How honest are you ?

Water Rat

i have a good relationship with all my neighbors. especially with deer hunting.  if i can see it, i'm getting it. I'm calling or swinging by not too long after to let them know i did and what i got exactly. if i can't see it i'm getting a hold of them first. more for coordination of not screwing anyone else's hunt up and common courtesy.  that's my situation though.

• Like 6

A few years ago, muzzleloader season 2014, I hit an 8Pt the last hour of legal light with muzzleloader.  Had decent blood in the snow and my neighbor joined me to track.  The buck ended up crossing property lines North of me where I don't have permission.  So I tried finding a phone number on the posted sign, no number listed.  By now it was dark so I knew that I wasn't going to mess up anyone's hunt and by the amount of blood I figured the deer wasn't far onto the property, so I decided to track a little into the property, figuring that if I didn't find the deer in about the first 50 yards that I'd back out, find a phone number for permission, and resume tracking in the morning.  Well, we found the deer prob a little less than 50 yds into the property.  Dragged the buck off the property to gut it.  The following morning, I found the phone number on line and called to advise of the deer retrieval because I didn't want anyone to find tracks and think someone was hunting on the property.  I explained that the deer only traveled about 50 yds into the property and that I tried to find a phone number on the posted sign, as well as that I would have backed out to call in the morning for permission if the deer traveled further.  Well, to put it mildly, the guy was still furious and threatened to have me arrested for trespassing.  I told him to do what he needed to do and still managed to end the phone call civilly, half expecting the police to show up at my door.  They never did and I never heard anything further.  The following season, while lastly checking my stands a couple weeks before the bow opener I heard someone putting up posted signs at the border so I went over and introduced myself shaking hands.  First words out of his mouth, were I remember you, you're the trespasser and he followed that with if you even step a foot onto my property again, I'm having you arrested whether you're a cop or not...Well, I bit my tongue again, and remained civil.  He explained that he's had other issues with people trespassing year after year and he's sick of it.  I assured him that I've had the property since 1999 and that was the first time that I've had to retrieve a deer off his property so I'm not the people that he's been having a problem with.  He said that regardless, he's not giving permission to anyone to retrieve deer off his property.  I told him that I have his number and will call if by chance that happens.  Then, I told him that if he has a deer come onto my property to feel free to retrieve it and to call me, explaining not to check on him but only because I like hearing about the deer taken off the properties and that if I'm home I'd even head out to give him a hand.  He said that he wouldn't need a hand and we haven't had to call each other since.  We talked a little more about deer hunting and turkey hunting parting on civil terms.  He said that I seem like a nice guy but he's still not giving permission to anybody.  I told him that hopefully, it'll never be needed but I have his number.  Hopefully if I ever need to call, permission is granted. If not, I have to admit, that I'm not going to waste an animal.  I will still retrieve in the dark so I don't mess up anybody's hunt and deal with the consequences.  I know that I'll get bashed for that on here but it is what it is, I follow all the Encon laws but I'm not going to kill an animal to just let it waste.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

i have a good relationship with all my neighbors. especially with deer hunting.  if i can see it, i'm getting it. I'm calling or swinging by not too long after to let them know i did and what i got exactly. if i can't see it i'm getting a hold of them first. more for coordination of not screwing anyone else's hunt up and common courtesy.  that's my situation though.

I am in a similar situation.  In fact, I saw a live buck about that size and about that distance onto my folk's neighbors land last fall.   He was headed towards the property line.  The closest he got, would have been a 40 yard chip shot, 10 yards onto the posted land.  I did not shoot, but if he had taken those next few steps, onto my folk's land, I would have.   If he then ran back onto the neighbor's posted land and died in sight like that, I would have dialed the neighbor up on the cell phone and asked permission before retrieval.  If he did not grant it, I would have told him the location and asked him if he wanted to keep it, and if he wanted me to gut it for him (I already had just enough venison for our family at that time and I do not know how he did last season).         

