Maple Syrup Season

landtracdeerhunter

How's the season going so far? This last week has been one of the best flows in years for me. Been boiling into the late night just to keep ahead. I will have to look into building a small scale Reverse Osmosis unit for next year or enlarge my evaporator again. Not sure at this point, what would be better. 

46 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

How's the season going so far? This last week has been one of the best flows in years for me. Been boiling into the late night just to keep ahead. I will have to look into building a small scale Reverse Osmosis unit for next year or enlarge my evaporator again. Not sure at this point, what would be better. 

I've been looking into this for a while. This seems like a pretty good set up for a small operation. I've been pricing out his set up and I think his pricing is about right. 

https://sites.google.com/site/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/home/homemade-reverse-osmosis-system

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've been looking into this for a while. This seems like a pretty good set up for a small operation. I've been pricing out his set up and I think his pricing is about right. 

https://sites.google.com/site/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/home/homemade-reverse-osmosis-system

Thats pretty slick

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Would certainly cut boil time down by quite a bit

in a 24 hour period he took 140 gallons of sap down to 30 gallons of concentrate.  And honestly, collect the water and use it. Has to be as good or better than bottled water. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

That is the exact unit I was looking into. I always handle sap as you would milk with the temperature below 37 degree F. This week, sap been running way below that.   At that temp. this unit has a 2 gal/ hour flow rate which is way to slow for what I need.  I was always under the impression sap never should go to 40 degree F as they state with highest  flow rate of 4 to 6 gal/hr...

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Nerds ruin everything, not at all worth it unless you plan on producing a lot and selling it. 

The fun of it for me is collecting and cooking outside, keep it simple. 

2 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Having a good year here too though I actually scaled back, cooked down at 30-1 Tuesday and have more to cook tomorrow. My first run was the usual poor ratio, 68-1 and darker. The second was perfectly colored and higher sugar content, boy did it run last week.  

13 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

If you put that through a RO, you'd boil less and you'd get better color.:whistle:

So, R.O. does lighten the color of the syrup?  Culvercreek posted that link above that looks good, but the guy is running sap through at 40 degrees F. for 4 -6 g/h flow rate. That temp worries me, as I always like to keep it below 36F.  I could go with larger surface area with the membrane. I don't know if I would have to run a larger pump.

You will most likely need to upgrade the pump... I  upgraded a system last year by adding a second membrane (30"x3") and had to upgrade.  The new pump head was only 160 bucks but I went from 5GPM to 12GPM... 

I have a contact for RO supply, parts etc... if anyone is interested, PM me.  These systems are pharma grade but this company sells used items and can source just about anything for the best price...

Had to sell my property or I would be making syrup too... it was work, but well worth it.  I'll be buying syrup this year

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

So, R.O. does lighten the color of the syrup?  Culvercreek posted that link above that looks good, but the guy is running sap through at 40 degrees F. for 4 -6 g/h flow rate. That temp worries me, as I always like to keep it below 36F.  I could go with larger surface area with the membrane. I don't know if I would have to run a larger pump.

Shortening boiling time is one factor that keeps syrup lighter. So if you increase concentration of sap, you by default reduce boiling time, and get lightest color for that run.

Yes, you'd need a bigger pump increasing membrane size. Did you read Dr Tim's second post in that link? Covers exactly what you are asking about temp increase and prompt processing to avoid issues with color/flavor.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well if you produced more for the same given time expended you could sell a bit and pay for the RO and get that gun...lol

Ain’t happening. The trees will only produce so much, syrup is not a profitable business for the most part. I read recently that a guy ran 300 taps and produced about 100 gallons of syrup and made about $4000. He then put most of that back into equipment ect and that “profit” didn’t include his time spent throughout the year working on the equipment, trees and selling product. So for that reason I’ll stick to letting sap freeze and taking the ice out of the bucket before cooking as I hear the ice has little sugar in it. Free RO system if it’s true. 

Their is a lower concentration of sugar in ice. If it gets cold enough, 5 gallon pails of sap freeze solid. Sugar is sugar to me and I boil all of it. I freeze backup reserves of sap solid, which I throw in my tank, during mild weather periods.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter