Pistol Recertification Reminder

chas0218

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

The Fact Sheet that I have for Wayne County states ---

" A pistol permit revocation can result in the loss of all fire arms including pistols , rifles and shotguns . "

I don't see what pistol recertification has to do with rifles and shotguns ! 

Did you see the list of un-SAFE Act provisions that Cuomo wanted, but didn't get?  One of them was outright confiscation; his own party thankfully told him that would never fly.  So what we have with this new recert law is basically a backdoor way to confiscate any and all firearms from a law-abiding citizen merely because they missed a poorly-advertised paperwork deadline.  I certainly don't want to see anyone stripped of their property, but maybe such a case could make it to SCOTUS and ultimately end the blatant abuse of our Rights here in NY.  No law-abiding citizen should need ANY government permission to own a firearm!  

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Did you see the list of un-SAFE Act provisions that Cuomo wanted, but didn't get?  One of them was outright confiscation; his own party thankfully told him that would never fly.  So what we have with this new recert law is basically a backdoor way to confiscate any and all firearms from a law-abiding citizen merely because they missed a poorly-advertised paperwork deadline.  I certainly don't want to see anyone stripped of their property, but maybe such a case could make it to SCOTUS and ultimately end the blatant abuse of our Rights here in NY.  No law-abiding citizen should need ANY government permission to own a firearm!  

If anyone isn't familiar, here are links to then-Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin's exposure of Cuomo's gun grabbing wish list that he tried to put into his un-SAFE Act.

facebook post

youtube video of floor debate where Dems try to hide Cuomo's gun confiscation

Edited by Jdubs

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If only I had any long guns. All mine are out of state...lol

I used to think that too.....

Went to get a new Customs form for a rifle this past year. Now, according to laws, there should be no record kept re. NICS etc by any Federal agency. They do run the serial number for stolen through a data base when one has the form done.

Not only did Customs officer knew I took that rifle out of country in 2006(and where), she asked why i wanted a new form for ownership as she new I already had one approved in 2005! (new law for destination required a more recent date for import paperwork).

Wonder where all them NICS checks are being stored. LOL

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sbuff said:

Just curious if I registered/RE certified existing pistols in October and will be getting a new one in January does that said pistol need to be RE certified by end of this month's?

Nope according to their site it makes no difference as by the time you need to recert again you will need to add that under the list.

Q: Since submitting my recertification, I have acquired/disposed of firearms or changed my address. What should I do?

A: The process for amending your pistol / revolver license has not changed. File an amendment with your county licensing authority. Amendments have no impact on recertification.

And no where in these pages did I see any one promoting any of the second amendment groups.One even willing to pay for re- certification,NYSRPA,SCOPE,GOA,NRA,NYSCC,all working to protect our gun rights.

These groups all need financial support They are working for you mostly unpaid.Their dues are not excessive.If any one belongs to NYSRPA did you read the message from the president,the answer was right

there.Gun owners and hunters did not turn out and vote.there was no excuse,we could have had Astorino as our governor today instead we re-elected coumo again.This coming November is very important

get out and register to vote if you have not voted in a while,schumer and gilerbrand are not gun friendly.Some Federations and clubs are putting voter registration in local gun shops,stop in and grab one and

fill it out and send it in. 

Sportsman we are losing ground every week,there are changes coming that some will not be happy about because of other users slowly but surely creeping in.become informed,go on the DEC web site and see

what is going on,subscribe to NYON ,read the outdoor columns in your local papers and become informed...Ray Merlo

• Like 3

9 hours ago, raymerlo said:

And no where in these pages did I see any one promoting any of the second amendment groups.One even willing to pay for re- certification,NYSRPA,SCOPE,GOA,NRA,NYSCC,all working to protect our gun rights.

These groups all need financial support They are working for you mostly unpaid.Their dues are not excessive.If any one belongs to NYSRPA did you read the message from the president,the answer was right

there.Gun owners and hunters did not turn out and vote.there was no excuse,we could have had Astorino as our governor today instead we re-elected coumo again.This coming November is very important

get out and register to vote if you have not voted in a while,schumer and gilerbrand are not gun friendly.Some Federations and clubs are putting voter registration in local gun shops,stop in and grab one and

Sportsman we are losing ground every week,there are changes coming that some will not be happy about because of other users slowly but surely creeping in.become informed,go on the DEC web site and see

what is going on,subscribe to NYON ,read the outdoor columns in your local papers and become informed...Ray Merlo

I don't recognize your screen name, so I'm not sure you visit much. but there has been constant support and discussion on this topic since its inception. 

