Hunting goals for 2018

ATbuckhunter

What are your hunting goals for 2018?

Mine are to get a buck with a bow that's over 120", try to harvest new types of waterfowl (wood duck being at the top), try to harvest a bear and try to find a dedicated waterfowl hunting partner. I came close to hitting the first goal this year on a buck that went 130" but I was always a day or two late, so I'm confident in next year. 

To be alive and well is a great start! lol I hope I am too. seriously. Hunting Goals, I hope i can get a crack at my Number 1 or number 2 buck again next year. I missed #1 during archery @ 35yrds, and my number 2 read the script several times, just on days i could not be in the woods. Especially Late season, he had a hard time leaving the food plots during ML season.. #1 will be 9.5 yrs old if he makes it, #2 will be 9.5 or 10.5 (not sure exactly) yrs old if winter doesnt take them.. 

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 1

To get out as much/as often as possible and just enjoy the time outdoors with friends. 

I put too much pressure on myself in the past and feel like some of the goals I set for myself were unattainable based on the caliber of deer that were available and/or the amount of time that I actually had to hunt.  That took the fun out of hunting for me.  

• Like 2

I'm taking a year off from going to Colorado this year I've been 5 years in a row. So this year I'm deer hunting in Tennessee. My buddy just moved there and has a couple hundred acres. They pulled some decent bucks out of there this past season and it'll save me a couple grand by going there. But I want to finally get a walk hanger here with my crossbow! I have my uncle coming from Alaska to bow hunt this year and I'm hoping he connects as well. Good luck fellow hunters on all of your goals!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I guess no one can beat that goal haha

Without that, everything else, and all goals are pretty much out the window..................grin.  After last year, I'll take nothing for granted.

# 1 for me, is still to see my grandson kill his first deer.  He carries my torch when I can no longer participate. This year he will be 14. That opens up firearms season with a rifle. Last two years with bow, we just didn't get it done. This year a bow AND rifle kill would be so awesome!

• Like 4

First to land some property to hunt. And many of you have graciously already offered that up and much appreciated 

Get my daughter to tip over her first turkey. 

Get my daughter her second deer 

For me and her to get 3 combined in the freezer. 

May 1st is rapidly approaching but now that I have a bow ( Thanks The Real TC ) I’d relish the thought of killing a bird with it. I gotta get cracking on that  

To be joining the Live from the woods thread during bow season is going to be awesome ! So of course my first archery deer on top of the list. 

To coyote hunt with success. 

Reasonable goals I think. 

• Like 7

1.) To end up with more than 200 pounds of venison so that we do not have to buy that much chicken and pork (not a big fan of white meat).   

2.) Fill both buck tags.

3.) Improve a few stands to make them more comfortable.   

4.) Break in my new Marlin 336BL 30/30 on an Adirondack buck. 

5.) Kill my first antlerless deer with my crossbow (ideally a button buck).

6.) Kill my first late ML season antlered buck.

I will be very thankful to stay healthy and end up with just #1.    

#1 - to refill the freezer with venison

#2- take a decent buck , doesn't have to be huge. Didn't fill buck tag this year, passed on one too many. 

#3- get back on the turkey train .  Didn't get one last year for the first time in a long time. I had to cancel a lot of may hunting due to lack of staff. 

#4 - fill a tag in muzzleloader season. Never gotten a deer with the smoke pole.  And won't use it in regular season just to tag with it, would like to get one in muzzle with the muzzleloader.  

Lastly to have as much enjoyment out of hunting as I do every year no matter how much game I actually get in freezer.  

• Like 1