Winter 2017-2018

Salmon_Run

Any of you "Big Woods" hunters been up North and know the conditions?

I hope this small break in the weather gives the wildlife a small reprieve and ability to bounce back for the lengthy arctic chill we had. 

Great for ice fishing, bad for the deer population.....

I have not been up since the weekend after closing weekend of rifle. I actually planned to go up last weekend to do a little backcountry skiing on some of the seasonal roads but I chickened out when I saw -17 before wind in the forecast haha. I visited my parents in central VT (about three hours East) and they've been absolutely pounded. Deep snow and relentless cold since Christmas. My next trip up will likely be second weekend in Feb.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, that brief period of time between "ice out" and black fly season!!!!

I love small stream native brook trout fishing in and around beaver dams and well off the beaten path. 

There is a good amount of snow pack and appeared as if the deer are yarded this winter for sure. Unless we get a very warm spring the snow should be around until Mid-April would be my best guess.   

• Like 1

I didn't make it this weekend to visit but that seems correct 20-24 inches compressed ground snow and then they also had the freezing rain and warm temps over this weekend.

The "roller coaster" weather continues for now. I'll keep you guys posted as I go along. 

• Like 1

Where is every one else located in the woods?

Cedar+Canvas and I are both in Morehouse, Hamilton County...

My camp is on the western slope of the mountains so I get heavy lake effect snows. I can drive East a few miles and the accumulation drops significantly.

hi'm in fulton off 29a just east of Canada lake.Seems like it's always damp up there no matter what time of the year,but i love that area.I was going to go up for the three day weekend but there getting a few more ice storms. come on spring!!!!

Edited by rachunter
spelling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Made it up North for a few days, there is maybe 10-12 inches on the ground with slush and mud under.

The lakes and streams are opening up and some snowmobile trails are flooded I was told by groomers I ran into to. There has been a winter of ongoing "yo-yo" temperatures and melting conditions.

Saw lots of typical deer activity in the normal wintering areas.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally made it up to check on my place. Been on pins and needles for the last few months with all the snow. Alls good no damage so far going to walk the property later. About 3-4 inches of snow with a few flakes flying around. 

Quick thanks to 2012_taco for the beautiful boat shelf fits perfectly in my living room. 

2D3B9266-C189-480F-BEC0-57650ADFC7CE.jpeg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Finally made it up to check on my place. Been on pins and needles for the last few months with all the snow. Alls good no damage so far going to walk the property later. About 3-4 inches of snow with a few flakes flying around. 

Quick thanks to 2012_taco for the beautiful boat shelf fits perfectly in my living room. 

2D3B9266-C189-480F-BEC0-57650ADFC7CE.jpeg

What county? Were you the member near Stratford? 

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

What county? Were you the member near Stratford? 

Yup that’s me I’m in Stratford Fulton co. there was a little ice storm on the way up but not to bad. The snow is deep in spots but 3-4 inches on average. Just hiked around my 10 acres didn’t loose any trees this year. This is the first year I didn’t have any damage to the house. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Yup that’s me I’m in Stratford Fulton co. there was a little ice storm on the way up but not to bad. The snow is deep in spots but 3-4 inches on average. Just hiked around my 10 acres didn’t loose any trees this year. This is the first year I didn’t have any damage to the house. 

Ok great, glad you did ok! Our camp is about 20 mins away.  Dad went up a week, and a half ago, and was pushing snow with his 3/4 ton pickup...had to leave, and head back home, too much equipment in the truck to leave near the road.  We are hoping to go up this coming weekend.  Thanks for the info, and nice lamp, it fits perfect there.

• Like 1

Just returned from a week's stay at camp, generally about 18" of ice crystal snow and mud underneath. It was rough going and without snowshoes you "post holed" every other step. It went from nearly fifty early week to 12 above Friday morning and a mini blizzard. All the brooks were blow out to their bank tops as Wednesday it rained all day and then severe winds.

Lots of trees and branches down and a house had the metal roof rolled back near Oxbow.

It's NOT spring yet in the North......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Despite what it seemed like the Winter Severity Index, which measures number of days when the low temperature is below zero or the snow depth is greater than 18", shows this past winter in the mild range.  The chart uses data from Indian Lake since 2000.5aea4c99ebb59_WSIIndexIndianLake2018.thumb.jpg.046388a385fb74b4030e0a23b6d04f4a.jpg

• Like 1