Storm914

Deer with a m1 .30 carbine ?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Moho81 said:


Without much knowledge of the gun is there a certain type magazine I should be looking for? At least for myself personally not knowing the gun well is what has kept me from buying just any magazine online for him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any 5 shot mag made for the  M1  US .30 Cal carbine should work fine...It will be an aftermarket because  as far as I know the military issue ones are all either 15 or 30 shot...Good luck, Moho  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Any 5 shot mag made for the  M1  US .30 Cal carbine should work fine...It will be an aftermarket because  as far as I know the military issue ones are all either 15 or 30 shot...Good luck, Moho  !

And 10 I think 

Edited by Storm914

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

And 10 I think 

 

30 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

And 10 I think 

I am not an expert, but I never saw or heard of a 10 round military  mag for the carbine...The 15 was the standard  and most often seen,  and then they had the 30 round "banana"   mags,  which were issued later in WWII  and used a lot in Korea and even in Vietnam,  by the ROK and South Vietnamese  troops..By that time a lot of the carbines were the M1A2  selective fire....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

 

I am not an expert, but I never saw or heard of a 10 round military  mag for the carbine...The 15 was the standard  and most often seen,  and then they had the 30 round "banana"   mags,  which were issued later in WWII  and used a lot in Korea and even in Vietnam,  by the ROK and South Vietnamese  troops..By that time a lot of the carbines were the M1A2  selective fire....

You are  probably right about the Originals but the new reproduction m1 carbines  

You can buy with 10  round mags 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I never said that you couldn't buy aftermarket 5 or 10 round mags, simply that according to my knowledge, the armed services only contracted and issued  carbine mags in 15 and 30 round  barring prototypes  or such...Are we happy now Stormy ?.....<<grin>>......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

 I never said that you couldn't buy aftermarket 5 or 10 round mags, simply that according to my knowledge, the armed services only contracted and issued  carbine mags in 15 and 30 round  barring prototypes  or such...Are we happy now Stormy ?.....<<grin>>......

Yea   sorry 

I was taking about the new reproduction models made by 

Auto-Ordnance  the new ones are sold stock with 10 or  15 round mags 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are talking about a M1 carbine round and not a M1 Grande (30-06) or a M1A1 (308) round would say why would you want to hunt deer with it. The M1 carbine round its standard round is 110gr FMJ with a muzzle velocity of about 2000 FPS that comes out to be about 977 energy FLB’s at the muzzle. If you reload you would have more options for bullets but it is still under powered for deer hunting.

Here is a quote from my hornady reloading book on the 30 Cal carbine. As a hunting round it should be limited to plinking and small game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an M1 Carbine and have killed deer with it.  You can buy factory loaded 110 grain soft point cartridges to hunt with.  You can also find, or reload, 110 grain hollow point bullets in it, but they do not penetrate well enough to deer hunt with IMHO.

I prefer to use my own hand loads. They are max loads using 110 grain soft points.  They will reliably kill a deer with a well placed shot out to 50 yards.  This round is very close to the ballistics of a .357 Magnum fired from a rifle with an 18" barrel.  But will penetrate farther due to it's .30 caliber diameter.  The M1 Carbine does not have enough energy past 50 yards for me to feel it will effectively take deer beyond that range.

It does fill the need for a fast handling light weight semi auto for deer hunting when you are hunting where the shots will be less than 50 yards.  I see 5 & 10 round mags for sale most places M1 Carbine mags can be found.  It's a fun little firearm that will also work very well for home defense here in NY when using a couple of 10 round mags.  It's a rifle the anti gun idiots in this state have yet to find scary.

One last word on it.  Just stick with the peep sights it comes with or upgrade to better ones.  Scoping an M1 Carbine is really useless, as it throws off the balance, slows it's handling, increases the weight a lot and isn't needed for close range work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wanted to use a carbine I would try to by a Ruger 44 mag carbine. the bullet weighs more than twice what the 30cal does and has 1651efp at the muzzle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good carbine too, but is much heavier than an M1 Carbine.  The old ones also had a tubular magazine and the gun only held 3 rounds I think.  The newer Deerfield carbines use a detachable magazine, but they are still pretty heavy for a carbine.  Might just as well get a Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39 and have the power of a .30-30 that weighs what the .44 Carbine does.  It doubles as a SHTF rifle too because, like the M1 carbine, it can accept large cap mags if needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rattler said:

It's a good carbine too, but is much heavier than an M1 Carbine.  The old ones also had a tubular magazine and the gun only held 3 rounds I think.  The newer Deerfield carbines use a detachable magazine, but they are still pretty heavy for a carbine.  Might just as well get a Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39 and have the power of a .30-30 that weighs what the .44 Carbine does.  It doubles as a SHTF rifle too because, like the M1 carbine, it can accept large cap mags if needed.

I was thinking the same thing

Ruger Mini 30  7.62 × 39  is  pretty light  and hits enough for deer with in 100 yards .

