ever been lost?

Robhuntandfish

"never been lost, fearsome confused for a month or two but I aint never been lost"  - Henry Frapp

I once went trout fishing up in Florence area and was out longer and farther than I thought.  By the time I headed back it got dark, I didnt really get lost but it was so dark I waded the creek back (tiny little brookie stream not anywhere deeper than crotch high) .  I had to make the decision to stay the night or try to wade the creek because it was so dark you couldnt see more than a foot ahead of you.  I went by the feel of the stream and when I got close enough to road I heard a car or two go by.  By the time i got out to truck it was almost midnight.  

My brother got lost one time in McKeever .  Huntign with my Dad he didnt come in for lunch with 3 other guys they were hunting with so my Dad went looking for him.  He heard him fire 2-1 a long ways away.  Kept doing that and eventually my Dad found him. And they were looking at each other across a creek.  My Dad asks on the other side "where did you cross the stream?"  My Brother says " I didnt, I never crossed the creek"  lol.  Well he did then and they went back and my Dad handed him the compass out of his pocket.  

Course this was all before GPS and cell phones .  

• Like 1

I've been lost driving in about every major city in this country in the days before GPS and I was working on the road a lot. Never been lost in the woods. My friends bust on me all the time, one always says they could blindfold me and drop me naked with a knife out in the middle of no where and I'd come out fine. Send me to the corner store for milk and my ass is sure to get lost!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There has been many many times that I have been in the Adirondacks on a track when I had no idea where I was but i have always been able to figure out about where I was and I always had a compass and had an idea what direction the road was so I don't know if that is lost or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't get lost that often and usually the GPS fixes that issue if I am not in fog or a deep valley with no coverage or wet high canopy that stops signal.  I have gotten "Stuck" more than I care to admit.  Usually this just involves taking the long route back to trail or road. 

• Like 1

While Hunting I cant say they I was lost just turned around a few times/this was when I started hunting the state land now I know this piece like the back of my hand.FOGG is the worst for anyone getting lost turned off the trail's that you knew/know.I have learned to use tac markers or marking tape when going on land never been on

Never truly lost, but I once got awfully confused trying to find a herd path going up to Panther Brook while hiking in the Santanoni's.  It took about an hour of circling to finally realize that the path I couldn't find was actually submerged now by some very industrious beavers.  After bushwhacking through some thick crap, I finally got back on track, summited all 3 peaks and ultimately walked out in the dark.  Great hike with some valuable lessons learned about problem solving and keeping my head in the game.

• Like 2

Never in the woods.  Years ago I stayed in my folks guest room overnight as both not feeling well. Room is tiny and pitch black with lights off. I heard a noise and got up. I couldn’t find the light switch nor the door handle for what felt like forever. I totally panicked too. Thank goodness I didn’t rip off a couple of distress shots as would have scared the crud out of my folks 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was on a motorcycle trip alone a few years ago. I was staying in one state and wanted to make a run down to another and comeback up through another to get back to motel, I wanted to do it with my gps. I had to ask for help finally. Haha

Have a buddy I hunt with, I swear he leaves the car and is lost.  When we have hunted the big woods I tell him to sit in a spot and I will be back for him. Lol

I've seen him lost in spots no one should be lost.  One time i saw him do a complete circle around me. Kept seeing hin every few minutes in a different direction.  He even told me how he came out in someones back yard and they yelled at him.

His wife bought him a GPS because of this and he was out hunting and it fell out of his pocket and he lost it. Then he was lost for 45 minutes.  I think I'm going  to get him a tether and a post for his birthday. Lol

• Like 1

Been turned around a couple times. Worst one was while elk hunting in Colorado.......long story as I was on a bugling bull and kept on him until dark. I headed down the mountain to a place I was sure of. I hitched a ride with a couple cowboys in an old IH Scout 4x4, man what a wild ride back!!

• Like 1

I've never been completely lost. I have on more than one occasion walked more than a few miles back to my truck though.. ussualy after one of those all day treks through the big woods. 

I just had to follow that track or see what was on the other side of that last hill.. (another hill)..lol...

One of my favorite pastimes when I had a bike was to take off and navigate by the sun..After 3-4 hours of riding i would head for home.. knowing home was NE for example I would choose which direction to take at any intersection until eventually I was back in familiar territory.. . There are not many rds north of Albany that I havnt been on ..lol.

