Wonderful Quote From The Late Charlie Alsheimer

Lawdwaz

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

And yet you touched it....don’t worry- your clients are not on this site anyway- your reputation is safe with THEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you prove your agenda on this thread with every one of your posts.  Has nothing to do with the thread or conversation?

I know all about the jealousy all to much so your not alone.

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

i didn't read any of the 4 pages, but super hunter wolc arguing with super hunter four season is a pretty damn hilarious concept. i'd watch the tv show!

The show would be called, "Meat hunter, horn hunter:  A love story".   Gay actors are auditioning for the roles as we speak.  LOL

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

im calling for a cage match!   actually i guess in this case its a high fence match! lol

LOL...And those are just the words the few Jealous ones bring up in posts over and over.  This conversation was about hunting journey and antlers but yet a couple have to bring up big high fence bucks and money?    That is what tells the real story.

• Confused 1

On 1/11/2018 at 12:04 AM, NFA-ADK said:

The quote is this "I learned long ago that a hunter's life is not about the antlers, it's about the joy of the journey".   

Amen to that!  We would quote him daily in camp with his books always present on a table or in hand.  He probably spend more time learning about deer and hanging out with deer than 99% of the people on the planet.  His reach, education, philosophy and wisdom will be deeply missed!  RIP Mr.Alsheimer  To me you where not a good person you where a great person and I will deeply miss your insight, passion and knowledge on deer. 

Prayers for the friends and family along with my deepest sympathy.

Not sure why this did not post.

quote is this "I learned long ago that a hunter's life is not about the antlers, it's about the joy of the journey".   

Amen to that!  We would quote him daily in camp with his books always present on a table or in hand.  He probably spend more time learning about deer and hanging out with deer than 99% of the people on the planet.  His reach, education, philosophy and wisdom will be deeply missed!  RIP Mr.Alsheimer  To me you where not a good person you where a great person and I will deeply miss your insight, passion and knowledge on deer. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Not sure why this did not post.

quote is this "I learned long ago that a hunter's life is not about the antlers, it's about the joy of the journey".   

Amen to that!  We would quote him daily in camp with his books always present on a table or in hand.  He probably spend more time learning about deer and hanging out with deer than 99% of the people on the planet.  His reach, education, philosophy and wisdom will be deeply missed!  RIP Mr.Alsheimer  To me you where not a good person you where a great person and I will deeply miss your insight, passion and knowledge on deer. 

You my friend, "get it", and have the true hunters spirit. Along with most others here. Though many of us do shoot the best deer we can, antlers do not consume us. There are far to many other variables that make up what most consider a good hunt, successful or not. One of my best deer ever, was an old matriark doe that busted me, time and again, for three years, before I was able to arrow her. She was more satisfying to me, than some of my biggest bucks. Charlie A said as much in one of his articles in D&DH a few years ago too. Shoot what makes you happy, and be happy with what you shoot. And never question what may make another hunter happy. Most all of us, "get" this. FSW will come back and flame me as a hypocrite, that's ok.  But his antics on here lately, have left me shaking my head, as to why he feels everyone should be like him. And if they are not, they are somewhat inferior to him. That's kinda sad really. No doubt, Charlie A. would say the same too. And it's fine with me if FSW chooses to shoot only a B& C buck each year! Cool! Good for him! I do really enjoy the back and forth on a hunting forum.  What I don't enjoy, though it comes with the territory, is the holier than thou, elitist attitudes, sometimes on display by some. No doubt, some will just never have the true hunters spirit or "get it". I can tell ya, it's not measured in inches.  I'll make sure my grandson has the "true hunters spirit," to pass along to the future of hunting. It just ain't all about antlers. JMO. Take it for what it is.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, grampy said:

You my friend, "get it", and have the true hunters spirit. Along with most others here. Though many of us do shoot the best deer we can, antlers do not consume us. There are far to many other variables that make up what most consider a good hunt, successful or not. One of my best deer ever, was an old matriark doe that busted me, time and again, for three years, before I was able to arrow her. She was more satisfying to me, than some of my biggest bucks. Charlie A said as much in one of his articles in D&DH a few years ago too. Shoot what makes you happy, and be happy with what you shoot. And never question what may make another hunter happy. Most all of us, "get" this. FSW will come back and flame me as a hypocrite, that's ok.  But his antics on here lately, have left me shaking my head, as to why he feels everyone should be like him. And if they are not, they are somewhat inferior to him. That's kinda sad really. No doubt, Charlie A. would say the same too. And it's fine with me if FSW chooses to shoot only a B& C buck each year! Cool! Good for him! I do really enjoy the back and forth on a hunting forum.  What I don't enjoy, though it comes with the territory, is the holier than thou, elitist attitudes, sometimes on display by some. No doubt, some will just never have the true hunters spirit or "get it". I can tell ya, it's not measured in inches.  I'll make sure my grandson has the "true hunters spirit," to pass along to the future of hunting. It just ain't all about antlers. JMO. Take it for what it is.

