Pistol Recertification Reminder

chas0218

You all seem like a good bunch of people so I'll send out a reminder. Not that I agree with all the bull NYS has us do but I don't want to see someone get pinched for something stupid like not recertifying. Below is a link to NYS trooper site for the online recert and also the paper recert. I recommend the paper recert and once mailed send it certified mail so you have a receipt to you sending it. The troopers don't have any clerks that will be doing this for them so they might actually say screw it and not bother. I look at it this way if they are making us jump through the hoops they should too.

Make sure if your permit was issued PRIOR to Janurary 15th 2013 recertify before Janurary 31st 2018 (this month).

Paper copy: https://troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/PPB-2.pdf

Online: https://firearms.troopers.ny.gov/pprecert/welcome.faces

Mods if you would like to move this you can I just figured there are more people that frequent the general hunting chit chat area than the firearms area.

2 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Good looking out, especially when the consequence is one having ALL of their firearms confiscated. :good:

Yeah I don't think people realize it is all your firearms not just your pistols not than one is any worse than the other.

On the radio the state troopers are a little worried that much of the NYS pistol holders have not complied with the new rule yet. They are talking about an extension so I'm holding off until a couple days prior to sending it to see if they add an extension. If they add the extension I will hold off until a couple days prior to the extension.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

I live in Westchester so does this mean I don't have to do this..

Q: Are pistol / revolver license holders in New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County required to recertify using the New York State recertification system (per subsection 10(b) of section 400.00 of the penal law)?

A: No. If you currently have a New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County or Westchester County permit, you must follow the requirements that are in place in your county, rather than use the New York State recertification system.

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

i was thinking paper too, but by the time november rolls around for me it wont be a shit show like it is now. And the "fear" of them not receiving and/or processing it, (certified or not) is one that I'm not sure I want to take. 

November? That is also why I would send it a few days prior to allow the mail to get there and have a 2nd copy ready for the mail on the 31st if the 1st one isn't successfully recieved on their end. Last I knew certified mail comes with a tracking number and can be tracked.

Edited by chas0218

Thanks for,the reminder many it’s seems will miss the deadline , going by the percentage that have still to'do it .

First for me here in 30 plus years , although my Fla and Utah permits have had to have been renewed .

26 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Thanks for,the reminder many it’s seems will miss the deadline , going by the percentage that have still to'do it .

First for me here in 30 plus years , although my Fla and Utah permits have had to have been renewed .

I have to renew my P.A. CC in Jan. 2020, Lets me carry 2/3 of the U.S. attached is the reciprocity map for NY and PA CC. FL permit would get me 5 more states. Utah would only get me 1 more state.

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

it is just for pistols. anything listed on your permit. 

Good to know, thought it was all firearms could be seized.

Reprocity map.JPG

Edited by chas0218

there are a bunch of gun friendly states that have the recert process, some even with a fee. I don't  honestly hate the idea as I think it might weed out some irresponsible owners, but that being said, i haven't met any bad guys that ever cared about the law. 

if anything bothers me, it's that this is free and just an attempt to get rid of guns through technicalities. If it had even a $5 fee I could see the funds going to gun safety courses, illegal gun programs etc. similar to our hunting permits and snowmobile registrations.

Just Cuomo's way of reminding everyone you are subject to his control.  What you believe is a right is actually a privilege.  Don't comply and they will come for All of your firearms, not just your pistol.  That seems to be the plan from the beginning.  If they say you did not recert, it will be guilty until you prove you're innocent.  Good luck with that.

This is going to be a big issue in NY state.  The US Constitution is invalid here under Democrat State control.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

How could they possibly? The certification is an administrative thing. There is no "charge" if you don't recertify. They will suspend you permit and you will have to turn in or dispose of the pistols. 

It's a function of the safe act, and a big "FU" to pistol license holders.

When your pistol permit is revoked or denied, you not only have to surrender all pistols, you also must surrender all guns, whether or not they are subject to licensing. So, while the certification (and things like "hunting/target") is administrative, the revocation of your license under administrative grounds does trigger an actual law that calls for the surrender of all guns.

Oddly, it doesn't appear to disqualify you from ownership of long guns nor is it likely to trigger a NICS denial. Theoretically, you could go out and buy new rifles the day after you surrender the old ones. Who knows, this is uncharted legal ground on a law written and passed by idiots.

Edited by jrm

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

it is just for pistols. anything listed on your permit. 

What he means is that the consequence of not recertifying is that the State can confiscate all of your pistols plus all of your long guns too. 

24 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

What he means is that the consequence of not recertifying is that the State can confiscate all of your pistols plus all of your long guns too. 

The Fact Sheet that I have for Wayne County states ---

" A pistol permit revocation can result in the loss of all fire arms including pistols , rifles and shotguns . "

I don't see what pistol recertification has to do with rifles and shotguns ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The Fact Sheet that I have for Wayne County states ---

" A pistol permit revocation can result in the loss of all fire arms including pistols , rifles and shotguns . "

I don't see what pistol recertification has to do with rifles and shotguns ! 

you're trying to make sense of a law that was passed overnight after a tragedy in a different state to circumvent the constitution.

it's really not very different from the new tax law's attempt to repeal obamacare. Our inept government at all levels can't do anything or even simply balance a budget, but dammit if they want something bad enough they can do it overnight. 

makes you think

2 hours ago, jrm said:

It's a function of the safe act, and a big "FU" to pistol license holders.

When your pistol permit is revoked or denied, you not only have to surrender all pistols, you also must surrender all guns, whether or not they are subject to licensing. So, while the certification (and things like "hunting/target") is administrative, the revocation of your license under administrative grounds does trigger an actual law that calls for the surrender of all guns.

Oddly, it doesn't appear to disqualify you from ownership of long guns nor is it likely to trigger a NICS denial. Theoretically, you could go out and buy new rifles the day after you surrender the old ones. Who knows, this is uncharted legal ground on a law written and passed by 

:)

Edited by Storm914