Now with a smart phone I always know exactly where I am. Takes all the fun out of it..lol

17 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I've never been completely lost. I have on more than one occasion walked more than a few miles back to my truck though.. ussualy after one of those all day treks through the big woods. 

I just had to follow that track or see what was on the other side of that last hill.. (another hill)..lol...

One of my favorite pastimes when I had a bike was to take off and navigate by the sun..After 3-4 hours of riding i would head for home.. knowing home was NE for example I would choose which direction to take at any intersection until eventually I was back in familiar territory.. . There are not many rds north of Albany that I havnt been on ..lol.

Now with a smart phone I always know exactly where I am. Takes all the fun out of it..lol

Get back in on Fish Creek off the west Lake Road up that way and one can get turned around really easy. So many ridges and small lakes back in there that all look the same makes it tough. Awesome hunting back in there though.

15 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Get back in on Fish Creek off the west Lake Road up that way and one can get turned around really easy. So many ridges and small lakes back in there that all look the same makes it tough. Awesome hunting back in there though.

Yup..ive been hunting there and beaver creek a bunch lately.. more than once I wished I had brought my swimmies.. lol.

I still find it amazing that the deer can have trails through a swampy boggy area and only sink knee deep (for them) and I'm contantly punching through hips+ deep.. 

My dad taught me at an early age how to use a compass and I am totally confident as long as I have a good quality working compass on my person (I actually carry two) I will never get lost. Many years of following my Coon dogs in big woods at night is about as sure fire a way of getting turned around and disoriented to where you are as it gets.

I always have pretty good knowledge of the lay of the lands I am hunting,  it's trails and roads creeks and streams are noted by studying maps and many times from previous experience. I take note of my my starting point and it's orientation on my maps with an initial compass reading and just head in. I can be zig zagging around in a several square mile area half the night going wherever the dogs take me and when I have had enough I leash up the dogs, take a compass reading and head out, might not come out exactly to my vehicle but usually not to far off and importantly never lost.

Hail o the Compass

Al

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fletch said:

I've been lost driving in about every major city in this country in the days before GPS and I was working on the road a lot. Never been lost in the woods. My friends bust on me all the time, one always says they could blindfold me and drop me naked with a knife out in the middle of no where and I'd come out fine. Send me to the corner store for milk and my ass is sure to get lost!!

You're not lost until you're out of gas.

I got turned around once hunting some state property down here on the southern tier in the Erwin state forest. I headed out in the A.M. decided to make a big loop halfway around the outside of the state property. Managed to get about half way then all hell broke loose. I was trying a stalk on a deer and kept following it not really paying attention to where I was going. All said and done I got back to the truck a little before dark it was a long day and no deer so sucked even more. I was dragging some serious A$$ by the time I got back to the truck. In the process my compass broke (must have been laid next to a magnet or something) and my cell phone was dead. When I ventured out I made sure to have my knife, basic survival stuff like matches and fire starter some old MRE heat pouches (have multiple uses for those) extra socks, space blanket, extra ammo and that about covers it. I sat there for a minute trying to figure out what to do and ended up tracking myself back to some stuff I recognized then I was good. I did not like the feeling of not knowing where I was or how to get back. I figured I could just walk some direction and eventually find a road but wanted to get back to the truck. The other kick to the nuts was it was overcast to the point where you couldn't see the sun. Not a cool feeling at all.

15 hours ago, silent death said:

Havent been lost in 20 years sense ive gotten married  wife always has the directions and tells  me when iam speeding  lol the irony i need to install a eject passenger seat 

haha you and me both, taking directions from someone that could get lost in a paper bag. I get yelled at everytime that stupid gps says turn and I didn't or she has the damn thing in her lap or hand and I can't see the screen to see the exit or how many streets there are between me and the turn. Gotta love them!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:27 PM, Jdubs said:

Never truly lost, but I once got awfully confused trying to find a herd path going up to Panther Brook while hiking in the Santanoni's.  It took about an hour of circling to finally realize that the path I couldn't find was actually submerged now by some very industrious beavers.  After bushwhacking through some thick crap, I finally got back on track, summited all 3 peaks and ultimately walked out in the dark.  Great hike with some valuable lessons learned about problem solving and keeping my head in the game.

The last part of your last sentence is KEY!!!  When in doubt or trouble sit think, then think some more.  Panic is the worst enemy of people in peril. 

• Like 2