AWD vs 4WD

Paula

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:
8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That would be consistent with the 3/32" then, right? If the reduction was on both sides of the wheel then the recommended max of 3/16" (3/32" on each side) would be under that. 

Not sure, I believe tread depth would depend on tire size. I have always ran a string around tire then measured length, thats how measuring circumference of tires was taught to me.

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've never had an issue with only needing two. (short of a blow out). Proper rotation will relieve that . I'd bet that tire pressure would effect more people than the mismatch on the tires. I think they allow 3/32 for any mismatch. That is quite a bit of tread actually. 

Ive been told multiple times by our shop techs and trainers that it is not good for the transfer case. We dont chance it with my girfriends Subby

On 1/14/2018 at 8:44 PM, Paula said:

I need 4wd some days to make it in and out of my driveway. 

Out of the vehicles I have tested I like a AWD.

Subaru is not in my budget. I asked a stranger at the store about  his Outback, he loves it and likes the gas mileage but would never feel comfortable going off road with it. 

Tomorrow I am checking out a few more 4wd

I have a Subaru awd and I go all over in it.. it has the best awd  system and has it heavily pattented. I would buy all wheel.over 4 wheel for 99% of all driving..neck I go places in a 2 wheel drive most.guys cant take a 4 wheel. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Then you can use that couple hundred when you need to be towed out...lol...

She said some of the roads she travels are even tough on her current 4wd.....I am guessing if she goes with an AWD and in turn that has less ground clearance she will bottom out be get stuck.

Not that i wouldn't rather have a couple hundred in my pocket.....but in the end not worth the savings in fuel economy.... in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I carry a "good" metal shovel in all the vehicles just in case, LOL.  

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have a Subaru awd and I go all over in it.. it has the best awd  system and has it heavily pattented. I would buy all wheel.over 4 wheel for 99% of all driving..neck I go places in a 2 wheel drive most.guys cant take a 4 wheel. 

A family member has a Outback AWD and loves it. Getting 29 city MPG. Handles great. Terrific dependability. Only drawback was he had to pay few thousand more.

Honestly wouldn't consider anything but a pickup truck, the option of switching from 2wd to 4wd is great, and for the outdoors lifestyle just fits in perfectly. Ive always had some interest in the Subarus though, must be with their marketing strategy, commercials are always in the great outdoors hahaha!!!

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

780 hp motor is in bed.. reverse transfer case 40 ton front axle and 45 ton rear..plenary gear system.. nitrogen shocks for custom lift and ride.. 54000. And it's yours.

40 and 45 ton axles? They look like Dana 80s with gussets welded on them. That would maybe make them 2 1/2 ton. Im actually surprised it doesnt have Rockwell top loaders on it.

Wife has a Outback,I believe its her  4th one.I have always put snow tires on all the way around, the car will basically go anywhere and it handles like a dream in the snow and ice.I have had Super Duty/Ford P/U 's since 1973,and  I would prefer to drive the Outback in almost all weather conditions.

19 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

40 and 45 ton axles? They look like Dana 80s with gussets welded on them. That would maybe make them 2 1/2 ton. Im actually surprised it doesnt have Rockwell top loaders on it.

Military axles 9 gear plenary  system. Rims custom made..  bought them off auction in new jersey..still had price stickers on them 30k and 25k out of a tank retriever. .. axle shaft is 4.5 in thick. Special tool to remove hubs . Gear system is incredible.  Weakest part on whole truck is tranny.. got sick of fixing solid shafts snapping in the mud pits.. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paula said:

I might up my budget

Good choice ..my outback went thru the Erie blizzard 2x Christmas weekend.. no problems and it will still be worth more in 15 years than any other vehicle you buy

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Military axles 9 gear plenary  system. Rims custom made..  bought them off auction in new jersey..still had price stickers on them 30k and 25k out of a tank retriever. .. axle shaft is 4.5 in thick. Special tool to remove hubs . Gear system is incredible.  Weakest part on whole truck is tranny.. got sick of fixing solid shafts snapping in the mud pits.. 

Gotcha. Theres always a weak link somewhere. What trans are you running?