How honest are you ?

Water Rat

I too would wait for the land owner to arrive after calling and give him half the meat and properly remove any blood sign I left I his fallen leaves. Please know that I also never remove the tag from mattresses, roll through stop signs in parking lots, jaywalk, check a text while driving or, God forbid, speed. I also read the entire disclaimer before clicking “I agree”

C’mon Man! Grab YOUR deer and go about your day-if I see the owner later I’ll let him/her know about the recovery and walk her/him through the process if so desired.

Bigger fish to fry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

I too would wait for the land owner to arrive after calling and give him half the meat and properly remove any blood sign I left I his fallen leaves. Please know that I also never remove the tag from mattresses, roll through stop signs in parking lots, jaywalk, check a text while driving or, God forbid, speed. I also read the entire disclaimer before clicking “I agree”

C’mon Man! Grab YOUR deer and go about your day-if I see the owner later I’ll let him/her know about the recovery and walk her/him through the process if so desired.

Bigger fish to fry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:taunt:

How about we add another wrinkle into the question. What if that's not your deer? You are not blood trailing it and have simply spotted it laying there. Do you trespass to check it out to see if it is salvageable and perhaps recover it, or just let it lay there to rot in hopes that whoever shot it is on it's trail?

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

How about we add another wrinkle into the question. What if that's not your deer? You are not blood trailing it and have simply spotted it laying there. Do you trespass to check it out to see if it is salvageable and perhaps recover it, or just let it lay there to rot in hopes that whoever shot it is on it's trail?

I probably would check it out.. I wouldn't  take it though. I would do my best to contact the owner and let him know,      if the deer was salvageable.  

3 hours ago, ncountry said:

I probably would check it out.. I wouldn't  take it though. I would do my best to contact the owner and let him know,      if the deer was salvageable.  

I check road kill.unless it is deer season I will stop and check it out but if knowing it is def road kill I will get a tag from PD.I shoot a deer and drops just over the prop line I am going to get my deer.I have hunted where I have shot a deer and land owner says no its my deer cant really argue just keep hunting

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I would call the landowner and ask if I could take the tail (they work good for making fishing lures).  If I could not get permission, I would not go near it.    What would you do ? 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

If I didn't shoot it I wouldn't take it but I would tell the land owner about it.  Hopefully the shooter would find it.

3 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Let's try real honesty,  How many would let a nice buck, 8-10 pt., not a record buck walk if he was standing 2 ft. on the wrong side of the poster sign & you had a perfect broad side shot, couldn't miss.   Would you shoot it?

That nearly happened to me last fall.  It was a 4 or 6 point and about 10 feet over the line.  It would have been a 40 yard broadside shot with my Ithaca 16 gauge slug gun.  I settled the crosshairs of the 1.5X Weaver scope behind his shoulder, patiently waiting for him to take a couple more steps.  He did not, but walked away parallel with the line, and I did not shoot.  I am not an antler guy and our meat supply was not yet secure at the time.  It was past the mid-point of the season, so I was in full brown-down mode.   If he would have stepped over the line, I would have shot regardless of the antlers he carried.   I was wishing I had a grunt call, but I did not. Fortunately, a nice doe offered me a good shot the next afternoon, so I was able end the season with enough venison to last until this fall.   

Wolc, nice story.  I have your exact gun set up mod.37. 16 ga. with 1.5 weaver but I haven't used it in years, actually was my first shot gun 50+ yrs. ago they are a great little gun.   I took a lot of deer with it.  Last few yrs. I use a rifle or ML.

3 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Let's try real honesty,  How many would let a nice buck, 8-10 pt., not a record buck walk if he was standing 2 ft. on the wrong side of the poster sign & you had a perfect broad side shot, couldn't miss.   Would you shoot it?

