 200 - 500 (at 400 it would be 4 inches low but almost dead on at 500 again).  So basically out to 200 I could use crosshairs and then one mil dot low from 200 to 500.  All theoretical for me since I don’t shoot that far.  But if I was shooting at those ranges, it seemed practical.  Am I missing something?  Is this how the reticle would be used for hunting?  Almost like an extended point blank range. 

I only use one on my airgun.

My rifles shoot flat at the ranges I shoot mill dots not needed .

mill dots can be used in 2 way range estimation and in the way you described basically there are bullet and pellet ballistic apps out that will tell you how many dots up or down you would aim at for the distance you are shooting at and windage.  If you put in all the specs of the ammo you are using .They way I use it on my air gun is i 0  my scope  at 35 yard  then shoot at targets  farther and closer and see how many dots up or down the pellet is going then you either  memorize it or write it down .

Trial and error at targets is probably the easiest way to learn how to use them . Trying to explain it with out just someone practicing using them  becomes complicated .

The way they use them for range estimation is basically at a certain distance and  magnification each mill is so many inches apart you count how many dots your known  sized target is like a deer . And with a mathematical formula you can know  the range or just with practice memorizing how many mill dots a deer is at a hundred yards  200 yards 300 yards and so on .

Edited by Storm914

The dots are used for range estimation and providing a quick holdover so you don't need to adjust the turret first.  I would picking a zero that best suits your ammo and most likely hunting ranges.  For my purposes, I have my NF NSX zeroed at 100 yards.  This should leave me within about 2" for most shots, easily accurate enough on deer vitals.  The 150gr InterLocks haven't missed yet.  

You can find all kinds of tutorials online if you really want to get into the weeds on longer range shooting and target identification at various distances.

While I appreciate the info and generally know how mil dots are used for range estimation, I never really put together that due to angles the same dot would be 3.6” lower at 200, 7.2” at 300, 14.4 at 400 and 28.8 low at 500 (if I recall correctly).  That is what made me realize that the sane dot could be used like an exrended version of MPBR sighting.  Just was curious if guys that use mil dots use them that way.  

Would pretty much give only 2 elevation aim points from 0-500. Of course, with second focal plane scopes, you need to be sure it’s set at the correct magnification.  

I would just by a scope with a BDC radicle or an adjustable turret. If you have not been trained how to use Mil-dots and don’t have a place where you can shoot 500yds or more you would never know if you are putting the right dope on your scope, if you can’t shoot that far. I would get an adjustable turret. sight in at 100yds set the turret to 0 for 100yds then adjust your scope till you are dead on at 200yds and write down the setting. Then adjust to 300 write that setting down keep doing that till you get to 500yds.then turn the turret back to 0 and see if you are still dead on at 100. You will need a range finder in the field.

• Like 1

Apparently people don’t read completely.  I have no plans to shoot anything at 500yds.  I don’t need a BDC reticle either.  I was asking hunters that actually use mil dot scopes if that’s the way they use it - a way to extend MPBR by dropping one mil dot.  I can shoot to 280 using MPBR sighting and will never need further range where I hunt.  

Anyone actually hunt deer with a mil dot scope?

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Apparently people don’t read completely.  I have no plans to shoot anything at 500yds.  I don’t need a BDC reticle either.  I was asking hunters that actually use mil dot scopes if that’s the way they use it - a way to extend MPBR by dropping one mil dot.  I can shoot to 280 using MPBR sighting and will never need further range where I hunt.  

Mill dots are good  for hunting Antelope out west or something. 

Here I don't think there are to many places where you could  take a long enough  shot with a rifle to take advantage of them .

There great for airguns  though. 

Edited by Storm914

O boy, @wildcat junkie hasn't found this thread yet...I'm going to beat him to it, all you need is a multi-plex or plex style reticle and you can shoot your 500 yards with no hold over. 0 your rifle at 200 and you will be set from 0-500 hold on the target (this is just a guess until wildcat can put it in his ballistic calculator). 