If you want to complain about it, I'd suggest you speak to our resident anti-muslim crusader who floods the section and waters down the good stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, raymerlo said:

Problem is these groups don't have enough pull politically to make a difference. There have been Pro 2nd amendment groups around for  far longer than Cuomo has been in office but still have not been able to stop the gun laws. I don't want to say I have no faith in them but it doesn't seem to change any politician's minds on the matter. Few are willing to listen to the gun rights groups.

4 minutes ago, Geno C said:

is every license holder subject to recertify? or just ones issued on or before a certain date?

Ones issued before Jan 15th 2013 (when the SAFE act was signed into law). This applies even if you transferred counties.

Q: How will I know when to recertify my pistol / revolver license?

A: If your license was issued before January 15, 2013, the deadline to submit your recertification is January 31, 2018 and every five years thereafter. If your license was issued on or after January 15, 2013, the deadline to recertify is five years after the date the license was issued and every five years thereafter.

Q: I was originally issued a pistol / revolver license years ago but have recently transferred to another county. When completing my recertification, which issue date should I enter?

A: The issue date entered should be the date (or approximate date if unknown) that you were originally issued a pistol / revolver license, not the date that you transferred or amended your license.

So many of us that are recert. this month must do it 5 years from this month. So every 5 years they will have a flood of paperwork during this month. Well I hope they have a flood of paperwork. Unless they get smart and change the recert date for many to other months to space it out.

Edited by chas0218

Ones issued before Jan 15th 2013 (when the SAFE act was signed into law). This applies even if you transferred counties.

Q: How will I know when to recertify my pistol / revolver license?

A: If your license was issued before January 15, 2013, the deadline to submit your recertification is January 31, 2018 and every five years thereafter. If your license was issued on or after January 15, 2013, the deadline to recertify is five years after the date the license was issued and every five years thereafter.

Q: I was originally issued a pistol / revolver license years ago but have recently transferred to another county. When completing my recertification, which issue date should I enter?

A: The issue date entered should be the date (or approximate date if unknown) that you were originally issued a pistol / revolver license, not the date that you transferred or amended your license.

So many of us that are recert. this month must do it 5 years from this month. So every 5 years they will have a flood of paperwork during this month. Well I hope they have a flood of paperwork. Unless they get smart and change the recert date for many to other months to space it out.

Crazy...

Yeah I had mine for a long time, then transfered to another county, upstate and went from restricted to unrestricted. The new dates states 2-19-14

I have to find my old license. Such BS

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

so i'm curious if anyone has heard of anyone actually being caught/arrested for over 7 rounds in a mag? I know I've read a few who have been busted for "Assault" rifles.

When i bought my stainless kimber 1911 a few years ago it only came with 1 7 round mag. Kind of a pain at the range. Anyhow I found a good deal on some winter camo gloves at midway and needed to spend a little more for free shipping. So I bought a kimber 8 round mag for the same price as the 7.

Now this big ass pistol is a bedside gun with no intentions of being carried, so honestly if I'm ever in the situation where I'm protecting my home and family, I'll worry about the law later. But it had me thinking and figured maybe some of you would know if anyone has been charged.

32 minutes ago, Belo said:

so i'm curious if anyone has heard of anyone actually being caught/arrested for over 7 rounds in a mag? I know I've read a few who have been busted for "Assault" rifles.

When i bought my stainless kimber 1911 a few years ago it only came with 1 7 round mag. Kind of a pain at the range. Anyhow I found a good deal on some winter camo gloves at midway and needed to spend a little more for free shipping. So I bought a kimber 8 round mag for the same price as the 7.

Now this big ass pistol is a bedside gun with no intentions of being carried, so honestly if I'm ever in the situation where I'm protecting my home and family, I'll worry about the law later. But it had me thinking and figured maybe some of you would know if anyone has been charged.