Yes I would and I have had that happen.  I have a ladder stand that is about 55 yards from the property line, partially bordered by a stone wall.  Deer travel along both sides of the wall, sometimes on my side and sometimes not.  Over the years, I have had some shooter bucks that I have passed on that were walking on the wrong side of the wall a number of times.  I got a 9Pt quite a few years ago that was walking on the wrong side of the wall that I managed to call over to my side of the wall.  I gave him some grunts and he ended up jumping over the wall looking for a fight...he met a 12Ga slug instead. If he didn't jump the wall to my side, he would have gotten a pass.

9Pt Shotgun.jpg

Edited by JALA RUT
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

Wolc, nice story.  I have your exact gun set up mod.37. 16 ga. with 1.5 weaver but I haven't used it in years, actually was my first shot gun 50+ yrs. ago they are a great little gun.   I took a lot of deer with it.  Last few yrs. I use a rifle or ML.

That was also my first shotgun, left to me by my grandpa about 40 years ago.   I rarely use it anymore, because it is only effective under 75 yards, but I usually tote it a time or two each season in spots where long shots are not expected.    I was sorely tempted to shoot that buck because I was on my grandpas old farm and it would have been the largest antlered buck that I killed on his farm with his old gun.   The hunting has been poor there for many years, due to heavy tresspassing, but the new, high-strung owner of that brushy field out back has turned that situation around with his heavy-handed tactics.   I really did not want to start out on the wrong foot with him.   

I did kill a fine 8-point with that old Ithaca 7 years ago, which got me in a little hot water with another neighbor who bought the woods across the road from our house.   He did not mind me taking a smaller buck over there with my bow, but got a little testy when that big one went down to my shotgun.  He may have been ok with it, had his trouble-making cousin not sent him a new years card (supposidly from me) with a picture of that buck's euro mount (on the left) on it.   Needless to say, I do not hunt there anymore, but I think he got over it.      post-5805-0-82524100-1449372907.jpg

True story...  Yrs ago I hunted a property that bortered another who's owner was a jerk.  The landowner of the property I was hunting and this other guy didn't get along. 

I shot a 4 pt with the bow, and it ran on to the neighboring land.  Decided to walk back to my truck and drive over to his house.  The guy refused me access. I called my local DEC officer and he came and asked. Again refused. The officer told him that he as a officer has the right to enter his property to retrieve the deer. Guy was furious. Took the officer to the blood trail, and he had me wait as he trailed it.  Few min later I hear yelling and here comes the officer. The landowner had found the deer, tagged it and gave the officer a piece of his mind. 

I hunted that property for many years after. Had a few deer die on his property. Never once asked again. Just went and got my deer.  

To this day, if a deer I shot runs onto another property, I ain't asking, I'm getting my deer.  

Edited by mowin

21 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I didn’t think the DEC had that right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard and not sure if true; DEC have more rights to come into your house without a warrant for possible infraction of a game law than say police in other matters.

• Like 1

I've heard and not sure if true; DEC have more rights to come into your house without a warrant for possible infraction of a game law than say police in other matters.

Right but that’s different than coming into your property and taking a deer, or forcing you to let someone else on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a great thread.

In light of how neighbors hunt property lines or shoot whatever saying it’s their legal right ; I’d happily call Encon if there was proof or I caught them.
For non-aggravating neighbors- get your deer.

Before all of my fanfare and neighbors about to make hypocrites of themselves pour out of the wood work, I’d like to add some reference. One of the neighbors owns a 110ft wide swath and they hunt the hell out of it. 33yds wide (think about that). Legal? Yup. Let them retrieve a couple when they first got there and then a trend started. They had runners non stop. Easily with such a small property. We said no more as they had been in our brush looking for dead over and over. Huge pressure negating any safety value of what we pay taxes on. This also became a trend from farther/lesser shots knowing they’d be likely to get whatever back. Nope. Lines are lines. Try and build within 50 ft of a property line and you’ll need a variance.

There is a simple, proper, answer to this thread stemming from kindergarten. Do onto others as you’d like them to do onto you. I’m not going where I don’t belong and won’t settle for someone’s different opinion. And yes, I’ve lived by these (both calling out trespassers and calling for access). It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1