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am in a similar situation.  In fact, I saw a live buck about that size and about that distance onto my folk's neighbors land last fall.   He was headed towards the property line.  The closest he got, would have been a 40 yard chip shot, 10 yards onto the posted land.  I did not shoot, but if he had taken those next few steps, onto my folk's land, I would have.   If he then ran back onto the neighbor's posted land and died in sight like that, I would have dialed the neighbor up on the cell phone and asked permission before retrieval.  If he did not grant it, I would have told him the location and asked him if he wanted to keep it, and if he wanted me to gut it for him (I already had just enough venison for our family at that time and I do not know how he did last season).         

we also have a rule that stands must be no less than 20 yards from the property line, unless specifically asked and permission from the neighbor received.  i read your post as hypothetical, that said if i shot a buck and it ran onto the neighbors within sight and they said no.... well that to me doesn't constitute a good relationship. i don't shoot any deer on neighboring property, unless i'm told to specifically at that time by them.  our guidelines have seemed to work well.

My gun buck this year did exactly this.went just over stone pile which seperates the property and dropped feet from it.i did look to see if the neighbor was on the hill as i would of asked out of respect but he wasnt so i got my buck on our property and went to work gutting.id expect him to do the same.if he shot one and it fell onto the property id point out where it is(if i saw it) and congradulate him on the harvest.hoping he would do the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

we also have a rule that stands must be no less than 20 yards from the property line, unless specifically asked and permission from the neighbor received.  i read your post as hypothetical, that said if i shot a buck and it ran onto the neighbors within sight and they said no.... well that to me doesn't constitute a good relationship. i don't shoot any deer on neighboring property, unless i'm told to specifically at that time by them.  our guidelines have seemed to work well.

This guy must go by a similar rule.   The piece he bought had been abandoned by the prior owners, for about 10 years. He closed on it and had it surveyed about midway thru archery season last year.  I did not know exactly where my stand was, relative to the line, and it turned out that it was only about 5 feet onto my folk's property.  He left a note on his nearest posted sign, asking that I move that stand and another one, that was about 40 yards onto his property, prior to gun season.  I did as he requested, moving one 30 yards back, and the other about 100 yards back.    He got very cooperative after I pointed out on his new survey that my folks owned the woods across the back and on one side of the new piece he acquired.   We exchanged cell numbers and agreed to call each other if we had to trail a wounded deer onto the other's land.   He showed me some trail camera video footage, including some of a large-bodied buck that I had killed a week earlier.   My guess is that he would say "yes" to the hypothetical retrieval, but I would still have offered him at least some of the venison if it died on his land.   It is always better to give than to receive.          

This guy bought a pretty big chunk of land and he took the same hard-line approach with multiple adjacent property owners.  He said he was prepared to spend as much time as was necessary in court to see that he had his way.   A few of the other neighbors got mad at him.  The best result I see of his hard-line approach is that it has totally eliminated trespassing issues that have plagued my folk's woods for as long as I can remember.  I did not see any trespassers  last year, from archery season, thru the end of ML.   My take on the situation is that if this guy asks for an inch, I will give him a mile.  It is worth it to me, just to not have to deal with all the trespassers over there.  The last place I want to waste my time is in court.   This year I will probably tell him to feel free to shoot deer on our side of the line, if he would like to.  If he reciprocates, that would be great, but even if he does not, the hunting over there is light years better than it was before he stepped in.   

Edited by wolc123

I think that most of us have some sort of love for our prey and also have a moral responsibility to harvest that animal when it is killed even if the "law" goes against it.  I believe that my person views are similar to those already posted in that I would simply retrieve the animal at that distance.  If the number was clearly posted I would  have no issue calling and asking for permission.   If my morals outweigh the law I will always go with what I feel is right even if that might mean suffering the consequences.  I have also tracked in the dark on posted property, such a rebel I am!  lol

