Drones

Dom

8-10 minutes flying time and a 500 ft. range doesn't seem worth it to me.

Best Drones For Hunting

Best drones for hunting would be the drones that have a high operating range. In correlation with the operating range goes a flight time. In other words, you will need one of the professional drones. Preferably with 4K UHD camera for the best quality picture. This drones can be used as game spotters.

Edited by Steve D

I flew some of these aircraft before they were called 'drones', and before the federal government put a stop to it. It was agricultural research either capturing corn pollen distribution for testing or video surveillance of vineyards for possible blight conditions. I was the pilot and someone else did the analysis, in both cases. If you think it's going to be a miracle cure for you with regard to hunting, knock yourself out.

ETA: Fun pics are cool though.

Edited by philoshop

Been looking at drones for a couple years now. Was hoping to use during summer months to keep an eye on fields, and yes watching the deer movement but also to monitor for trespassers, watch my stands, etc. Illegal to use for hunting purposes? Someone enlighten me please.

I had one of those $30 early versions with a Cam.   It was cool but I crashed in the golden rod field behind our house.   Never to be found.  I would want a gps signal from a good one    

I could see the benefit if one was searching for elk herds out west.  Most of the areas I hunt are too thick for scouting with a drone.  

As I was tracking the wounded deer the neighbor kid shot during mz season I was thinking how nice a drone would be for retrieval. Of course this deer was still alive so that's a problem, but I sort of subscribe to "all in" when a deer is gut shot and mortally wounded. 

It wouldn't be useful at all during early season, but with snow i imagine it'd do well.

• Like 1

Drones are fun to fly and take amazing video and photos.  I have a DJI Mavic Pro.  I have never considered using them for scouting (and hunting would obviously be illegal).  I am not sure I would get much more from a drone than I would from a topo map and google earth.

I imagine flying a drone would be great fun. I know that scouting is great fun. combining the two seems to me like a step too far when considering "fair chase" notions. Where do we draw the line in hunting equipment and methods? Do we draw any lines?

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I imagine flying a drone would be great fun. I know that scouting is great fun. combining the two seems to me like a step too far when considering "fair chase" notions. Where do we draw the line in hunting equipment and methods? Do we draw any lines?

How is it not fair chase? 

20 hours ago, gwhalin said:

Drones are fun to fly and take amazing video and photos.  I have a DJI Mavic Pro.  I have never considered using them for scouting (and hunting would obviously be illegal).  I am not sure I would get much more from a drone than I would from a topo map and google earth.

As long as the trees have no leaves on them, you could easilly use a drone with a hi rez camera on it to fly over the trees and look down to find trails, scrapes, etc without ever entering the area and leaving scent. Combine that with Google Earth and a topo map and you could figure out exactly what tree, etc you want to hang a stand in without ever stinking up the area and putting pressure on the deer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yes, really. We are talking about scouting, they are illegal to use for hunting so theres no sense in even discussing that. How would it not be fair chase to use one for scouting?

mabye i misread it. "scouting" needs to be defined. Scouting can be done both in and out of season. I don't have an issue with flying this around outside the season, but scouting in season and then hunting? starting to push it. Same bucket as trail cameras that send photos instantly to someones phone.

starts to push it. that's all. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

How is it not fair chase? 

I see scouting as just one part or aspect of the hunt. And I see aerial surveillance as one step too far. I am getting the impression that many have drawn no lines, and all is fair in hunting. If technology can supply it, anything goes in hunting. But I always thought that was why people even talk about "fair chase".

But, I could be wrong. Maybe it really is, "a dead deer at any cost, with no holds barred."

• Like 1