Can you frost seed now?

Definitely hold off. You can do it anywhere from late Feb.. through Early April(temperature depending) Clovers are a hard seed and may hold up but, i wouldn't waste seed by chancing it. That is a lot of time the birds could be picking your seed as well if its exposed.. 

I  have frost seeded acres of red clover, trefoil, and other legumes for 45 years now. Never tried in January though;  because the snow pack is usually to deep to walk through. Oils coat the seed which will protect it.  I know for a fact February works fine. I'll be seeding winter wheat with a mix of above said seeds, oh 5, 6 acres or so for hay and deer forage. 

3 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I  have frost seeded acres of red clover, trefoil, and other legumes for 45 years now. Never tried in January though;  because the snow pack is usually to deep to walk through. Oils coat the seed which will protect it.  I know for a fact February works fine. I'll be seeding winter wheat with a mix of above said seeds, oh 5, 6 acres or so for hay and deer forage. 

When do you plan on seeding your grains? in February? OR when temps rise early spring? JC, Thanks.

I've done January before.  It does survive, but not ideal.

I too have a cabin by old forge area.  I did it up there.  It's a small area I was adding.  I do very small plots just to get a good camera background on trail camera.  

I did it during that mild winter 2 years ago.

I did it because I was there at the time.

Germination didn't look good and I sprayed and reseed that summer.

These spots are like campsite sozed, so I'm not loosing much in seed.

Did ladino, red, Dutch blend.  All types were seen.  I diluted I'm the seed in pelletized lime to spread more evenly.

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

When do you plan on seeding your grains? in February? OR when temps rise early spring? JC, Thanks.

Thanks for asking! ; LOL, I always seem to get on the field when their good and muddy. If the winters lighter in the second half, I plan on seeding before maple season starts and the surface is free of snow. I don't care for April frost seeding, the past winters we have been having. 

• Like 1

I want to incorporate a bunch of spring grain for termination purposes with my no till methods. Was thinking of spreading grain seed in April when the weather seemed best. But id imagine the birds will pick a lot of it if it slaying on top of the soil. Also figured the snow would rot the small grain seed ?? 

I don't think I would start planting or sowing any seeds now/but spray/fertilizer is not a bad thing to do between snow/thaw/more snow on top. When    the melting in the spring comes and grasses start growing you will see a big change from seasons past

16 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I want to incorporate a bunch of spring grain for termination purposes with my no till methods. Was thinking of spreading grain seed in April when the weather seemed best. But id imagine the birds will pick a lot of it if it slaying on top of the soil. Also figured the snow would rot the small grain seed ?? 

Grain crops need a 60 degree of higher soil temperature for good germination. Keep that in mind when planting.  When I think of notill, The use of a heavy disc style planter seeded directly into the soil without cultivation . I use it in certain applications, like wheat or radish after spring oat planting. 

I don't plan to feed with the grains, but i could, I may do a mix of them all depending on price and availability.  i like wheat or rye because its taller, stronger. Would act more as a barrier for keeping moisture in and sunlight away from the soil. 

Spraying GLY is ineffective until temps stay above 60F and what your spraying is "actively" growing. 

My no till is just a method. No planter of any sort. Just the use of terminating a cover crop, and rolling that over a broadcast seed(soybeans for summer or a fall crop) to act as a mulch, to aid in germination and retaining moisture within the soil.