Ever fish a bass tournament?

Robhuntandfish

I used to be member of a local bass fishing tourney club.  It was ok, but didn't like a lot of things about it.  They used to switch locations too much or schedule a tourney for a long ways aways, then if only a few people signed up they would change it to a local spot and didn't tell everyo e else.  

I got 4th a couple of times and my buddy a non boater got big bass once.  But you had to take a non boater with you that wasn't ypur choice.  Which wasn't too bad but my buddy the non boater got stuck with a couple of real tools.  

My biggest dislike was just it wasn't as enjoyable as just a day fishing so I stopped going.  Some days youd be bass fishing and catching walleye and i just  wanted to still fish for them!  Lol

Had a couple great days on Delta and the canal in those tourneys where I caught a LOT of bass, it was some fun but fishing these days is more about relaxing.  

They fish Lake Erie in bass tourney's a few times a year   My buddy has a sweet Nitro bass boat he's taken my daughter and I out on a few times. That guy can catch fish   I fish the same exact way as he and he catches all the fish. He catches 30,40  good to big bass when it's going good. Keep telling him he should get in on the tournaments and I'd be "net man" as that's all I'm good for anyhow.

• Like 1

There were 2 tourneys going on at the same time on Delta lake. I was off this point and caught like 25 smallies in the same spot one after another.  Problem was I wasnt culling any cause they were all the same size.  I did get 4th that day but shouldve moved to find some larger bass.  But man they were hitting.  Caught at least 40 that day but not the biggest 5.  

They also used to have a bunch of oneida lake tourneys but I get scared off that lake a lot.  It sure gets rough out there.  I fish mostly oneida as I live right there but I get off when the wind comes up. 

Fished a local one day tournament one time where you could fish anywhere in 24 hours just had to bring on bass.  Well me and two other guys went to lake the weekend before and just tore em up.  Caught like 50 largemouth and some real nice ones.  It was like an hour and a half drive.  So we entered the tourney and went to that lake.  And of course lol caught 2 damn bass all day but we caught 6 tiger muskies .   Lol great day of fishing one way or the other and we had a great time, but go figure.  

A friend of mine from a few years ago got on one of the tournament's on the st Lawrence with the big pros as a non boater.  He said it was amazing.  The pro strapped down all his gear cause they went 70 mph everywhere.  He said his back was tore up at the end of the day.  He caught 3 nice smallies and his biggest was bigger than the pros biggest that day.  But he said the same thing the guy casted 3/1 on him and caught 10/1 .   He said the pro was a great guy , even offered him some of his tackle to use.  He said he was real specific not to cast up to his end of the boat but otherwise even helped him to land fish. 

18 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

Never have but over the last few years have been wanting to try one just to see what it's like.

Check out net for local clubs and a lot of times they are more than willing to let you come and try one out.  A lot of them they don't even ask you to pay full entry or membership the first time so that you can see what they are like.  Try one as a non boater to check it out.  They can be fun for sure.  Just gotta take it as fun and not too serious.  Just like anything, golfing with the guy that throws his clubs isn't fun.  Same for the tournament's.  

• Like 1

I use to fish a lot of the lake Ontario tourneys for trout & salmon & the Southtown walleye tourney for many yrs. We never won 1st place but did get close a few times.  We did win big fish of the day a few times. My buddy that I fished with yrs. ago did take 1st place a few times & won over $40,000 & a boat through the yrs. but I was not on his crew at those times, (he always said I was bad luck) lol.  Now I fish for myself & friends mostly lake trout,  salmon & walleyes. We also fish the lower Niagara river.

• Like 1

Local bass clubs are typically very welcoming. About 13 or so years ago a stranger invited me to a Rochester Bassmaster meeting to check it out and man I’m glad I did. Most of us think we are pretty good bass fisherman going in but what I learned from these guys is amazing. You don’t need to own a boat to fish tournaments and you get to ride with some experienced guys typically with some real nice rigs. Typically 2 meetings a month where there are speakers to cover bass related topics- for example the next meeting a speaker will discuss likely tactics to be successful on each lake we visit this year. Look up your local clubs and if you are anywhere near Rochester go to www.rochesterbasasters.com. Adding a little competition to your fishing sure is addicting! 

• Like 1

20170630_122731.thumb.jpg.753d5dec1b3f6ca1c53aae2e66a05861.jpgI have fished local bass tourneys, and a few down south, mostly in SC, on and off for over 35 years. Collected a few wins along the way.  Caught my biggest NY bass 7lbs 3oz in a tourney on Saratoga lake. Fished with Roland Martin a couple of times. I've had a lot of fun, and met some real good guys along the way. Also a few real dinks, and I don't mean fish! Still fish an occasional tournament now and then. Mostly when someone needs a partner or if someone wants to fish one, to see what they are like. And I still can ride home with a little extra cash in my pocket,  if I  get lucky.

Mostly now, my best days fishing, are spent with my grandsons or people who don't get a chance to get out on a boat much. And sometimes I just go solo, for a bit of R&R.

20170611_180720.jpg

20160615_074302.jpg

20160615_072444.jpg20170628_134434.thumb.jpg.b29d6b2278311302f4ca8f5c0a70bab4.jpg

Edited by grampy
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Fished a bunch when I was younger, don't really enjoy bass fishing very often anymore. The tournaments were fun but often ruined by a few A-holes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At just about every tourney I've ever fished, there was ALWAYS, at least one A-hole, complaining about something or someone. And MOST times, because HE couldn't admit to himself, that HE just didn't fish well enough that day. Most times it's always the same ones, unless they cash, then everything is fine! Seen guys caught cheating, then lie on top of it. The few times I was paired up with a Pro, during BASS Federation tournaments, those guys were always pretty cool. But, I've heard stories of it being a nightmare too, won't mention names, but they would be recognizable.  I always did it just for fun!  And I do enjoy the competitive side of it. But mostly to become a better angler myself. I learned alot from guy's who were much better than me. Things I'd have never learned on my own. And I always try to help others on and off the water when I can. My best advice to fish a bass tournament?  Just shut up and fish!

• Like 3