What's your brush gun

Hunter007

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

But it will still deflect, my original point is still that any bullet that touches something on its way to the target has drastically less chances of hitting intended target. Therefore choosing a cartridge to shoot through brush is not a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes your  right 

Edited by Storm914

49 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

But it will still deflect, my original point is still that any bullet that touches something on its way to the target has drastically less chances of hitting intended target. Therefore choosing a cartridge to shoot through brush is not a good idea.

I would  look at a bunch of different factors when choosing a hunting gun for brush   accuracy how much energy it puts out , light weight compact size .

Not just  that I  think a certain ammo  has a better chance of getting through brush.  But I do  think about it a little  just not the only thing to consider.

I would  look at a bunch of different factors when choosing a hunting gun for brush   accuracy how much energy it puts out , light weight compact size .
Not just  that I  think a certain ammo  has a better chance of getting through brush.  But I do  think about it a little  just not the only thing to consider.

Now you're saying that light weight and compact are important but you listed 4 brush calibers earlier and they are rarely found light or compact without significant modification?

45-70- only light one I have seen was the rio made by Rossi and that thing was down right painful to shoot and weren't very popular the Marlins are over 9lbs

Slugs- most 12 gauges are over 8lbs when loaded, and the light ones kick so much that it drastically slows down the follow up shots, and short barrel shotguns usually don't balance very well.

35rem- the Marlins aren't too heavy at a a little over 7 1/2lbs but most had a 22" barrel so here goes the compact.

30-06 w/220gn bullets- 30-06 is a hell of a cartridge but why someone would limit it with a 220gn pill for a deer makes no sense to me when a quality 180gner gives plenty of penetration on moose! And is far superior ballistically not to mention the added recoil for no gain.

You guys still frying this fish, I thought I ended it with my last post?

One thing we need to discuss is the definition of "brush"?  There's lots of gray area there........

The "final word":

If legal, get yourself a scoped rifle (with lens caps for gosh sakes) and some decent bullets and go forth.  If shotgun only MOVE.

If the deer is walking and NOT wounded and you're in the brush, don't shoot.  If the deer IS wounded and walking/running/hauling ass, SHOOT!

Little bucks, big bucks, doe and sometimes a fawn will be your reward.

Oh yea, why are you hunting brush anyway? 

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Now you're saying that light weight and compact are important but you listed 4 brush calibers earlier and they are rarely found light or compact without significant modification?

45-70- only light one I have seen was the rio made by Rossi and that thing was down right painful to shoot and weren't very popular the Marlins are over 9lbs

Slugs- most 12 gauges are over 8lbs when loaded, and the light ones kick so much that it drastically slows down the follow up shots, and short barrel shotguns usually don't balance very well.

35rem- the Marlins aren't too heavy at a a little over 7 1/2lbs but most had a 22" barrel so here goes the compact.

30-06 w/220gn bullets- 30-06 is a hell of a cartridge but why someone would limit it with a 220gn pill for a deer makes no sense to me when a quality 180gner gives plenty of penetration on moose! And is far superior ballistically not to mention the added recoil for no gain.

There just some  calibers I here people using for brush like I said most the time i am stuck using a shotgun .non of my rifles are light  either 

I am looking  or thinking to get a lighter  rifle  a  carbine not sure what to get .

Not sure if I should get something because it is  lighter or go for something not as light but puts out more energy,  the places I like to hunt your not getting any shot over 100 yards more like 65 most the time .

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I am looking  or thinking to get a lighter  rifle  a  carbine not sure what to get .

Not sure if I should get something because it is  lighter or go for something not as light but puts out more energy,  the places I like to hunt your not getting any shot over 100 yards more like 65 most the time .

7mm-08 Tikka T3 with 140gr bullets.

A tremendous choice for soooooo many things.

A carbine by definition:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carbine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

I don't think that's necessarily what you are looking for, is it?

Edited by Lawdwaz

11 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I saw this looks promising .

One thing I dont like looks like they don't come with iron sites i hate that even if a plan on scoping it .

Specifications and Features:
Tikka JRTXE316C
.308 Winchester
Bolt action
20" barrel
1:11" twist
3 rounds capacity
Detachable box magazine
Drilled and tapped
Matte black synthetic stock
Sling swivel studs
Overall length 39.4"
Weight 5.9 lbs
Blued

A carbine by definition:

https://www.google.com/search?q=carbine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

I don't think that's necessarily what you are looking for, is it?

Although I love my tikka's the 7mm-08 doesn't meet my needs for a brush cartridge. Even with the best bullets the likelihood of a bullet going end for end of a deer giving me 2 holes at any angle.

This tikka does after being rebored to 35whelen and cut to "carbine" length. The 225gn Barnes went in front shoulder on a hard angle and exited the the ass cheek of this old ADK buck. On a running shot across the swamp.e3a84e27fb065d624c27ced0fdb5cad8.jpg&key=6847291e1261d37599c1522544e495894217ad4ef1b0a5364f175f71bec3aa31

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Although I love my tikka's the 7mm-08 doesn't meet my needs for a brush cartridge. Even with the best bullets the likelihood of a bullet going end for end of a deer giving me 2 holes at any angle.

