What's your dream outdoor trip?

Robhuntandfish

Haha, don't feel bad I have watched my brother puke while holding the boat on the dock while I parked the truck. After his Dramamine and a nap he is good to go but he turns green in the truck on the way to the lake. Poor bastard loves fishing but I swear he gets sea sick ice fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I take Dramamine when fishing on a boat or flying. I’m fine when the boat is moving. It’s when it stops and just rocks in swells. I always get sick on saltwater boats, doubt I’ll ever bother trying again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did Quebec moose/bear hunts and Colorado elk/mule deer hunts in my younger days.  They were fun, but I would not want to go again.   Quebec is too flat and bushy, and the Colorado high-desert is not all that pretty.  Moose and elk are good eating, but mule deer not so much.  These days, my dream hunt happens a few times every fall, chasing whitetails up in NY's Adirondack mountains.   I have not seen finer scenery and the whitetail deer up there are just as tasty as the corn-fed ones from around home.    

11 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Have fun planning. Far from an expert but have poked around SA a bit here and there and if I can lend any help I'll try. Hunted East Cape, Kwazulu Natal, Limpopo......visited J'berg, Port Elizabeth,Dulstroom,Kruger,Sabi Sands, Battlefields, Jozini Dam areas a bit before and after hunts. Haven't hit Cape Town but maybe next trip (most likely in 2020 also). Cleared my own guns, hired a service, layed over and flown on; lots of choices.

I cant imagine what your "dream hunt" must be.  At this point is there one?   Like hunting the Tasmanian Tiger or something......  

It would be one of the following 3:

1.  Elk in a great unit out west during the rut with the recurve;

2.  Alaskan Brown Bear with the recurve and Pygmy finishing it off after I pissed him off; or

3.  Would love to kill a Kudu with the bow.

Kinda simple and not out of the realm of possibilities I guess.

• Like 3

The elk hunt is a real possibility, but you need to start applying for tags and gathering info...A buddy of mine did a TRUE elk hunt of a lifetime in Arizona a couple of years ago...He hunted 13 days and was into record book bulls EVERY day...Killed one about  350 ish, IIRC.... Drawing an Arizona tag takes some time and effort, however...New Mexico also has some super units and tends to be a little easier drawing tags..If you want to get started researching, I have a couple of buddies that would probably share some info with you...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The elk hunt is a real possibility, but you need to start applying for tags and gathering info...A buddy of mine did a TRUE elk hunt of a lifetime in Arizona a couple of years ago...He hunted 13 days and was into record book bulls EVERY day...Killed one about  350 ish, IIRC.... Drawing an Arizona tag takes some time and effort, however...New Mexico also has some super units and tends to be a little easier drawing tags..If you want to get started researching, I have a couple of buddies that would probably share some info with you...

That would be awesome Pygmy.  The one thing that has held me back is my knee.  I was told I will need a replacement and I question whether it will hold up for a full week or more of trekking through the mountains.  Generally holds up fine for whitetails here (with some minor discomfort), but that's definitely not the same.  If I can lose 60-70lbs this year, that may change though.  I will pick your brain when I am a bit more confident on being 100% for such a hunt.  Thanks for the offer.  I will take you up on it.

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That would be awesome Pygmy.  The one thing that has held me back is my knee.  I was told I will need a replacement and I question whether it will hold up for a full week or more of trekking through the mountains.  Generally holds up fine for whitetails here (with some minor discomfort), but that's definitely not the same.  If I can lose 60-70lbs this year, that may change though.  I will pick your brain when I am a bit more confident on being 100% for such a hunt.  Thanks for the offer.  I will take you up on it.

Yeah, you definitely need to be in shape for those hunts, although the terrain in Arizona tends to be somewhat less severe in AZ or NM  than some other states, like CO or Idaho, where everything seems to be at a 45 degree incline...When you come down this spring to kill a turkey I will introduce you to a couple of guys ( both of whom have trophy rooms that will knock your socks off)  who can be a help to you....

• Like 1

I would love to get the Grand Slam of Wild Turkeys.. a time or two if possible before I kick. Especially chase some Merriam birds..

I would love to chase a nice bugling Bull with my Bow, as well as a Grizzly and a Bull Moose with my Bow. My ideal trip would be when my kids are old enough so we can enjoy this hunt together, if they have the interest when they become of age. I really enjoy giving kids the ultimate experience.   

• Like 1

I've always wondered what I'd do for hunts, if I had the time and cash. I dont think I'd do whitetail anywhere but sask. Would also like to do the hog hunt from a helicopter. One thing on my bucket list is to be in elk country halfway up a mountain and hear the early morning bugles of rutted bulls. If I had a bow in my hand even better but I have to guess that when the big boys start ripping it's gotta be a goose bumps kinda feeling. I know turkey is beyond exciting to have a conversation and successful kill on a hot Tom that you call in, I can't imagine calling in an elk to bow range. Not sure it will ever happen for me, but that's prob top of my list.