• Like 3

A few years ago, muzzleloader season 2014, I hit an 8Pt the last hour of legal light with muzzleloader.  Had decent blood in the snow and my neighbor joined me to track.  The buck ended up crossing property lines North of me where I don't have permission.  So I tried finding a phone number on the posted sign, no number listed.  By now it was dark so I knew that I wasn't going to mess up anyone's hunt and by the amount of blood I figured the deer wasn't far onto the property, so I decided to track a little into the property, figuring that if I didn't find the deer in about the first 50 yards that I'd back out, find a phone number for permission, and resume tracking in the morning.  Well, we found the deer prob a little less than 50 yds into the property.  Dragged the buck off the property to gut it.  The following morning, I found the phone number on line and called to advise of the deer retrieval because I didn't want anyone to find tracks and think someone was hunting on the property.  I explained that the deer only traveled about 50 yds into the property and that I tried to find a phone number on the posted sign, as well as that I would have backed out to call in the morning for permission if the deer traveled further.  Well, to put it mildly, the guy was still furious and threatened to have me arrested for trespassing.  I told him to do what he needed to do and still managed to end the phone call civilly, half expecting the police to show up at my door.  They never did and I never heard anything further.  The following season, while lastly checking my stands a couple weeks before the bow opener I heard someone putting up posted signs at the border so I went over and introduced myself shaking hands.  First words out of his mouth, were I remember you, you're the trespasser and he followed that with if you even step a foot onto my property again, I'm having you arrested whether you're a cop or not...Well, I bit my tongue again, and remained civil.  He explained that he's had other issues with people trespassing year after year and he's sick of it.  I assured him that I've had the property since 1999 and that was the first time that I've had to retrieve a deer off his property so I'm not the people that he's been having a problem with.  He said that regardless, he's not giving permission to anyone to retrieve deer off his property.  I told him that I have his number and will call if by chance that happens.  Then, I told him that if he has a deer come onto my property to feel free to retrieve it and to call me, explaining not to check on him but only because I like hearing about the deer taken off the properties and that if I'm home I'd even head out to give him a hand.  He said that he wouldn't need a hand and we haven't had to call each other since.  We talked a little more about deer hunting and turkey hunting parting on civil terms.  He said that I seem like a nice guy but he's still not giving permission to anybody.  I told him that hopefully, it'll never be needed but I have his number.  Hopefully if I ever need to call, permission is granted. If not, I have to admit, that I'm not going to waste an animal.  I will still retrieve in the dark so I don't mess up anybody's hunt and deal with the consequences.  I know that I'll get bashed for that on here but it is what it is, I follow all the Encon laws but I'm not going to kill an animal to just let it waste.

That guy sounds like a delight. Sheesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Obviously, having permission or retrieval rights granted before the hunting season starts would be the ideal solution! But ... If I know I don't have retrieval rights or that specific neighbor is.. temperamental, I'm not tempting fate by putting a stand or hunting near that PL. Even if I have permission and put a stand near the PL, it will be facing the area I am hunting and not tempted to shoot on/across the PL.

BUT.. If things don't play out as planned and the deer decides to go further or where it wants, I'd be enforcing the old standard - "It's easier to ask forgiveness than beg for permission!" Even if I'm obliged to give the deer to that property owner, I'm still respecting my kill by retrieving & tagging it! Isn't this one of those unspoken rules not mentioned in Hunting Ethics 101?

• Like 1

I am getting him, because i know my neighbors would do the same.

I am on pretty good terms with most all of my neighbors, we all don't get along but usually never have a problem as long as permission is asked before hand. I do have one neighbor that tries to give a hard time about this, and line hunting(but deep down knows it is not right to keep someone from their deer).. but this guy and his crew are the first ones to shoot a deer standing on the other side of the property line no matter the distance over the line... Found several gut piles and their ATV tracks coming and going from them over the years. I've left well enough alone, in hopes to not have an issue retrieving deer in the future.  

Edited by LET EM GROW

Another thing I have seen is posted signs are not always accurate espspecially on large acre properties. When posting a property several years back for landowner we realized that the bordering property had his signs 50 yds further than property line.  I have seen this on a couple of occasions now........

19 hours ago, moog5050 said:

It seems that we should still be able to apply common sense.  Walk the 10' and drag it back.  I would expect my neighbors to do the same and wouldn't gripe one bit.  If they can see their deer from the property line, they are free to go get it.  

Exactly! x2

I would get it and would expect my neighbors to do the same.