This tikka does after being rebored to 35whelen and cut to "carbine" length. The 225gn Barnes went in front shoulder on a hard angle and exited the the ass cheek of this old ADK buck. On a running shot across the swamp.e3a84e27fb065d624c27ced0fdb5cad8.jpg&key=6847291e1261d37599c1522544e495894217ad4ef1b0a5364f175f71bec3aa31

Ok what about the tikka light  in 30-06 308 or 270 

26 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I saw this looks promising .

One thing I dont like looks like they don't come with iron sites i hate that even if a plan on scoping it .

Specifications and Features:
Tikka JRTXE316C
.308 Winchester
Bolt action
20" barrel
1:11" twist
3 rounds capacity
Detachable box magazine
Drilled and tapped
Matte black synthetic stock
Sling swivel studs
Overall length 39.4"
Weight 5.9 lbs
Blued

You need to get over the need for iron sights.......IMO

I've killed close to 130 deer with guns. (scoped shotguns, rifles, muzzleloaders and pistol) and never had the need for open sights or had a scope failure.  Probably just dumb luck???

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I've killed close to 130 deer with guns. (scoped shotguns, rifles, muzzleloaders and pistol) and never had the need for open sights or had a scope failure.  Probably just dumb luck???

I am old fashioned that way :)

Savage Model 99, .358 Winchester caliber. I have see through mounts, so I can use the sights or the scope.

I just treated myself to an AK (open sights) for Christmas, I plan to use it hog hunting when I head down to Georgia in March. A lot of the shots are at running hogs, at fairly close range. We will see how 7.62 works on a hog, I will be using 154 grain shells.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't like bolts but the tikkas seem alright, but all them cartridges kill deer just fine but for my big woods brush gun none are my first choices.

You gave an example of a heavy bodied buck shot with the .35.  I'm not arguing, just asking an honest question.

If you had made the same shot with a 165 or 180 grain bullet out of a 30-06, would it have died any differently? 

You obviously know your stuff, but placing the .35 over the 30-06 seems to be overthinking things a bit.

2 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

You gave an example of a heavy bodied buck shot with the .35.  I'm not arguing, just asking an honest question.

If you had made the same shot with a 165 or 180 grain bullet out of a 30-06, would it have died any differently? 

Don't be silly......

36 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Time and a place for everything.  I don't see how you can get on target faster with a scope than with open sights.  I can tell you that the M16/M4 with open sights is awfully good for target aquisition and accurate too.  

As for deer hunting, I happen to agree with you.  Because of my hunting style I only carry a scoped rifle.  I do think there are guys that could outdraw you in the brush with an open sighted 30-30 or a slug gun, pardner.  

You obviously know your stuff, but placing the .35 over the 30-06 seems to be overthinking things a bit.

No, it would have died just as dead. But I split his heart in half with the first shot had I missed his heart the bullet going all the way through him and making it to his hind leg and cutting his femoral and breaking his leg could have been the difference between finding him or not. That is something I'm not sure a 180gn bullet from an 06 would have done.

I have killed deer with everything from 222's to 500s&w and 200-225gn 35cal bullets at over 2200fps has done the best job at killin them the way I tend to hit em.

If you don't drop them in their tracks you have to have blood and you get more blood from 2 holes than 1 and even more yet from 4 or 6 and that's why I hunt with what I do.

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

No, it would have died just as dead. But I split his heart in half with the first shot had I missed his heart the bullet going all the way through him and making it to his hind leg and cutting his femoral and breaking his leg could have been the difference between finding him or not. That is something I'm not sure a 180gn bullet from an 06 would have done.

I have killed deer with everything from 222's to 500s&w and 200-225gn 35cal bullets at over 2200fps has done the best job at killin them the way I tend to hit em.

If you don't drop them in their tracks you have to have blood and you get more blood from 2 holes than 1 and even more yet from 4 or 6 and that's why I hunt with what I do.

I believe that you have the experience and knowledge to justify your choice.  I find it hard to believe that most modern ammo over 140 or 150 grains would do the trick.  I agree that it is better to be "over-gunned" than "under-gunned."  

19 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I find it hard to believe that most modern ammo over 140 or 150 grains would do the trick.  I agree that it is better to be "over-gunned" than "under-gunned."  

How about an 80gr bullet?

Now I'll say that this is the only Barnes bullet I've ever recovered as all others have exited.  This is (and I apologize to those that have seen these pics from me before) a Barnes TTSX 6mm bullet shot from my .243  Muzzle velocity approx 3300fps.

The shot was 235 yards head on at a mature Pennsylvania doe.  It hit her square in the chest and flipped her over like a burger on a grill.  Being as PA shooting hours are 30 minutes past sunset I didn't get down to her until it was pretty dark.  I dressed her off but noted that there didn't appear to be an exit wound.  I butchered her like all other deer I shoot but save a one roast from the hindquarter, you know, the one that looks like a football??  Well that winter I was slicing up that roast as we were going to make some stew and it needed to be in chunks.  As I sliced away I felt a slight "dragging" on the knife.  I pulled it open and found this bullet......stem to stern on an adult (maybe 100lbs dressed) doe. 

It still weighs what it started at, 80 grains. 

If I'd have used a 140 grain TTSX in my 7mm-08 it might still be going or at the very least ended up in West Virginia. :)

ML1XyTA.jpg

jA4SbrA.jpg

Y30KAmT.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1