Deer with a m1 .30 carbine ?

Hunter007

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

I have a buddy that used one and it just annihilated the thing. It was also a FMJ. Same guy uses a M1A with soft points and had good result DRT kind of stuff.

I want to get one of the new reproductions. 

Don't know  if i would use it as a primary weapon for deer hunting but I think if I get  the right ammo bullet that gets good mushrooming   I think at close range under  100 yards should be a nice light gun to take out  hunting  once in a while.   

5  shot mags for the  M1 carbine are available from many sources...Midway or Brownells would be a couple of good places to check.  I just did a quick google search and found  them on ebay for $9  plus shipping...

Edited by Pygmy

14 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

When I was a kid down south you could get those for 150$ Army Surplus at Woolworths

If only I new 

Google them lol anywhere from 1700$ to 2000$ grand for a m1a in 308..everything that's fun cost money 

Edited by silent death

11 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

5  shot mags for the  M1 carbine are available from many sources...Midway or Brownells would be a couple of good places to check.  I just did a quick google search and found  them on ebay for $9  plus shipping...

Yea There around and besides the ones you find online , i am sure any good gunsmith or someone who knows about Gunsmithing could  easly modify a ten rounder into a five with know problem. 

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

I want to get one of the new reproductions. 

Don't know  if i would use it as a primary weapon for deer hunting but I think if I get  the right ammo bullet that gets good mushrooming   I think at close range under  100 yards should be a nice light gun to take out  hunting  once in a while.   

His is a Springfield, he has a Leupold optic up top.

4 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Any one here hunt with the m1 carbine .

What bullet  did you use how effective was it for you

I have seen several of your posts and it is apparent that you are looking for a compact short handy (BRUSH) rifle that can be used for some Deer hunting. A rifle in 9mm and the 30 cal M1 carbine can kill a Deer but they really are not ideal. You seem to be leaning toward an autoloader and do not mind the military look. I believe the Ruger Mini 14 chambered in 300 Blackout tactical fits your bill best and especially so if you handload as all the good quality 308 size bullets in their various weights can be used and would be pretty effective on Deer at short to moderate ranges.The Mini 14 in 7.62X39 Russian is also good but it's 310 bullet size puts it in second place to the Blackout for me as a hunting rifle.

Al

2018-01-12_123711.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have seen several of your posts and it is apparent that you are looking for a compact short handy (BRUSH) rifle that can be used for some Deer hunting. A rifle in 9mm and the 30 cal M1 carbine can kill a Deer but they really are not ideal. You seem to be leaning toward an autoloader and do not mind the military look. I believe the Ruger Mini 14 chambered in 300 Whisper tactical fits your bill best and especially so if you handload as all the good quality 308 size bullets in their various weights can be used and would be pretty effective on Deer at short to moderate ranges.The Mini 14 in 7.62X39 Russian is also good but it's 310 bullet size puts it in second place to the Whisper for me as a hunting rifle.

Al

2018-01-12_123711.png

Yea looking at that to and the Alaskan 44 mag lever action .

I want something light and relatively powerful  

Have number of big cal  8 pound  guns  to use .

But nothing  light  that potentially could take a deer ethically .

Without much knowledge of the gun is there a certain type magazine I should be looking for? At least for myself personally not knowing the gun well is what has kept me from buying just any magazine online for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea looking at that to and the Alaskan 44 mag lever action .
I want something light and relatively powerful  
Have number of big cal  8 pound  guns  to use .
But nothing  light  that potentially could take a deer ethically .

If you're talking about the Chiapaa Alaskan, I held one not long ago and liked it but it is a 92 clone so scope mounting is challenging if that's your plane. The other thing I hated about it is that it comes with a circular rear sight aperture with it not being close to your eye like a Peep it doesn't make much Sense.

If going lever it's tough to beat the Henry's although a little heavy they are wonderful rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1