What's your dream outdoor trip?

Robhuntandfish

3 minutes ago, Dom said:

Was it expensive to hunt Northwest/Canada?I mostly fish while there and camp.Not much into staying at a familys/house

That was back in 1994, Dom, and it was not that exspensive, considering the quality of the hunt...The caribou hunting was incredible, out of 12 hunters in camp we took several  B&C heads  and a couple of bonus wolverines...The fishing was so good it almost became boring..The food and accomodations were great considering it was true wilderness camp...We were only 50 miles south of the Arctic circle... It was very organized..We flew into Yellowknife, spent one night and flew into camp the next day...The hunt price was around 3K,  and I think we did for around  4K door to door....Of course that was over 25 years ago and prices have skyrocketed since then...  Also, the caribou hunting  in NWT has s**t the bed since then, but I suspect the fishing is probably just as good...

17 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

That was back in 1994, Dom, and it was not that exspensive, considering the quality of the hunt...The caribou hunting was incredible, out of 12 hunters in camp we took several  B&C heads  and a couple of bonus wolverines...The fishing was so good it almost became boring..The food and accomodations were great considering it was true wilderness camp...We were only 50 miles south of the Arctic circle... It was very organized..We flew into Yellowknife, spent one night and flew into camp the next day...The hunt price was around 3K,  and I think we did for around  4K door to door....Of course that was over 25 years ago and prices have skyrocketed since then...  Also, the caribou hunting  in NWT has s**t the bed since then, but I suspect the fishing is probably just as good...

When we can the wife and myself will be just visiting/she'll will be and I will be fishing we figured about 6K round trip.

anywhere with my dad, brother, uncles, and cousins who hunt.  consume a whole lodge for a long week or more of hunting whatever big game animal.  stories always happen but since our generation has grown up and their generation gotten older.  the logistics of that happening is impossible. those experiences made me a hunter for life. it wasn't about old ways of hunting or new ways of hunting.  who's mount would get bested. it was just about as another thread put it "the journey" and anticipation.

10 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have two dream trips but they are almost the same.  Big Brook trout fishing and moose hunting in Newfoundland.  And either char or rainbows and caribou in Alaska.  Will never get to either of these but have always wanted to do something like that. Don't regret not having had the chance cause I have had a great outdoor life and experiences for sure.  But these would be the deal!

Keep the dream! Hunting Newfoundland for moose was also my dream, and three years ago I went. As far as moose hunts go, it is about as reasonable as you can get, ours was fly in, we both got one. Wonderful country, lots of moose....It is surprising where you can scavenge and save money from if you have a goal. We are returning in September. 

I never dreamed Africa could happen, until I talked with a few folks who went....you can hunt Africa plains game for about the same cost (or less...quite a bit less...) than a Newfie moose hunt. Airfare ads to it, and getting the trophies home, but by including my wife in the trip and planning, we are now planning to go to South Africa in 2020. Make it happen. We Americans throw gobs of money away. Pay attention to that, and it is amazing how much you can save up.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Whered you go? Ive gone to Gogama Lodge several times and agree, the fishing is so good youre disappointed when its time to leave the lake to hunt

I’ve  been to Quebec several times for fishing only.  Hoping to go again this summer, if anyone wants to tag along or share. July/August time frame. 

I have not selected the location yet, and would be open to a new location too. 

• Like 1

I have been fortunate to do a number of hunting trips to Alaska and Northern Canada  that also had phenomenal fishing...  One that stands out was a caribou trip to Northwest Territories  that included  incredible fishing for big pike, lakers and  grayling...We  caught 2-3 pound grayling on dry flies on nearly every cast and caught  10-15 pound lakers  in 18"  of water on streamers..
One trip that was on my bucket list, which I'll never do now is a boat hunt for Sitka Blacktails in SE Alaska..  You sleep on the boat, where you can fish,  put out crab and shrimp pots, and shoot sea ducks and then you take a skiff to shore to hunt Sitka deer, which in my opinion make the prettiest mount of any deer species  due to their beautiful capes...  They also are said to  provide the best tasting venison of any of the deer species..

I’ve looked into the boat blacktail hunts as they are actually pretty reasonable priced. My worry is getting sea sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska is #1 on my list for grizzly, blacktail deer and salmon fishing.  Eat only what I/we harvest.  My hangup has been trying to justify the $30k to $40k price tag of a guided grizzly hunt, assuming I'd even be fortunate enough to win a tag.  

• Like 1

Alaska is #1 on my list for grizzly, blacktail deer and salmon fishing.  Eat only what I/we harvest.  My hangup has been trying to justify the $30k to $40k price tag of a guided grizzly hunt, assuming I'd even be fortunate enough to win a tag.  

You can get a grizzly for under $20K. I knew a guy doing them for $10K in BC before they banned nonresidents from hunting them.

