Wonderful Quote From The Late Charlie Alsheimer

Lawdwaz

Today I got the latest issue of "New York Outdoors" and on the front page is an article announcing the death of Charles Alsheimer.  It was noted on this site a couple days ago that he had died recently. 

I won't go into all the details of the article as I'm getting tired but, one thing that struck me was a portion of a quote that a few guys on here (and you KNOW who you are) should read and really think about.

The quote is this "I learned long ago that a hunter's life is not about the antlers, it's about the joy of the journey".

Simple but powerful stuff and something I hope I never loose sight of.

RIP Charles Alsheimer

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Today I got the latest issue of "New York Outdoors" and on the front page is an article announcing the death of Charles Alsheimer.  It was noted on this site a couple days ago that he had died recently. 

I won't go into all the details of the article as I'm getting tired but, one thing that struck me was a portion of a quote that a few guys on here (and you KNOW who you are) should read and really think about.

The quote is this "I learned a long ago that a hunter's life is not about the antlers, it's about the joy of the journey".

RIP Charles Alsheimer

Remember his books as a young hunter. Signed them out of my high school library.

Ya, remember when a high school had books that believed in hunting and the hunting lifestyle???? 

Yep, I'm getting old..... Lol

RIP .  Charles.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

The quote is this "I learned long ago that a hunter's life is not about the antlers, it's about the joy of the journey".

RIP Charles Alsheimer

It sounds like he had his priorities right.   He learned that the "joy of the journey" comes from faith in Jesus Christ, and was not afraid to share that with others.   That alone will make sure that his "journey" will continue forever.  It is hard to overstate how much better the Earthly part that journey gets after making that connection.           

Amen to that!  We would quote him daily in camp with his books always present on a table or in hand.  He probably spend more time learning about deer and hanging out with deer than 99% of the people on the planet.  His reach, education, philosophy and wisdom will be deeply missed!  RIP Mr.Alsheimer  To me you where not a good person you where a great person and I will deeply miss your insight, passion and knowledge on deer. 

Prayers for the friends and family along with my deepest sympathy.

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It sounds like he had his priorities right.   He learned that the "joy of the journey" comes from faith in Jesus Christ, and was not afraid to share that with others.   That alone will make sure that his "journey" will continue forever.  It is hard to overstate how much better the Earthly part that journey gets after making that connection.           

So true... our journey on Earth was a gift given to us by the Lord. Understanding and embracing how great a gift that is and how much on Earth there is for us to enjoy is the key... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

RIP Charles Alsheimer

Mr. Alsheimer truly had a "Hunters Spirit".  His words of wisdom ring from the wild places we go.  Only those with the kindred "Hunting Spirit" will hear them, and understand. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Good think all hunters are different. Some of us get to enjoy the antlers right along with the journey. Makes the ride twice as sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, some of us are VERY different..................  Guess it's all in how one perceives it I suppose.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Good think all hunters are different. Some of us get to enjoy the antlers right along with the journey. Makes the ride twice as sweet.

It is nice to see a few guys waking up this year on this site.  Antler idolatry seems to be on the decline.   

It is nice to see a few guys waking up this year on this site.  Antler idolatry seems to be on the decline.   

Your listening to your own brain farts again. Would like to see somewhere that proves your statement to any amount? I can prove you wrong in dozens of places. Dream On! Maybe if you pray just a little bit harder your thinking may come true.

Your listening to your own brain farts again. Would like to see somewhere that proves your statement to any amount? I can prove you wrong in dozens of places. Dream On! Maybe if you pray just a little bit harder your thinking may come true.

How can someone who is so against others pushing their agenda on others continually push their agenda on everyone else?

When will people stop using such broad brushes to try and paint all hunters in the same way and just let people do (legally) and say (respectfully) what they want.

• Like 1

How can someone who is so against others pushing their agenda on others continually push their agenda on everyone else?

When will people stop using such broad brushes to try and paint all hunters in the same way and just let people do (legally) and say (respectfully) what they want.

People can say whatever they want. But when they say crap that is not even close to.being truthful they will and should get called to the carpet. Can't see where anyone pushed any agenda. One lied and one called him out! Simple

People can say whatever they want. But when they say crap that is not even close to.being truthful they will and should get called to the carpet. Can't see where anyone pushed any agenda. One lied and one called him out! Simple

Why am I doing this? Why bother? Anyway here we go...
You say antlers rule the day- he say no one cares about antlers anymore. BOTH are extremist statements that cannot be verified as truth since BOTH statements are subjective and broad stroked.
Many (Notice I didn’t say ALL) would probably agree (also a non-verifiable statement) that hunters should hunt and harvest what is good for them(legally of course) regardless of what YOU think everybody else SHOULD think(cuz you know what’s best for US-or is that best for you and your business).

• Like 1

By the way, R.I.P. Charlie. I spent a good many hours trying to apply his research to where I hunt and he clearly was a true dedicated master of what he loved most...those who read, watched and listened to him benefitted greatly from his life’s work.

Why am I doing this? Why bother? Anyway here we go...
You say antlers rule the day- he say no one cares about antlers anymore. BOTH are extremist statements that cannot be verified as truth since BOTH statements are subjective and broad stroked.
Many (Notice I didn’t say ALL) would probably agree (also a non-verifiable statement) that hunters should hunt and harvest what is good for them(legally of course) regardless of what YOU think everybody else SHOULD think(cuz you know what’s best for US-or is that best for you and your business).

