Pickle Crock!!

I've seen some of the 10 gal. Red Wing crocks selling for 4x's what you got this one listed at. Any idea what brand is on it?

Some folks like to repurpose them as garbage cans of all things.

I found a very similar one lodged between two mature trees while hiking a few years ago. To this day that old clay crock is still there with no cracks and in one piece although it gets swallowed a little more every year.... and it eats at me every time I have to walk past it! One of these days it's just gonna pop and melt back into the earth!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wooly said:

I've seen some of the 10 gal. Red Wing crocks selling for 4x's what you got this one listed at. Any idea what brand is on it?

Some folks like to repurpose them as garbage cans of all things.

I found a very similar one lodged between two mature trees while hiking a few years ago. To this day that old clay crock is still there with no cracks and in one piece although it gets swallowed a little more every year.... and it eats at me every time I have to walk past it! One of these days it's just gonna pop and melt back into the earth!

I see them listed for $700 but never as "Sold". Cant find a brand on it. It was in my 98 year old neighbors attic. I helped clean the house after he passed and his daughter gave it to me

• Like 1

Many years ago, in a galaxy far away, my father in law, who was dairy farmer, offered me some corned beef that he had made himself...

He wasn't exactly a gourmet beef guy...He milked Holsteins , and if one of those old black and white grannies slipped on the ice in the barnyard and SPLIT  herself, that was his beef....

He had perhaps a 40 gallon crock in his dug cellar... He fished around in the crock and brought up the ugliest looking piece of beef I had ever seen..I could not tell which part of the cow it had come from..

I took it home and cooked it up and it was the best corned beef I ever had...

Since then, I have made corned venison that tasted pretty good, but I  never have had any better corned beef..

• Like 3

Pickles arent the only things pickled. Take Sodfathers mergansers for example

Well right that much I know is there something special about the makeup of this crock thy makes it perfect for pickeling? Serious question by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Well right that much I know is there something special about the makeup of this crock thy makes it perfect for pickeling? Serious question by the way.

Nothing special except size and when it would have been used,Remember these were before fridge's back when most had a larger family than these modern have

21 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

It’s been created geometrically perfect for a pickling crock.   In fact, it’s base cane be calculated by multiplying 3.14 times radius squared.  The perfect crock.  And it’s tan with a brown inside.   Oh and it doesn’t leak.   Or does it?

• Like 1

It’s been created geometrically perfect for a pickling crock.   In fact, it’s base cane be calculated by multiplying 3.14 times radius squared.  The perfect crock.  And it’s tan with a brown inside.   Oh and it doesn’t leak.   Or does it?

I feel like a lid of some sort needs to be involved as well.... or does it?