Maple Syrup Season

landtracdeerhunter

Another early year for Maple Syrup .With the warm up coming this weekend into next week, I installed maybe 12 taps on some extra trees. Tapped a few last year on the 17th. Sugar concentration was extremely low as early sap usually is. My best was on March 8th last. I remember it well walking in  the woods with caution as 75mph. wind gusts give no mercy to the trees.  Will most likely hold off tapping the rest until February, but that is highly fluid on the weather. . Only upgrade this season is a larger transport tank, so only one trip need be made, ( I don't hope, LOL).

How is everyone else doing?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

I'm trying maple syrup for the first time and will have more sap then I can handle. However I have no clue what the best low budget way to boil down the sap would be. I hope to make 3-5 gallons on syrup (200 gallons of sap). Suggestions? 

I have done it with a 5 gallon metal pot (turkey fryer) and a turkey fryer burner. It takes a long time that way, as you dont have much surface area for the water to evaporate. If you can find a large, flat pan, maybe 9 or 10 inches deep, you can build a stone or brick base and burn wood under it. That would be faster. Thats what Ill be doing this year.

• Like 3

I made a stove out of a barrel and some stove pipe all was bought from a salvage guy for cheap. 

I cook in a commercial size pan like in the link, you can get them on Amazon cheap. 

https://www.amazon.com/Winware-Aluminum-Roast-Inch-Lugs/dp/B001CIEJTM

I am considering adding another stove and pan to cut cook down time when it’s really running good and I’m sick of cooking. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paula said:

Ok so wegmans sells some syrup, not sure where it comes from. Is that about the same as what you all get?

I look forward to maple weekend in NYS, that is when I buy my syrup when it is nice and fresh. I don't know about the stuff at Wegmans though.  But maple syrup season makes me think though!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I'm trying maple syrup for the first time and will have more sap then I can handle. However I have no clue what the best low budget way to boil down the sap would be. I hope to make 3-5 gallons on syrup (200 gallons of sap). Suggestions? 

Their is a ton of information on Youtube about do it  yourself evaporators. Use some of it with a grain of salt though. Barrel stove with 6" depth steam table pans work good, but I burned my barrel out in two seasons. A blower on the intake helps, acting like a forge. Make sure your fire hits the bottom of the pan for a more efficient boil , what ever fire pot you use. Good luck!

Added: The larger the pan surface area with a good hot fire. higher the evaporation rate.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Paula said:

Ok so wegmans sells some syrup, not sure where it comes from. Is that about the same as what you all get?

Mine is 100% real maple syrup. If it's called maple syrup, it has to contain real maple syrup. Maple industry is real strick about this. Other wise, it's just processed cane sugar with artificial ingredients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Mine is 100% real maple syrup. If it's called maple syrup, it has to contain real maple syrup. Maple industry is real strick about this. Other wise, it's just processed cane sugar with artificial ingredients.

Ok gotcha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Selling a steam table pan set up for someone looking for a hobby size. 

Good to sit on block or cut the side of a 275 oil tank for cheap arch.

$75 in N. Dutchess

25"x 43"; 1/4" steel welded custom frame and 3 commercial grade pans. Will fit any standard full sized pan. 2@6",1@4" to finish in are included....

W77DTf8.jpg

oNsOO10.jpg

hvDV3F1.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/31/2018 at 7:18 PM, Dinsdale said:

Selling a steam table pan set up for someone looking for a hobby size. 

Good to sit on block or cut the side of a 275 oil tank for cheap arch.

$75 in N. Dutchess

25"x 43"; 1/4" steel welded custom frame and 3 commercial grade pans. Will fit any standard full sized pan. 2@6",1@4" to finish in are included....

W77DTf8.jpg

oNsOO10.jpg

hvDV3F1.jpg

If you were closer to me, it would be sold. The iron alone is worth more;  getting the pans free. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

If you were closer to me, it would be sold. The iron alone is worth more;  getting the pans free. 

I was going to put it on MapleTrader.com; but tried a local hunt forum and here first, thought it was a good deal but surprised to find no interest yet.

I do get to Buffalo area each year to see family, but have no plan to be there before this maple season at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

I was going to put it on MapleTrader.com; but tried a local hunt forum and here first, thought it was a good deal but surprised to find no interest yet.

I do get to Buffalo area each year to see family, but have no plan to be there before this maple season at the moment.

P.M. sent.

• 2 weeks later...