First off your right and both statements are broad statements but like I said. I can back my statement up 10 fold seeing thou about everything involved in hunting involves or has something to do with big antlers. Period. And my business really has nothing to do with this other than your right in a way because I sell 20-30 bucks a year and they score between 150 and 275 inches and have yet to ever sell a spike buck or scrub 6-8 pointer. So that is just another proven fact and something else that proves the demand for bigger antlers. Just simple fact and the way it is in today's hunting!

13 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

First off your right and both statements are broad statements but like I said. I can back my statement up 10 fold seeing thou about everything involved in hunting involves or has something to do with big antlers. Period. And my business really has nothing to do with this other than your right in a way because I sell 20-30 bucks a year and they score between 150 and 275 inches and have yet to ever sell a spike buck or scrub 6-8 pointer. So that is just another proven fact and something else that proves the demand for bigger antlers. Just simple fact and the way it is in today's hunting!

Have you ever tasted a 6 month old one ?

Do you not realize that you are basing your entire logic off of YOUR experience? And those people who buy your antlers are a very small majority of the NY hunter since most of the actual NY hunters cannot afford/would not pay for that experience.

Do I get jazzed up seeing a monster buck while on stand or on a camera? Of course. However, I get equally jazzed up over seeing any deer I can legally take show up in an optimal shooting lane. I like the preparation, the hunt, the act of the harvest, the track after the shot, the processing and butchering and the cooking of game harvested. Whether horns are at the end of that experience is irrelevant FOR ME.

To be honest, a big rack puts financial and domestic pressures on me that I would rather not deal with. Paying someone to cape it correctly. Getting it to the person to do that work. Cost of a mount. Hanging it my house that does not have a man cave/trophy room because I have a FAMILY room and high enough taxes.

Would I hold off and shoot a monster buck trailing a fat doe? Probably. Would I be more happy if the fat doe came in well in advance of me seeing the monster, I shoot the fat doe and SEE the monster (so I can tell my partner-who is more financially comfortable and slightly more in a horn camp- to harvest him later).

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Yeah and the fact is that you are in the minority.. if you dont think hunting rolls around big bucks you dont get out much. Every thing sold about hunting is big buck drivin. Every hunter that puts trail cams out are big buck drivin...I could go on and on.  

No sorry Wolc i dont eat baby animals of any breed,

32 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Do you not realize that you are basing your entire logic off of YOUR experience? And those people who buy your antlers are a very small majority of the NY hunter since most of the actual NY hunters cannot afford/would not pay for that experience.

Do I get jazzed up seeing a monster buck while on stand or on a camera? Of course. However, I get equally jazzed up over seeing any deer I can legally take show up in an optimal shooting lane. I like the preparation, the hunt, the act of the harvest, the track after the shot, the processing and butchering and the cooking of game harvested. Whether horns are at the end of that experience is irrelevant FOR ME.

To be honest, a big rack puts financial and domestic pressures on me that I would rather not deal with. Paying someone to cape it correctly. Getting it to the person to do that work. Cost of a mount. Hanging it my house that does not have a man cave/trophy room because I have a FAMILY room and high enough taxes.

Would I hold off and shoot a monster buck trailing a fat doe? Probably. Would I be more happy if the fat doe came in well in advance of me seeing the monster, I shoot the fat doe and SEE the monster (so I can tell my partner-who is more financially comfortable and slightly more in a horn camp- to harvest him later).

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

I wouldn't waste your time or breath, he's in the business of growing and selling big bucks to eventually be shot by rich fat cat "shooters" and you'll never sway him.  

Don't ever confuse the "shooter" with a "hunter", wildly different.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

I wouldn't waste your time or breath, he's in the business of growing and selling big bucks to eventually be shot by rich fat cat "shooters" and you'll never sway him.  
Don't ever confuse the "shooter" from a "hunter", wildly different.

I hear ya....at some I just can’t stand hypocrisy- sway him no...change him- not my job. He puts his head on his pillow at night and is not my responsibility. I just know that we get New hunters here all the time who could be easily swayed to think that his word(or wolc’s word-less likely-sorry man!) is ACTUALLY the way it is and then feel badly about a harvest that they are proud of (until he gets on his stump about growing bigger horns)

8 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

. . .  hunting rolls around big bucks . . . .

In terms of a "unit of measure", would it be fair to say that you are looking at it from the dollar economic activity/expenditures by hunters? That there are millions and millions of dollars spent each year by hunters on equipment, land, experiences, et al, and that these expenditures are motivated by a desire to get big bucks? And if so, I can see that.

What if one looks at things from the perspective of number of hunters? I'd guess that 20% of the hunters account for 80% of the dollars spent on hunting/the pursuit of big bucks. I also get the feeling that there are a lot of hunters out there that due to time and or budget limitations, can't really pursue big bucks, or at least not "do it right", and have to settle for harvesting a lesser deer, especially if the venison is an important component of their food budget.

So depending on what unit of measure ($'s spend on hunting vs number of hunters) one uses to look at the issue, one could say different things, and both "be true". There might be a way for both viewpoints to coexist without conflicting with each other. Just a thought.