Scary stuff ducking hunting.

mlammerhirt

Would love to duck hunt, and I know there are other ways of going about it. But that is one huge fear, tipping over in ice cold water.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

late season duck hunting can be a ton of fun BUT you need to be aware of your surroundings and keep safety as priority #1.

With the ice, recent warm up and rain being in a stream hunting today is or could be a recipe for disaster. 

I have seen a lot in 40 years of chasing ducks up to and including rescues and recoveries.   the most common thing I see is peoples lack of respect for water. water is the most powerful element on the planet in any form (as liquid, ice,  or steam)  they don't respect the power, the force, or the temperature, nor do they know how to read the currents of the water. 

The second most common thing I see is lack of an adequate boat, equipment and general  boating knowledge, its amazing how many people have no concept of a boats stability, and or load capacity.  Canoes like the one in that story are notorious for tipping and would never be my choice of a duck hunting boat in any kind of water. about the only thing that canoe would be used for might be to haul decoys.

I talk to folks every year about boat safety when I see them at the ramp with a boat way under sized for where they are hunting.  I try to tell them that this body of water is not to be taken lightly and with the ice water and cold temps safety needs to be kept priority #1.  and generally there are few if any other boats around, so there will be no one to come help you if you get in trouble or at least not in a real timely fashion and in ice water time is everything.

• Like 3