Turkey calls

Just Lucky

Favorite... Hmm. I pack a pile when I head out but the one that seems to work the best is a diaphragm called "raspy old hen". It's my go to call if I have a hung up bird, or if I need one to sound off to locate after he's off the roost.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Favorite... Hmm. I pack a pile when I head out but the one that seems to work the best is a diaphragm called "raspy old hen". It's my go to call if I have a hung up bird, or if I need one to sound off to locate after he's off the roost.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

223fa7be9a0422af3a0016db2daf52b3.jpg
I have that one and a Zinks. I suck with both lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have used the Primos "Ol' Betsy" slate call for 15 years at least.  I got it because it's cheap, but it turns out to be my absolute favorite for close in work.  A diaphragm call is nice because it's hands-free.  I favor any 2 reed call, and have used the same "Raspy Old Hen" that guys have already mentioned.  

I know a glass pot is a better choice in the rain.  I just never got one to sound right no matter what I tried.  We raised turkeys for years, and a glass always sounded to sharp to my ears.  

• Like 2

I've had numerous slate calls, from homemade, expensive & cheapo, slate to glass using various strikers. Just can't seem to master them!

What I carry is a couple of box calls, either for short or long range calling, but mainly locating. Can even get a 1/2 a$$ gobble out of one box I have. When a gobbler is coming in, I'm more concerned with being ready, gun shouldered, scanning the brush/woods, diaphragm call goes in my mouth and won't be making any other unnecessary movements with box/slate calls. FYI - NOT putting diaphragm call where other member suggested putting it! :this:

JMO, a lot of hunters don't use diaphragm calls because they don't take the time to experiment with properly fitting it to the roof of their mouth. One size fits all, out of the box diaphragm calls will not fit all mouths! Trim & bend as needed, be surprised at the difference it'll make!

Back to the OP - Tons of different models/mfgers of box, friction, tube, diaphragm, shock, locating, blah, blah calls, so it becomes a personal preference. Your favorite is the one you've killed numerous Toms with, may not be mine! Maybe that's why they make those turkey hunting vests with so many pockets...?

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, reeltime said:

my burrville bomber!

My current go-to call is a result of our membership in the old forum too, Lee...

It's a custom box made by Bob Harwell in South Carolina... Black walnut striker and butternut sides..SWEET !!

I have 14 box calls, half a dozen pot calls and a whole drawer full of diaphragms,  but the last few years I have used that Harwell box pretty much exclusively...

I like to let out a good turkey yell with my regular voice. I start practicing when I get an elbow in the back, in the middle of the night from the misses, usually about March. I take a good box, slate, crow, and peacock call. Any one might work a  particular day; and then again maybe none.  Their is always blow on a  piece of grass, between the fingers to fall back on.

• Like 1