Venison Italian Sausage

nycredneck

Couple more thoughts about my poor sausage performance.
Directions with the grinder says to use the largest plate (looks like 3 bean-shaped holes)WITHOUT a cutting blade when stuffing casings. Is that what you all do when using a grinder to stuff?
I also think I used the medium size plastic tube and not the large tube as I replay what I did. I ground the meat using the plate that looks like a wagon wheel, mixed it all with spices, left in fridge for 24 hours and sent it through the large plate(no cutter) to the medium plastic tube.

I want to figure this out but can’t keep “wasting” good venison on shitty results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Directions with the grinder says to use the largest plate (looks like 3 bean-shaped holes)WITHOUT a cutting blade when stuffing casings. Is that what you all do when using a grinder to stuff?
I also think I used the medium size plastic tube and not the large tube as I replay what I did. I ground the meat using the plate that looks like a wagon wheel, mixed it all with spices, left in fridge for 24 hours and sent it through the large plate(no cutter) to the medium plastic tube.

I want to figure this out but can’t keep “wasting” good venison on shitty results

Could you post a picture of the plates and blades you are using? I'm not clear on your descriptions.

Could you post a picture of the plates and blades you are using? I'm not clear on your descriptions.

8e8d3196e1a7e29ea908beb1c70da39b.jpg

Largest hole plate I use for chop meat.
Wagon wheel in the middle I used to grind the meat and fat
Bean-like plate on the bottom I used without a cutter with the plastic stuffing tube

59 minutes ago, crappyice said:

8e8d3196e1a7e29ea908beb1c70da39b.jpg

Largest hole plate I use for chop meat.
Wagon wheel in the middle I used to grind the meat and fat
Bean-like plate on the bottom I used without a cutter with the plastic stuffing tube

interesting, I've never seen plates like that before (wagon wheel and kidney bean) I woudn't think that the wagon wheel would work with the cutting blade. If it does, maybe do first pass with the wagon wheel with blade, and then the second pass with holes plate with blade. One pass with the wagon wheel with blade won't get the meat ground enough, I don't think.

With mine, I have a 3-legged flat star blade when I am stuffing, not a kidney bean plate

i have hot and sweet italian in the fridge.  this year i left most in bulk casings i got where a real pain the in *&* and just too big.  if i put it in casings i usually have a guy i know do it for me with the right equipment.  i've been looking into stuffers a little. haven't gotten one so haven't ground venison with pork fat only here. ground together and then put in a mixer with a little water and the seasonings. i forget the ratio of fat to meat. i'm not the master mind behind it.

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Get a stuffer, you wont regret it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Come on man..throwing moe money at the problem is not the answer!

Do you use a hammer to put in screws? Yes a grinder will do the job but no way it will do it like a stuffer. We tried. It is night and day.  If you are going to stuff with a grinder then I suggest gettign a foot operated switch. Handling the casings and not getting air bubbles in there is a two hand operation and then there is feeding the grinder. 

Also on our Italian sausage we don't even use casings anymore. We use 11" vacuum seal bags that are cut to about a foot long. Ad a little over a pound to each bag and seal. Then press flat so it is about a 1 foot square and about a half inch thick. Thaws quickly and then cut into quarters and grill like a hamburger. It is MUCH nicer having onions and peppers on a hamburger style bun rather than a hot dog style bun.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...