• Like 1

I want my trip to be about me and fishing! A mountain surounded lake, with a floating Canin with a deck on the end that I will fish from. serene, no rain the whole trip except a mist. There is a cabin boy who doesn’t speak but does respond quickly when I yell for a beer, when I yell fish he takes the catch off the line and baits the line again. 

Edited by Paula
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You can get a grizzly for under $20K. I knew a guy doing them for $10K in BC before they banned nonresidents from hunting them.

The non-res all-in price door-to-door can easily push over $30k, especially if you have a successful hunt.  I'd have to dig through last year's emails to find the cost breakdowns that were sent.  Deer hunts and fishing were a fraction of the grizz prices.  I'm not making any travel plans this year due to a family health issue, but 2019 for Alaskan deer and salmon is what I'm shooting for.

Here's one of the guided hunts I looked at on Kodiak Island: $24k for 2 week brown bear hunt plus tags, airfare, taxidermy (if successful), etc., etc. http://www.huntalaska.com/hunt_prices.html

Edited by Jdubs
  • Like 1

Pussy.....Hehehe.....

Yup. Nothing I can do. I get motion sick easy. When I was a kid I used to puke if I played with my toys too much riding on the bus home from school. I ride the train every day to and from work and need to look straight and can’t read, etc.

• Haha 1

The non-res all-in price door-to-door can easily push over $30k, especially if you have a successful hunt.  I'd have to dig through last year's emails to find the cost breakdowns that were sent.  Deer hunts and fishing were a fraction of the grizz prices.  I'm not making any travel plans this year due to a family health issue, but 2019 for Alaskan deer and salmon is what I'm shooting for.
Here's one of the guided hunts I looked at on Kodiak Island: $24k for 2 week brown bear hunt plus tags, airfare, taxidermy (if successful), etc., etc. http://www.huntalaska.com/hunt_prices.html

Oh they definitely can be. I’m just saying there are ways to get a grizzly for under $20K

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Oh they definitely can be. I’m just saying there are ways to get a grizzly for under $20K

Hey Biz, you might know this: What would it cost to have a brown bear done by a taxidermist in AK then shipped back to NY?  

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup. Nothing I can do. I get motion sick easy. When I was a kid I used to puke if I played with my toys too much riding on the bus home from school. I ride the train every day to and from work and need to look straight and can’t read, etc.

Just raggin' on ya, Biz....I have a buddy who gets sick fishing on the Finger Lakes...Never been affected myself..  When I was in the Navy I felt woozy a few times but never puked...I went through a storm off Cape Hatterass in a destroyer and even the LIFERS were throwing up, but I never did...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I have been fortunate to do a number of hunting trips to Alaska and Northern Canada  that also had phenomenal fishing...  One that stands out was a caribou trip to Northwest Territories  that included  incredible fishing for big pike, lakers and  grayling...We  caught 2-3 pound grayling on dry flies on nearly every cast and caught  10-15 pound lakers  in 18"  of water on streamers..

One trip that was on my bucket list, which I'll never do now is a boat hunt for Sitka Blacktails in SE Alaska..  You sleep on the boat, where you can fish,  put out crab and shrimp pots, and shoot sea ducks and then you take a skiff to shore to hunt Sitka deer, which in my opinion make the prettiest mount of any deer species  due to their beautiful capes...  They also are said to  provide the best tasting venison of any of the deer species..

king eiders!!!   hmmmmmm. something to think about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I never dreamed Africa could happen, until I talked with a few folks who went....you can hunt Africa plains game for about the same cost (or less...quite a bit less...) than a Newfie moose hunt. Airfare ads to it, and getting the trophies home, but by including my wife in the trip and planning, we are now planning to go to South Africa in 2020. Make it happen. We Americans throw gobs of money away. Pay attention to that, and it is amazing how much you can save up.

Have fun planning. Far from an expert but have poked around SA a bit here and there and if I can lend any help I'll try. Hunted East Cape, Kwazulu Natal, Limpopo......visited J'berg, Port Elizabeth,Dulstroom,Kruger,Sabi Sands, Battlefields, Jozini Dam areas a bit before and after hunts. Haven't hit Cape Town but maybe next trip (most likely in 2020 also). Cleared my own guns, hired a service, layed over and flown on; lots of choices.

• Like 1

Haha, don't feel bad I have watched my brother puke while holding the boat on the dock while I parked the truck. After his Dramamine and a nap he is good to go but he turns green in the truck on the way to the lake. Poor bastard loves fishing but I swear he gets sea sick ice fishing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Biz, you might know this: What would it cost to have a brown bear done by a taxidermist in AK then shipped back to NY?  

Not sure. But I do think it may be cheaper to have a taxi do it out there and ship back, rather than pay all the fees to fly it back yourself and then take to taxi.

• Like 1