Trophy---CNN film--Sunday 9pm

Yikes, I'm a little nervous as to how this film is going to portray Hunters , I'm sure we'll be made out to be terrible people. I'm just hoping there's a healthy debate and the facts are put out there correctly, I can just hear it now from the anti-hunting community....

Yikes, I'm a little nervous as to how this film is going to portray Hunters , I'm sure we'll be made out to be terrible people. I'm just hoping there's a healthy debate and the facts are put out there correctly, I can just hear it now from the anti-hunting community....
From CNN I would expect nothing other than a highly edited extremely biased version of the movie

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

From CNN I would expect nothing other than a highly edited extremely biased version of the movie

CNN produced the movie and it is, by all accounts, a fair and balanced look at the issue. I doubt they will alter the award-winning and much-discussed movie they funded.  

21 hours ago, Drew2255 said:

Got to watch that , but I already know what to expect  anyone who  likes  guns likes  hunting the left hates that is there target audience tree hugging leftist   .

It will be a miracle if they filmed  it with out being biased  against hunting. 

Edited by Storm914

Layered, thoughtful and infinitely curious, “Trophy” is shot so simply and beautifully, and with such nonjudgmental calm, that it’s easy to miss the ingenuity of its construction. Intervening solely to offer the occasional devastating statistic, the filmmakers allow our perceptions to shift and slide with each new piece of information. Here, canny businessman and genuine animal lover share the same skin, and a high-end safari outfitter is no less concerned for his beasts than the most vehement anti-hunting activist.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/movies/trophy-review.html?referrer=google_kp&mtrref=www.google.com

My guess is that if you go in with a chip-on-your-shoulder bias it will reaffirm what you believe. 

• Like 1

Layered, thoughtful and infinitely curious, “Trophy” is shot so simply and beautifully, and with such nonjudgmental calm, that it’s easy to miss the ingenuity of its construction. Intervening solely to offer the occasional devastating statistic, the filmmakers allow our perceptions to shift and slide with each new piece of information. Here, canny businessman and genuine animal lover share the same skin, and a high-end safari outfitter is no less concerned for his beasts than the most vehement anti-hunting activist.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/movies/trophy-review.html?referrer=google_kp&mtrref=www.google.com
My guess is that if you go in with a chip-on-your-shoulder bias it will reaffirm what you believe. 

Really well-written(NYT is definitely well-written) article/promo for the documentary.
Very true statement by left field as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

Really well-written(NYT is definitely well-written) article/promo for the documentary.
Very true statement by left field as well.

A man by the name of Walter Durante did extensive reporting from Russia for the NYT in the 1930's. He called it the worker's paradise and the goal that every country should seek. The epitome of civilization.

He left out the part where Stalin was killing tens of millions of his own citizens for political purposes. Walter Durante received a Pulitzer prize for his blatant lies as reported in the NYT.

The NYT hasn't changed. Be very careful about believing anything coming from the NYT.

Rant over.

I don't "trophy hunt" and I have no interest in what reporters think about how I put food on my table.

• Like 2

A man by the name of Walter Durante did extensive reporting from Russia for the NYT in the 1930's. He called it the worker's paradise and the goal that every country should seek. The epitome of civilization.
He left out the part where Stalin was killing tens of millions of his own citizens for political purposes. Walter Durante received a Pulitzer prize for his blatant lies as reported in the NYT.
The NYT hasn't changed. Be very careful about believing anything coming from the NYT.
Rant over.
 I don't "trophy hunt" and I have no interest in what reporters think about how I put food on my table.

Oh please don’t misunderstand my post. I said it was well-written(aka an enjoyable read, clean, clear sentences, etc). I know their slant but can enjoy “the read” even if I don’t trust the slant. I’m an English teacher so reading good writing (ESPECIALLY FROM THIS FORUM—-hahha- JK-love you guys and girls!) is enjoyable regardless of the rhetoric.

• Like 1

Interesting that there were so many posts about this show before it aired, but none after. I saw only a few minutes of it and thought it seemed fair. I didn't get the impression that they were equating 'trophy hunting' with the type of hunting that most of us do on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Interesting that there were so many posts about this show before it aired, but none after. I saw only a few minutes of it and thought it seemed fair. I didn't get the impression that they were equating 'trophy hunting' with the type of hunting that most of us do on a regular basis. 