Pretty sure the intent is ranging their targets faster.

Edited by chas0218

1 minute ago, chas0218 said:

O boy, Wildcat hasn't found this thread yet...I'm going to beat him to it, all you need is a multi-plex or plex style reticle and you can shoot your 500 yards with no hold over. 0 your rifle at 200 and you will be set from 0-500 hold on the target (this is just a guess until wildcat can put it in his ballistic calculator). 

If I can live with a 3.5” high and 5” low, I can get a MPBR of 300yds.   Not happening out to 500. 

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Apparently people don’t read completely.   

Yeah....., first estimate your yardage to the closest 1000 yds.

Next.... try to unload your rifle as fast as you can using a different dot for each shot until your deer disappears over the horizon,lol :hunter:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well if you follow the safety rule of  know your target and what is behind it I would say around here taking ridiculously long shots on open ground  trying to use mill dots with out really knowing what you are doing is a accident waiting to happen.

That's how Bullets potentially find there way into homes and laws get changed to go back to shotgun only zones .  Just hunt closer to where you know the deer like to hang out .  

Edited by Storm914

6 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Well if you follow the safety rule of  know your target and what is behind it I would say around here taking ridiculously long shots on open ground  trying to use mill dots with out really knowing what you are doing is a accident waiting to happen.

That's how Bullets potentially find there way into homes and laws get changed to go back to shotgun only zones .  Just hunt closer to where you know the deer like to hang out .  

Read my first post again.  "all theoretical for me" means what is says and stop worrying about me taking ethical shots.  Other than one 240yd kill shot on a doe, the longest shot I have ever taken with a gun on game is around 100yds.    Again, the question was posed to those that use mil dots for long range hunting.  I thought guys like Pygmy, Buckmaster and Wildcat might have some input.  I found it interesting how the use of a single mil dot can follow the bullet drop to some extent over extended ranges. 

And I am very familiar with the use of mil dots on with air rifles, but due to limited range, they really serve more has various holdover points.  A single dot cant be used for extended ranges. I have shot a lot of 100 yd targets with quality pcp air guns.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Read my first post again.  "all theoretical for me" means what is says and stop worrying about me taking ethical shots.  Other than one 240yd kill shot on a doe, the longest shot I have ever taken with a gun on game is around 100yds.    Again, the question was posed to those that use mil dots for long range hunting.  I thought guys like Pygmy, Buckmaster and Wildcat might have some input.  I found it interesting how the use of a single mil dot can follow the bullet drop to some extent over extended ranges. 

And I am very familiar with the use of mil dots on with air rifles, but due to limited range, they really serve more has various holdover points.  A single dot cant be used for extended ranges. I have shot a lot of 100 yd targets with quality pcp air guns.

That was not directed at you mong5 

I wrote that Just for anyone that happens to read these   posts and  just is   learning  new to hunting or mill dots  .

Probably lots of new guys read these posts.

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That was not directed at you mong5 

I wrote that Just for anyone that happens to read these   posts and  just is   learning  new to hunting or mill dots  .

Probably lots of new guys read these posts.

No worries.  I suspect there aren't a lot of people shooting 500yds on this forum (as evidenced by the lack of responses from mil dot users) since there aren't many areas in NY where that is even possible.  None of the properties I hunt have anywhere near that range.  I just found it interesting from a long distance hunting perspective.  I guess the light bulb never clicked before last night that since the mil dots create an angle, the aiming point drops the further away you go and it can follow bullet drop reasonably closely (in a MPBR sighting type of way).

• Like 1

Mil dots are one of those things that don't carry over very well from military to hunting. People are generally a vertical target. If your off by 10 or 15 inches in elevation it still a hit and most of the time a hit is more effective than a kill on the battle field "both emotionally and physically, your buddy going down and screaming is harder to deal with then him going in a heap and others generally will atempt to help him taking them out of the fight as well.