Hypocrite is a good word for it.  You say yourself in these words....Many of us shoot the BEST---In that words means the BIGGEST 99% of the time. That my friend to a point says that antlers do consume hunters.  Yes many will take a lesser deer if they dont get their...HITLIST 1-2 or 3 buck= Just read the treads and look at trail cam pics.  Antlers are and for many years have been the driving force in hunting and will continue to grow. Some of us just refuse to shoot a smaller,Baby-Dumbest deer in the woods. Pretty Simple.

Still after 40 years of hunting have yet to hear many hunters wake up at 4am just wishing and praying that that little spike they saw on their camera walks out this morning.   A blind man can see where hunting is today with all the high tech gadgets and food plot push is to hammer the biggest ANTLERED buck in the woods.  That is just a small part of the push. Deny all one wants but its proven at every turn. Big antlers hit the wall for all to see and the little antlers get thrown in the bucket in the garage. Strange!

1 hour ago, grampy said:

If hunting gets more of this and less of the other guy it will be in a good spot for sure.

He represents the bad half of hunting, the half that will stop at nothing to get that buck, be it feeding in the winter, putting out bait on front of his cams and minerals in the soil or poisoning coyote dens. It all leads up to that "big buck", (which may or not be big to the next hunter). Most of the time the guy that runs his mouth the most is also the most full of crap. A legend in his or her own mind.

I am more concerned with teaching my kids, not just how to hunt and kill game, but to do it the right way and not turn out being an asshole like FSW.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The entire difference in positions, and what Mr. Alsheimer was likely getting at in that quote, is the motivation to hunt.

Just being in the woods with these animals is motivation for most people, I'd suspect.

Agree 100%, my motivation to pop out of bed at 4am is to see deer, not a particular deer, any deer.  I dont wake up thinking todays the day i shoot a big buck, if it happens fine but that has never been the motivation to get out there and hunt for me or my family. To be honest the most enjoyable part of hunting is all the pre-season activities, butchering deer, family time..etc. Dont get me wrong i have been very blessed through the years in getting big bucks and will continue to hunt big bucks, but i have been known to shoot a doe or a young buck just as fast. I love to hunt and enjoy the meat, even better is spending time with my family...its never and never will be about  horns. Some are just driven by $ while others learn fast that $ cant buy alot of things in life.  I dont see why anyone cant make a honest living selling deer, more power to that person/s, however fot these person/s to assume all hunters are horn hunters, is just not accurate. From what i can see not many people are agreeing  with FSW and i think we as a forum are a good sample of NY hunters from all over this great state, which prroves that hunting for the vast majority on this forum its  not  about horns.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, grampy said:

More likes than I can add to this and NFA's post!  Well said!

If hunting gets more of this and less of the other guy it will be in a good spot for sure.
He represents the bad half of hunting, the half that will stop at nothing to get that buck, be it feeding in the winter, putting out bait on front of his cams and minerals in the soil or poisoning coyote dens. It all leads up to that "big buck", (which may or not be big to the next hunter). Most of the time the guy that runs his mouth the most is also the most full of crap. A legend in his or her own mind.
I am more concerned with teaching my kids, not just how to hunt and kill game, but to do it the right way and not turn out being an asshole like FSW.

Coming from you? This means less than little. He will grow up and see what's out there to be had and will come to the ones that know how to get what's out there. Where will that leave you. Your petty little name calling just proves more of the jealousy you have always had. Deal with it!

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Hypocrite is a good word for it.  You say yourself in these words....Many of us shoot the BEST---In that words means the BIGGEST 99% of the time. That my friend to a point says that antlers do consume hunters.  Yes many will take a lesser deer if they dont get their...HITLIST 1-2 or 3 buck= Just read the treads and look at trail cam pics.  Antlers are and for many years have been the driving force in hunting and will continue to grow. Some of us just refuse to shoot a smaller,Baby-Dumbest deer in the woods. Pretty Simple.

Still after 40 years of hunting have yet to hear many hunters wake up at 4am just wishing and praying that that little spike they saw on their camera walks out this morning.   A blind man can see where hunting is today with all the high tech gadgets and food plot push is to hammer the biggest ANTLERED buck in the woods.  That is just a small part of the push. Deny all one wants but its proven at every turn. Big antlers hit the wall for all to see and the little antlers get thrown in the bucket in the garage. Strange!

If this were the case why would guys even get out of bed once they shot a buck? I've filled my buck tag on opening day or opening weekend and still looked forward to gettign out of bed every day I had available to hunt and fill my doe tag/tags. I've still gone to hunting camp even when I was tagged out. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

The entire difference in positions, and what Mr. Alsheimer was likely getting at in that quote, is the motivation to hunt.

Just being in the woods with these animals is motivation for most people, I'd suspect.