If you frequented other forums on the site you would have noticed this . Remarks after the show was aired .

Okay so I watched about 20 mins as I was exhausted from work and fell asleep, my thoughts from what I watched was that I was happy to see them address the large negative impact poaching is having on rhinos and elephants and how there is a huge demand on the black market for their tusk..... only part I got annoyed with was the way the guy was going about hunting the crocodile, just seemed like an idiot and didn't represent hunting appropriately with a few remarks he made, "Cecil the lion remark" I definitely  will watch the remainder of it when I have a day off this week....

• Like 1

I've watched an hour and a half of it before passing out.  Planning on finishing it tonight.  I'm up to where they're about to debate.

I agree with most here.  Did a good job in some areas and bad in others.

Bad:

1. Opening the scene with the kid shooting a deer at a feeder then having to have the dad finish it off.

2. The crocodile hunter who was a complete douche bag.

3. Some of the blatant remarks at the safari club.

4. Glass celebrating while the elephant laid there dying.  Could have at least waiting till it completely expired.

Good:

1. Getting the locals perspective about the nuisance lion.

2. Having the locals share the meat of the elephant and some even remarking that it wasn't enough meat.

3. The breeder crying.

4. The rhino breeders struggle with poachers and then getting into that heated argument when a few of his rhino's were poached.

• Like 1

Okay so I watched about 20 mins as I was exhausted from work and fell asleep, my thoughts from what I watched was that I was happy to see them address the large negative impact poaching is having on rhinos and elephants and how there is a huge demand on the black market for their tusk..... only part I got annoyed with was the way the guy was going about hunting the crocodile, just seemed like an idiot and didn't represent hunting appropriately with a few remarks he made, "Cecil the lion remark" I definitely  will watch the remainder of it when I have a day off this week....
That guy was a huge tool douchebag that is all he is and ever will be

• Like 1

I've watched an hour and a half of it before passing out.  Planning on finishing it tonight.  I'm up to where they're about to debate.
I agree with most here.  Did a good job in some areas and bad in others.
Bad:
1. Opening the scene with the kid shooting a deer at a feeder then having to have the dad finish it off.
2. The crocodile hunter who was a complete douche bag.
3. Some of the blatant remarks at the safari club.
4. Glass celebrating while the elephant laid there dying.  Could have at least waiting till it completely expired.
Good:
1. Getting the locals perspective about the nuisance lion.
2. Having the locals share the meat of the elephant and some even remarking that it wasn't enough meat.
3. The breeder crying.
4. The rhino breeders struggle with poachers and then getting into that heated argument when a few of his rhino's were poached.
The dad didnt finish the deer off he shot a spike

Finally saw the end.  During the debate, they showed only two audience members during I guess was a Q&A and they were both hard core anti's.  Were there not a single pro-hunter in the crowd?  I think the producer did a wonderful job keeping the film neutral even if he was very anti-hunting but I still think there were times his liberal views bled into the film here and there.

I've watched several such documentaries already and I wonder why they always find the more obnoxious hunters to film?  Glass did a wonderful job in comparison to some of the others I've watch.  How come they never interview an articulate ambassador such as Steve Rinella or Randy Newberg?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Elmo said:

How come they never interview an articulate ambassador such as Steve Rinella or Randy Newberg?

couldn't agree more. I initially thought this show was about hunting in general and it's very clearly about hunting in africa and even more specifically south africa. I'm not sure steve is the after the big 5, but yeah his way of articulating why he hunts is unmatched. 

If you read the how this came together you can see that they did little research and just lucked into Glass. Like many documentaries, you have limited resources and go where the subjects take you, so it may be a little unfair to say they didn't include certain people or type. 

I watched a debate last year about whether hunting conserves wildlife ( https://www.intelligencesquaredus.org/debates/hunters-conserve-wildlife ) and as I recall the majority of the audience is anti-hunting. No way around that.

Sadly, I think there may be a few more of those croc shooter guys than anyone wants to admit. 

Edited by left field

One of the common arguments to the African model of conservation is the corruption in the government resulting in a lot of the money not actually going towards conservation therefor hunting should be banned.  That is a flawed logic.  That's like saying dieting doesn't work because you keep sneaking a slice of chocolate cake at night when no one is looking so you should just give up dieting altogether.

• Like 1