For the most part the military doesn't use the mil dots for shooting more for range estimation "for range cards and forward observation duties such as calling for indirect fire." If a sniper has time on a shot outside of his zero he will dope his scope, especially on a high value target or a target that is an imminent threat.

As has been said mil dots can work but there a much better tools for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Mil dots are one of those things that don't carry over very well from military to hunting. People are generally a vertical target. If your off by 10 or 15 inches in elevation it still a hit and most of the time a hit is more effective than a kill on the battle field "both emotionally and physically, your buddy going down and screaming is harder to deal with then him going in a heap and others generally will atempt to help him taking them out of the fight as well.

For the most part the military doesn't use the mil dots for shooting more for range estimation "for range cards and forward observation duties such as calling for indirect fire." If a sniper has time on a shot outside of his zero he will dope his scope, especially on a high value target or a target that is an imminent threat.

As has been said mil dots can work but there a much better tools for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I get that a real sniper will adjust scope.  And I guess if you are hunting animals at 500yds, the hunter should have time to do the same.  If I hunted out west though, I would certainly be inclined to use a mil dot scope.  Sure gets you close on target without much thinking to certain ranges.

I know of a handful.  they're all vets.  I don't like mils.  mils don't mix well with MOA that's common with hunting.  you use one or the other.  I think it's the whole tactical craze that screwed things up but seems there's more and more MOA based reticles on the market versus just mil dot.

....oh yea.  yes a couple of them shoot that far and a little farther.  one just put an Acculon scope with mil dots on a 6.5 creedmoor and took a doe at idk something like 530 yards.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

I haven't commented because I have no experience with them...

As far as optics go, I tend to KISS....Simple crosshairs or plex type reticules are all I have ever needed..

My hunting rifles are basically PB to 300 yards and about a foot low at 400, which is as far as I  prefer to shoot, and I have good luck on game, with fixed power 4X scopes all the way out to 400.. 

My highest mag scope is a 2x7 and most of my scopes are either fixed 4x or fixed 6X...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I haven't commented because I have no experience with them...

As far as optics go, I tend to KISS....Simple crosshairs or plex type reticules are all I have ever needed..

My hunting rifles are basically PB to 300 yards and about a foot low at 400, which is as far as I  prefer to shoot, and I have good luck on game, with fixed power 4X scopes all the way out to 400.. 

My highest mag scope is a 2x7 and most of my scopes are either fixed 4x or fixed 6X...

LOL - you know Dan, I should have realized that considering your love of the fixed power scope.

I dont really know why others seem to have such an issue, but I love Mil-Dot reticles. I use them on all of my hunting rifles and muzzleloaders. They are far easier for me to be accurate with than a BDC reticle, as its easy for me to remember what my holdover is at longer range. For example, my muzzleloader is zeroed at 100 yards. The first dot below the crosshairs gets me right where I want to be at 200. Its different for each gun, I just practice with them enough to know where each one shoots based upon being zeroed at 100 yards. I do not shoot at ranges that exceed what I have practiced.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moog5050 said:

In the end I think a good chunk of mil dot buyers just use the method you are suggesting; no hard evidence, just from chatting to other hunters who own a few.

FWIW  hunt with a FFP  scope with a TDS reticle and the first cross bar down from center happens to correspond to one mil-dot (although subsequent are based on a parabolic formula) and it shoots basically the way you are explaining.

I'm pretty decent at ranging with it and have shot a few critters to 500 yds with it, most coyote sized or there about. Always prefer closer,but sometimes terrain and animal just don't allow it, and I'm not talking just Whitetail deer here.

But sometimes its the indian and not the arrow......took a broadside shot on a very nice trophy indeed at 300 yds and clean missed on a hunt a few years ago. Crappy shooting position, feet way higher than head shooting across a valley, not enough front rest, small animal, maybe 60lbs. Eh, I relive that shot for the last 2 years everytime I have picked up a rifle. Ironic that a few days later made a similar shot at a few more yds on a different bedded animal half hidden in some brush. Miss still bothers me, although better than a goat rope and wounded animal.

• Like 1