As far as the exotics from other country's.... (Unlimited funds) I'd do red stag in New Zealand, a lion with the bow in Africa, a bow moose and brown bear trip, and another bucket list would be a wolf but I'd only be 100% satisfied with a black one...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dream hunts kinda change as time and interest pass, for now I would like to do any type of remote hunting. Fly in Ptarmigan hunt would be cool. I do enjoy my time in the big woods of Maine quit a bit, but that's a reality not a dream I guess.

I would enjoy heading west on a hunting vacation, going after whatever the area has to offer, as long as its remote.

there are some great ideas here!  Its very interesting that almost all picked something based on the adventure,  and that there were hardly any whitetails in these trips.  Prob because we all get to hunt them now.  But its interesting to see so many waterfowl and gamebirds too.  We are a diverse group for sure.     

I would probably have to say Red Stag in New Zealand. Just in my opinion the most beautiful deer species. The country they can be hunted in just looks amazing as well. Unless I hit lotto this one is not realistic.

Anywhere I can go hunt with my son, or my daughter if she actually starts, is a dream hunt for me. Even better if my brother or friends can join as well. I will be looking for an adventure or two for this coming year for us. I try to keep them economical so we can do more of them lol. Last years trips were cool as heck!

Shooting dangerous game like brown/grizzly bears, polar bears, lions and  cape buffalo with a bow qualifies as a STUNT  rather than a sport...

You can hunt turkeys with a .410 also, but then you won't need a guide with a rifle with as bore  as big as your thumb standing behind you to kill the animal before it  comes over and mauls your silly ass for shooting it with your silly little play tool...

I don't care how many brave souls have done it...Fred Bear had to shoot several polar bears with his bow before he could register one in the record books...He would shoot them, and then his guide/backup would have to kill them with a rifle to keep them from eating Fred, so they could not qualify for P&Y...

Edited by Pygmy

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

A Yukon Moose hunt with Jim Shockey would be my top hunt. Awesome land, awesome animal and an great guy. If I only had $25k to burn...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I now a guy that did that about 10 years ago. Got a huge moose and a black wolf while there.

• Like 1

I totally agree with this!

9 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

if having even one person get closer to their dream hunt , then this thread was a success!!! 

Poking around on a few forums opened some opportunities to learn from others who have been there and done that...hope this could do the same.

Go chase some dreams!

• Like 1

Im gonna look a little more into saving for that Newfoundland trip for moose and brookies.  I picked newfoundland cause i am not much of a traveler and this wouldnt be too bad for me.  And the brook trout fishing is what my Dad and i always did.  He never got the chance to go on a trip like that , wish we could have.  

I have put in for maine moose tags for a long time now and am hoping one day that pans out , but newfoundland might be in reach.  Was actually making a plan that me and my buddy when we retire go on a trip right after so this might be it.  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Im gonna look a little more into saving for that Newfoundland trip for moose and brookies.  I picked newfoundland cause i am not much of a traveler and this wouldnt be too bad for me.  And the brook trout fishing is what my Dad and i always did.  He never got the chance to go on a trip like that , wish we could have.  

I have put in for maine moose tags for a long time now and am hoping one day that pans out , but newfoundland might be in reach.  Was actually making a plan that me and my buddy when we retire go on a trip right after so this might be it.  

I wanted to take a motorcycle trip over there, i then seen a documentary on all the moose accidents .....

After thinking about it there is something about the bugling of a elk that entices we. I think it would be pretty neat to hear them and take one with a bow.

13 hours ago, Paula said:

I wanted to take a motorcycle trip over there, i then seen a documentary on all the moose accidents

I would rather die hitting a moose on a trip like that than trying to get the jeep out of the driveway:girlwink:

• Haha 1

I'll be taking my dream trip this summer...my son and I are going to the South Fork of the Snake River on a camping/fly fishing trip.  He is now old enough, and has the fly fishing skills, to get lots out of the trip!   I have fished the river a couple times in the past...it's extra special this time around because I get to share the experience with my son!  This was his X-mas present this year!  My only fear is that he drops out of school to become a trout bum! 

Next up on my dream trip list is a selfbow hunt in Alaska for a moose...Jay Massey's books were my spark and inspiration for this adventure!

...followed by a trip to Greenland to hunt for fluorescent minerals (my avatar is a combination of fluorescent minerals that are considered a "first-find"...I named it Amzinite it after my wife (Amy Marie Zack)...there are specimens on display in museums around the world! https://www.naturesrainbows.com/single-post/2016/06/04/Willemite-on-calcite-w-diopside-W-Pierrepont-NY

• Like 4