ever been lost?

Robhuntandfish

Many years ago a couple of Buddy's and myself were driving on a new hunting area and with a lot of liquid courage went of the road to do some rough 4x4 needles to say hours past and we could not find the road again , so we made a fire and sat around and waited for the sun to come up which was only 3 hours later , as dawn broke we realized we were only 20 yards off the road :drinks:

Generally I have a good sense of direction .

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 4:47 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

There has been many many times that I have been in the Adirondacks on a track when I had no idea where I was but i have always been able to figure out about where I was and I always had a compass and had an idea what direction the road was so I don't know if that is lost or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

numbers on utility poles out at the main road is a beautiful thing. if you remember numbers where you went in from.

i've technically gotten lost a couple times. mainly getting turned around on a drive or pursuing deer. always figure out enough to get me back though. compass is a must. i've even had to rely on those little ball compasses you pin to your jacket.

Been confused a few times myself but never for more than a few hours Thank God. When I go in , I always make sure I have 2 compasses, a map and am cognizant of my direction entering and which way I need to go to head out. When in doubt, check out the direction of the local roads too cuz if you can make it out to the road, it may be a long walk back to the truck but you WILL get there. Happy Easter to all 

Four of us would hunt the Maine North Woods for deer every year. We would rent the same cabin and normally fly into and land on a lake that the cabin was built on. One year in an effort to save a few dollars, we decided to try and drive in as close to the cabin as possible and then walk in with our gear and supplies. Well there turned out to be over a foot of snow in the bush and we could not get any closer than one mile from the cabin with the trucks on the non-maintained logging road.

One of the guys said he would take a shortcut through the woods and beat everyone to the cabin. He set off with his arms loaded with bags and food. After two trips back and forth from the truck to the cabin the rest of us realized that we had not seen Bob since he started on his shortcut. I  took up his track in the snow and found him an hour later sitting on a log with his coat off, sweating profusely, munching on a candy bar and talking to a snow shoe hare that had sat in the down next to him. I walked up behind him and said, "Bob, what's going on?" I thought he was going to kiss me and said that he was lost as tears were flowing down his cheeks.  I asked why he just didn't follow his tracks back to the truck. He said he never thought of that!

I've never been truly lost in the woods. I guess panic does strange things to a man.

That's a true story

• Like 1