Pretty Cool Sight

moog5050

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Planning on putting one on my black widow.  lol  Neat idea though assuming it really works in a practical sense. 

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fishandhunt/garmin-xero-auto-ranging-digital-bow-sight/

Get one of those in a crossbow model and 200 yard shots should be like a chip shot..lol

It's pretty neat but that is as much as most bows.

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Get one of those in a crossbow model and 200 yard shots should be like a chip shot..lol

It's pretty neat but that is as much as most bows.

True, and no doubt it takes some of the skill out of hunting with a bow.  But if the only goal is to kill deer, I would opt for a cheap bow and the self ranging sight (assuming it works).  Might be money better spent.   I would bet many misses with a compound relate to poor yardage estimation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i'd bet twigs along the way would screw it up. people might be shooting at a deer 40 yards away thinking it's only 20 yards.

Maybe. But range estimation in thick stuff is usually not an issue.  Open hardwoods and fields is where I see this sight as a potential benefit 

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Maybe. But range estimation in thick stuff is usually not an issue.  Open hardwoods and fields is where I see this sight as a potential benefit 

yea i'm not necessarily talking about it being super thick. i'm with you there shots are close and too much to thread the needle down into it.  treestand in open hardwoods is exactly where it'd bite you in the a**.  all clear but that one small section of branch creepin for daylight. especially when you start to lose track of them at first and last light.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Planning on putting one on my black widow.  lol  Neat idea though assuming it really works in a practical sense. 

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fishandhunt/garmin-xero-auto-ranging-digital-bow-sight/

Yup, I want one. Wonder if they have a back-light for the low light times. Neat how it can guide you to your arrow/hit sight. That is a great aid as things don't quite look the same from the ground.

Holy hell I just saw the price. NVM I'll pass. I was thinking for $300 or $400 it wouldn't be horrible being that is what a good range finder for go for. 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Pretty cool technology!  Pretty pricey too.  You didn't even read about stuff like this in comic books, back when I started flinging arrows.......lol   If money was not a factor, I would use this sight.  Would look cool on my 18 year old bow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I'l never spend that kind of money on a sight but I sure do like cool stuff like that. I like how it works with your garmin watch to show where the shot was.

I’ve never spent that much on the two bows I’ve used for 30 years !

Then again I’ve never owned a range finder , or shot at a deer over 25 yards .

9 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I’ve never spent that much on the two bows I’ve used for 30 years !

Then again I’ve never owned a range finder , or shot at a deer over 25 yards .

But just think, you will KNOW that the deer you just shot was at 18 vs. 19yds!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s been years since I shot one that far away , and last year it was zero yards .....

Fair enough and it is expensive but thanks to your gift of hot dogs, I think I will spend near that much at costanzas this year.  lol

I actually love it and I want one. But anytime I come across something I want I have to stop myself and ask, Do I need it? I have a range finder and a 3 pin sight. Statistically aren’t most archery shots 30 yards in? Me personally don’t think I absolutely must have to have this sight but what a cool idea..