AWD vs 4WD

Paula

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I pretty much agree with what others have said. We have had both AWD and 4WD vehicles. I will add that in a comparable vehicle the 4WD will get better gas mileage when NOT in 4WD than the AWD drive model will in normal operation. Like on dry roads or Spring Summer and Fall driving. The Engine is turning more on a constant basis in an AWD model. 

I get what you're saying, but do you have a 4WD that gets 32MPG in 2WD?  My girlfriend's AWD Subaru gets between 25 and 32MPG.  That's not a claim from the manufacturer.  We have checked it ourselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stubborn1VT said:

I get what you're saying, but do you have a 4WD that gets 32MPG in 2WD?  My girlfriend's AWD Subaru gets between 25 and 32MPG.  That's not a claim from the manufacturer.  We have checked it ourselves.

I was talking about comparable vehicles. If you took a 4WD Jeep and an AWD jeep the 4WD would get better milage while in 2WD. 

• Like 1

the one thing you need to think about is ground clearance, awd will not do you a bit of good if the vehicle gets high centered. if you are dead set on awd then maybe you should be looking at  something that has the ground clearance similar to your jeep. 

One thing to remember with all these vehicles is that they all stop the same way as any 2 wheel drive vehicle. They can get you going a lot faster than their ability to stop just like 2WD.

Also, we use to have a saying that 4WD allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places .... lol. I suppose that still applies with today's vehicles too.

One thing to remember about an AWD vehicle is that you absolutely have to replace all 4 tires at the same time. If you are a bit worn down on your tires, and you blow one, you have to replace all 4, even if the other 3 are in good shape. If you dont do all 4, you will tear the transfer case apart after a while. Take a look at some of the Jeeps, they have an option for AWD for bad road conditions that can be switched to 4wd when going off road. Its called Quadra-Drive or Quadra-Trac, something like that.

Personally, Id just fix up the old Cherokee and keep it going. The 4.0 inline 6 is probably one of the most reliable engines ever built by any company. The transfer case and transmission are bullet proof in those trucks, and the 8.25 or Dana axles that came in them...forgetaboutit. Awesome trucks, Id actually love to pick one up for a daily driver.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paula said:

I am checking out vehicles and i want 4WD. I have also tested AWD. Are they the same, is one better than the other?

Unless you are planning on off-roading, you do not need 4wd. I live in Ski Country and AWD combined with good snow tires does an excellent job

I currently drive an AWD Chevy equinox. It drives better and more comfortably than the Subaru Outback I had before. Plus it doesn't burn oil like Subarus + the payments were a lot less each month

Edited by Papist

Stay with FWD and slow down.  Enjoy the fuel economy savings. Their are limitations to 4WD and AWD  vehicles as I witnessed coming home during the last whiteout from Rochester on the 513, Saturday after Christmas.
In the end the saving can't be a ton? Maybe a couple hundred bucks over a 12 month period?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a Jeep Cherokee now, its oolldd. I need about the same because i use tractor roads and such. I never considered a pick up because of the dogs.
I just have in my head all the good i heard about Subarus and AWD but am worried if it could handle it. One place i go now is pretty rough for my 4WD.
I think i just answered my question, :good:

Depending on the shape of those tractors roads depends on if you can get away with AWD. in our house we have an AWD SUV and a 4wd pickup truck. The AWD SUV will handle almost any amount of snow you can throw at in including the snow plow buildup at the end of the driveway. The AWD SUV also handles very well on the road in the snow. The only noticeable difference between that and the pickup is the fact that it’s lighter in weight so when you hit slush on the road it does gets tossed abound a bit but nothing concerning. We have never had the AWD SUV in any off road situation so I don’t know how well it will do in mud.

As far as MPG’s go yes the AWD will get less than if it was 2wd but only by 2-3 mpg. Our last 2 AWD SUV’s got 25 mpg. Far better than my pickup truck in 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

An AWD like the explorer is front wheel drive until you need the back tires to drive , i think most awd vehicles do the same.

Usually about a 60/40 split. Rear wheel drive handles better than front wheel drive that is why they do that. Older all wheel drive where rear bias as newer ones are more front but they are awd always unless there is a function to turn off. 

1 hour ago, Just Lucky said:

Usually about a 60/40 split. Rear wheel drive handles better than front wheel drive that is why they do that. Older all wheel drive where rear bias as newer ones are more front but they are awd always unless there is a function to turn off. 

The ford definitely is front wheel drive until there is slippage detected. I'm not sure about the others. 

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

One thing to remember about an AWD vehicle is that you absolutely have to replace all 4 tires at the same time. If you are a bit worn down on your tires, and you blow one, you have to replace all 4, even if the other 3 are in good shape. If you dont do all 4, you will tear the transfer case apart after a while. Take a look at some of the Jeeps, they have an option for AWD for bad road conditions that can be switched to 4wd when going off road. Its called Quadra-Drive or Quadra-Trac, something like that.

I've never had an issue with only needing two. (short of a blow out). Proper rotation will relieve that . I'd bet that tire pressure would effect more people than the mismatch on the tires. I think they allow 3/32 for any mismatch. That is quite a bit of tread actually. 

• Like 1

LOL, a couple hundred bucks is a lot of money to me.
Then you can use that couple hundred when you need to be towed out...lol...

She said some of the roads she travels are even tough on her current 4wd.....I am guessing if she goes with an AWD and in turn that has less ground clearance she will bottom out be get stuck.

Not that i wouldn't rather have a couple hundred in my pocket.....but in the end not worth the savings in fuel economy.... in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've never had an issue with only needing two. (short of a blow out). Proper rotation will relieve that . I'd bet that tire pressure would effect more people than the mismatch on the tires. I think they allow 3/32 for any mismatch. That is quite a bit of tread actually. 

Awd have viscous couplers usually. Anything more than quarter inch in circumference of the wheel will heat the fluid or clutches and cause premature wear and chattering when turning.

2 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Awd have viscous couplers usually. Anything more than quarter inch in circumference of the wheel will heat the fluid or clutches and cause premature wear and chattering when turning.

That would be consistent with the 3/32" then, right? If the reduction was on both sides of the wheel then the recommended max of 3/16" (3/32" on each side) would be under that.