Last I knew it was overruled in WNY so you could carry 10 rounds in a 10 round mag (A.K.A. California Mag) but the law has not been amended so it is technically still illegal. Here is a good article that outlines the number of rounds portion of the law. Now what they consider a range is vague at best my range is on my own property so if my gun is at my house on property it is at the range and can legally have 10 rounds in it. Carrying on person I can "legally" have no more than 7+1 but the cops "shouldn't" bother me if I had 10. In reality unless you are in a shoot out with some bad guy then how would know unless you are open carrying.

https://psanded.com/7-or-10-rounds/

Edited by chas0218

48 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Last I knew it was overruled in WNY so you could carry 10 rounds in a 10 round mag (A.K.A. California Mag) but the law has not been amended so it is technically still illegal. Here is a good article that outlines the number of rounds portion of the law. Now what they consider a range is vague at best my range is on my own property so if my gun is at my house on property it is at the range and can legally have 10 rounds in it. Carrying on person I can "legally" have no more than 7+1 but the cops "shouldn't" bother me if I had 10. In reality unless you are in a shoot out with some bad guy then how would know unless you are open carrying.

https://psanded.com/7-or-10-rounds/

yeah like i said i'm not worried about my home. It's more of question when i carry in a car/truck and if stopped I will of course inform them i have a loaded firearm. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Cuomo is letting us little people have a 10 round mag but still the law calls for only 7 in the mag. (court rulings aside). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

yeah like i said i'm not worried about my home. It's more of question when i carry in a car/truck and if stopped I will of course inform them i have a loaded firearm. 

Do not. NY is not a state in which you have to inform them. Only time I would inform them is if they want to search you or your vehicle. I would ask what the probable cause is and by that point I would be recording the conversation via cell phone.

Edited by chas0218

1 hour ago, Belo said:

No duty to inform in NY, but tying the DL to the PP via the recert process will surely provide the LEO with that info when he/she runs your license.  

For the record, 10 rd mags are completely legal.  The 7 rd limit was stuck down in court, LE knows it, and no one needs to wait on Albany to change that language in the penal code.

• Like 2

It’s ten in the mag.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/State-Police-guide-amended-to-ignore-seven-round-5355959.php

Also courts have ruled the police can not “ search” the mag in other words count the cartilages. This came out of a traffic stop, where the officer took control of the gun ,and said he could tell by the weight, then counted the rounds , which was ruled an illegal search and tossed out .

Also NYS has no duty to inform, ive been stopped while armed never said a word about my handguns , but my stops tend to end in 30 seconds or so .

So I decided to do online instead of joining others in flooding them last minute with paper ones ( yes I chickened out .)

Went to do my wife’s today, and found Monroe County had left the last number of one ser. Number off my permit ,on my snubbie , so,my recert has the wrong ser# on it. While I was on hold with them, I checked online and I’m all approved , good for 5 more years ...... wrong ser# and all ......

This is the second time MC had one wrong on my permit .

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Do not. NY is not a state in which you have to inform them. Only time I would inform them is if they want to search you or your vehicle. I would ask what the probable cause is and by that point I would be recording the conversation via cell phone.

i should rephrase. when asked if i have any weapons, i'm telling the truth. You can have your method, but I'll have mine. There's a reason stupid people get shot by the police. Those guys and gals are always alarmed and i dont blame them. no reason to be silly if i'm following the laws...and white ;)

so all yall are still carrying loaded 10's? 

Edited by Belo

Belo that’s a good way to,do,it, if asked don’t lie, I’ve never been asked ,I put window down , and keep both hand palms up on steering wheel. If I’m asked for DL , I’d tell,them about gun IF it was carried near my wallet .

My main carry guns are 6 round mag and 8 round mag.

if I’m going to rock out with my Glock out then 7 on one side of the mag and 8 on the other.........

16D9FBD2-E868-455C-B5B5-6C7BD9D56330.jpeg

Belo that’s a good way to,do,it, if asked don’t lie, I’ve never been asked ,I put window down , and keep both hand palms up on steering wheel. If I’m asked for DL , I’d tell,them about gun IF it was carried near my wallet .

My main carry guns are 6 round mag and 8 round mag.

if I’m going to rock out with my Glock out then 7 on one side of the mag and 8 on the other.........

16D9FBD2-E868-455C-B5B5-6C7BD9D56330.thumb.jpeg.ae5c76ea3b2b2cd2a17fa50687acc5c6.jpeg

That's because you get a LEO exemption ya jerk. I have been informed below this post he is in FD not PD. It would seem I now must eat my hat

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1