One  thing that bothers me about it is, its ammo picky . I have seen and read it 

Does not like the cheep Russian stuff .

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After hunting deer with the M1 Carbine, I used a friends Ruger .44 Carbine (the older style) and took one buck with it ( at only 5 yards too ).  That got me hankering for a .44 magnum carbine, but I didn't care too much for the Ruger.  Mainly because it only held a few rounds and was quite fat and heavy for a carbine.  It was then that I decide to get a Marlin .44 magnum lever action carbine.  Now that is a really nice little carbine for deer hunting.

Today I have decided my lightweight carbine needs are satisfied with my little Rossi Heritage model .357 Magnum lever action.  

It's a never ending pursuit of the right tool.  I've been hunting 48 seasons come October 2018 and I'm still not sure I'm set up right yet.  Sure is fun working on the goal though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After hunting deer with the M1 Carbine, I used a friends Ruger .44 Carbine (the older style) and took one buck with it ( at only 5 yards too ).  That got me hankering for a .44 magnum carbine, but I didn't care too much for the Ruger.  Mainly because it only held a few rounds and was quite fat and heavy for a carbine.  It was then that I decide to get a Marlin .44 magnum lever action carbine.  Now that is a really nice little carbine for deer hunting.

Today I have decided my lightweight carbine needs are satisfied with my little Rossi Heritage model .357 Magnum lever action.  

It's a never ending pursuit of the right tool.  I've been hunting 48 seasons come October 2018 and I'm still not sure I'm set up right yet.  Sure is fun working on the goal though.

42185bfdf97e1903f750f1a880f09d00.jpg&key=67673f303ff44ecff1ec196c01578040db181aff0fd89c76abdcffd4133811ff

You sound like me, pistol cartridge carbines are contagious, this is an old pic I now have another auto and a couple more levers and a new stainless Marlin is on order. I just hope it's not junk like most of the other new Marlins I have saw.

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the deer will be close, a little carbine is what fills the need for me.  I still hunt with the Kimber 7mm-08 most of the time, but close range hunting is still a lot of fun too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rattler....You have hunted 48 seasons  ?   Same as me....You OLD FART  !!....Hehehehe...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Rattler....You have hunted 48 seasons  ?   Same as me....You OLD FART  !!....Hehehehe...

Yep.  Still have my card from my hunter safety class which I took in October 1970.  So this October will be 48 seasons.  I'm 62 now, but physically still feel like 42.  One of my favorite sayings is, "God does not subtract from your allotted life hours, those spent hunting and fishing."  That's why we should all do as much of it as we can.  ;)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rattler said:

Yep.  Still have my card from my hunter safety class which I took in October 1970.  So this October will be 48 seasons.  I'm 62 now, but physically still feel like 42.  One of my favorite sayings is, "God does not subtract from your allotted life hours, those spent hunting and fishing."  That's why we should all do as much of it as we can.  ;)

 

Maybe I miscounted....I took my hunter safety class in 1962 and got my first small game license in 1964 and my first deer license in 1966....I'll be 68 in March, and WISH the hell I felt as fit as I did at 48... At 48 I was still carrying heavy loads of moose, caribou, elk and mule deer on my back over rough terrain...About 10 years ago I went through some major life changes  and  I ain't the hombre I used to be...I can still get  to the top of the mountain, but it takes me longer, and if I kill something, I'll probably need a little help to get it home....<<sigh>>.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rattler said:

Yep.  Still have my card from my hunter safety class which I took in October 1970.  So this October will be 48 seasons.  I'm 62 now, but physically still feel like 42.  One of my favorite sayings is, "God does not subtract from your allotted life hours, those spent hunting and fishing."  That's why we should all do as much of it as we can.  ;)

 

I have that saying on my daily "to do" list at work.   

With..." It wouldn't change the course of fate if cutting the grass just has to wait"- Toby Keith.  

And " trout do not rise in the cemetery so fish while your still able" - sparse grey hackle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"  If you want to do anything and can afford it, do it while you can, because you never know".... Dolly, Pygmy's Mom after Pygmy's Dad  had a debilitating stroke one month after he retired....  Dad seldom took time for himself and was always planning to take more time to enjoy himself after he retired...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

"  If you want to do anything and can afford it, do it while you can, because you never know".... Dolly, Pygmy's Mom after Pygmy's Dad  had a debilitating stroke one month after he retired....  Dad seldom took time for himself and was always planning to take more time to enjoy himself after he retired...

couldnt agree more.  My Dad passed one month before he was gonna retire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pygmy, I count 54 seasons coming up this year since you got your first small game license.  I'm just a kid compared to you.  ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Pygmy, I count 54 seasons coming up this year since you got your first small game license.  I'm just a kid compared to you.  ;) 

Hehehehehe...Seems like most EVERYBODY is a kid compared to me anymore. including my doctor....

Reminds me a George Burns quote...." An interviewer asked him what his doctor thought about his drinking and smoking...

George said  " My doctor's DEAD"....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.