Some of my best memories didn't result in a gut out. Just this past season may have been the coolest experience seeing a mature buck snort wheeze twice at another. Sure would have liked to harvest that buck, but I still walked away smiling with a tag in my pocket. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If this were the case why would guys even get out of bed once they shot a buck? I've filled my buck tag on opening day or opening weekend and still looked forward to gettign out of bed every day I had available to hunt and fill my doe tag/tags. I've still gone to hunting camp even when I was tagged out. 

SUBCONCIOUSLY you still wanted to kill a big buck and probably would have poached one if you had the chance.

You just didn't know it because the antler inches were clouding your judgement.

What other explanation could there be....? :dontknow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Geez guys, dial it back a little willya?

I love a good debate, but isn't it possible to do so respectfully? At least a little respectfully?

I have to agree 100%  Just because you do not agree with someone or do not like how they do things is not reason to call them out on here specifically. 

"I am more concerned with teaching my kids, not just how to hunt and kill game, but to do it the right way and not turn out being an asshole like FSW."  (Quoted)

You could have said:  "I am more concerned with teaching my kids, not just how to hunt and kill game, but to do it the right way and not turn out being a jerk." 

I think we all have some stress in our life, do you really need more by arguing with some person you will likely never meet in person?  I learned a long time ago on this forum that it's better to ignore someone who has opposite values from your own then try to belittle or put down that person even if you are right.     

A little more respect and courtesy should be shown here IMO.  We wont all agree on many things that does not mean you need to badger that person!  We have pages and pages where we argue yet many are willing to look at that persons view and try to see it from there perspective others say its my way or they are wrong.  Real easy to belittle someone on the internet and really shows how easy it is to disrespect torment and put down a view you do not approve of.  

Show your integrity! 

• Like 1

No you see the problem arises when some always turns a conversation into my deer and how much money I make with them. Always Has. He made the quote that it's about the journey and I made the statement that some of us like to enjoy the antler with that journey. Period. Nothing more nothing less. That has nothing to do with who shot what a why. Just look at the posts and see who twisted the thread. Everybody reading these words knows that the hunting industry is now pushed by antlers and many even do so in the trail cam thread. Yes people shoot a lesser deer for one reason or another but it's most hunters hope and drive to kill a big one. Hence the big racks get mounted for all to see and the little guys get tossed under a shelf somewhere. Now all might not ever kill a big deer and do not have the place or what it takes to get it done but they sure are wishing the whole time sitting there that a big one comes out before a little one and now most will even pass the little one. Just that simple

3 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

No you see the problem arises when some always turns a conversation into my deer and how much money I make with them. Always Has. He made the quote that it's about the journey and I made the statement that some of us like to enjoy the antler with that journey. Period. Nothing more nothing less. That has nothing to do with who shot what a why. Just look at the posts and see who twisted the thread. Everybody reading these words knows that the hunting industry is now pushed by antlers and many even do so in the trail cam thread. Yes people shoot a lesser deer for one reason or another but it's most hunters hope and drive to kill a big one. Hence the big racks get mounted for all to see and the little guys get tossed under a shelf somewhere. Now all might not ever kill a big deer and do not have the place or what it takes to get it done but they sure are wishing the whole time sitting there that a big one comes out before a little one and now most will even pass the little one. Just that simple

I get that for some. I honestly can't say what is truly on others hearts or heads.  I will say that I LOVE the cat and mouse game and knowing that there are some really nice bucks around can focus my efforts a bit. It seems like there are two extreme ideas that were put out there in this thread and others. That the majority are in it just for the experience and that the majority are in it just for the love of horns. Like everything else in life  the actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  I'm 52. From 8 year sold to 50 years old I spent every weekend,  Thanksgiving and  some vacation days hunting with my Father. I do like chasing around some big bucks but sure would take never seeing another buck to have a couple hours around the hunting camp table swapping the same old stories.  For me I do love hunting camp. At our place the hunting sucks really compared to some of the access i have in WNY.  Even with that I spend opening weekend and the whole opening week at camp. As long as the weather allows me to get in I still go to camp. Everybody thinks I am nuts but  gun season just has to be deer camp (even with no deer) lol

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I get that for some. I honestly can't say what is truly on others hearts or heads.  I will say that I LOVE the cat and mouse game and knowing that there are some really nice bucks around can focus my efforts a bit. It seems like there are two extreme ideas that were put out there in this thread and others. That the majority are in it just for the experience and that the majority are in it just for the love of horns. Like everything else in life  the actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  I'm 52. From 8 year sold to 50 years old I spent every weekend,  Thanksgiving and  some vacation days hunting with my Father. I do like chasing around some big bucks but sure would take never seeing another buck to have a couple hours around the hunting camp table swapping the same old stories.  For me I do love hunting camp. At our place the hunting sucks really compared to some of the access i have in WNY.  Even with that I spend opening weekend and the whole opening week at camp. As long as the weather allows me to get in I still go to camp. Everybody thinks I am nuts but  gun season just has to be deer camp (even with no deer) lol

Amen. I had pics of some really nice bucks that I could hunt close to home, still went to camp for the gun opener. Its about the get together

• Like 1