Who all trail rides their atv utv ?

This thread rejuvenated my desire to go to Hatfield McCoy trails. I’ve been poking around online and I think I have the wife talked into taking a week trip down there this summer. My FIL has a 4 seater Kawasaki teryx I’m sure he will let us borrow and take down there. I think my two boys will love it!

On 1/13/2018 at 9:45 PM, nyslowhand said:

The biggest stumbling block for getting more NYS land access, from private property owners &/or trail (snowmobile) clubs to allow ATVs is when they are ridden. Think we will all agree an ATV in the right season or terrain conditions might tear-up an otherwise passable trail. I know the local snowmobile club spends lots of time/$$ on grooming & grading their trails in the off season. Last thing they want is to have the typical 2% that might tear up a trail, spoiling it for the other 98% that would respect the landowner's/club's property. JMO, I'd be willing, as a former landowner, to allow snowmobiles on my property, but not ATVs when I might also be on the property at the same time (spring->fall).

Another issue is just how few ATVs are actually registered, limiting the available funds for NYS to build trail systems. Betting few landowners that use their ATVs within their property actually register them. See the registration requirements; only exempt to register if an ATV is solely used for non-profit snow removal or agricultural purposes. Have to admit, I'm guilty! I'd be more than willing to register an ATV, IF there were areas or trail systems to ride it within a reasonable distance.

Sadly, in the mind's of our elected officials, this situation is really low on their priority list. Esp considering the majority of them are from the greater NYC area, so they have little to no support from their constituents to pursue (or fund) this issue.We can only hope...!

Or the ones that can't manage to stay on the trail like many snowmobilers. We used to have a trail that would cross our property and deny access now because they couldn't stay on trail and ruined a lot of money in crops along with the ATV's and trucks that have torn up our hayfields.

6 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

This thread rejuvenated my desire to go to Hatfield McCoy trails. I’ve been poking around online and I think I have the wife talked into taking a week trip down there this summer. My FIL has a 4 seater Kawasaki teryx I’m sure he will let us borrow and take down there. I think my two boys will love it!

That’s on my list of trails to do some day..