Achievement-oriented Motivations for Deer Hunting

goosifer

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

I bet most of us hunters spend equal or more time walking, scouting and prepping than we do hunting. The hunting part is the award for the work. Plus there is no challenge to sit in a tree in march. There is a challenge to harvesting a deer.

I personally enjoy the woods therapy more than anything, but not far behind is the challenge and excitement when I achieve my goals. 3rd is good meat for the family. 

Trail cam's alone demand a pile of time during the off season as well as during.   Just kinda strange that chart he put up could pertain to anyone, not just a hunter and no weapons needed.

I have no motivation to hunt .it's just a autonomic response.  I enjoy seeing someone get game out of one of my setups.. I enjoy the scouting far more than the hunt..  I do kill but it's anticlamatic. At some point while sitting i just decide I will kill. That's it.. I enjoy the meat but give much of it away.. big bucks I kill from time to time but I kill small deer as well.. it's just in my dna.. And I'm pretty good at it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

There was another part of the survey that asked the participants their beliefs about hunting, and what they "approve of". Surprisingly, only 25.9% approved and 38.7% disapproved of "to obtain a trophy" as a reason to hunt. If I'm understanding this correctly, this goes against the grain of "you can hunt whatever you want to, as long as it's legal". I note that 45.1% of the respondents were below the age of 31. Again, this is a subset of new hunters, and a small subset of all hunters, in 2016. Interesting

Its a negative view on Trophy hunting, many guys call themselves Trophy hunters but don't fit the public's definition. To the public Trophy hunting is done only for the trophy and not the meat. Transversely, I don't of anyone that does that and in fact it seems to be just the opposite where meat is consumed or donated no matter what size deer is taken.

Perception and reality are two different things as we have seen on this forum daily.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Its a negative view on Trophy hunting, many guys call themselves Trophy hunters but don't fit the public's definition. To the public Trophy hunting is done only for the trophy and not the meat. Transversely, I don't of anyone that does that and in fact it seems to be just the opposite where meat is consumed or donated no matter what size deer is taken.

Perception and reality are two different things as we have seen on this forum daily.

I guess the research didn't really define what they meant by trophy hunting (that I saw, I didn't read the whole thing.)

Do "trophy hunters" typically eat the venison from their deer?

12 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I guess the research didn't really define what they meant by trophy hunting (that I saw, I didn't read the whole thing.)

Do "trophy hunters" typically eat the venison from their deer?

That's where it gets tricky, many here call themselves trophy hunters but all of them eat the meat.

The outside world views trophy hunting as a guy the takes the head and leaves the meat behind.

I read that on a study DEC had put out at some point in time much like the one you found. It was a article on how to deal with declining hunter numbers and a growing deer population, essentially a plan B. It had everything from deer contraception and snipers all the way to Wolves being reintroduced.

49 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

bingo. Also conversely shooting an older male should be seen as a positive. This male has had a chance to live a life and breed. Where as shooting smaller deer takes the life earlier before the animal is fully developed and experienced life.

looking at it solely from an anti's viewpoint I would think they would be for trophy hunters who eat the meat and target older males. 

I consider myself a trophy hunter as I set out to shoot the biggest buck I can. Doesn't always work that way, but they all get hung up and processed just the same.

Edited by Belo

Cornell surveys...surely this is some of our license dollars being wasted and the dec will cite these in something. What a total crock they don’t offer these to all with internet access using their license number rather than 3000 (air quotes) random individuals.

Because of you we can’t have nice things.

17 minutes ago, gjs4 said:

Cornell surveys...surely this is some of our license dollars being wasted and the dec will cite these in something. What a total crock they don’t offer these to all with internet access using their license number rather than 3000 (air quotes) random individuals.

At the end of the report it says:

This work was supported by Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Grant W-125-S

So, can't say for sure, but perhaps your NYS license dollars were spared. The study wasn't done with random individuals. It was specifically for "Non-Traditional Path Hunters". If you really care, you can read the details in the report.

It would be nice if they did a comprehensive survey with all hunters.

So, can't say for sure, but perhaps your NYS license dollars were spared. The study wasn't done with random individuals. It was specifically for "Non-Traditional Path Hunters". If you really care, you can read the details in the report.
It would be nice if they did a comprehensive survey with all hunters.

Thanks for the reference. One would assume it’s just or tax dollars being wasted not license dollars.

I’ve emailed both Cornell and the DEC on their surveys. Mr.Hurst is the limited, but sufficient, sample size data king of anything outdoors. They’re fine with people not completing them but there is not an ice cube’s chance in hell of anyone outside of the random pool participating. Not sure if it was on here or another forum but someone had got the survey who hadn’t purchased a license in a couple yrs.

Do I think all of these surveys are a waste? Yes. Do I think they’re bs and lies? Moreso than not.

Is it meant to be a signature like some forums have for users?

Bingo! It’s just my antagonistic proclamation for this forum based on that classic kids’ line and so many one sided debates (here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motavation for deer hunting . Lets see hmm:rolleyes:

Shoot deer make steak  eat steak  it's  food .

Bonus hang rack 

What else is there ? :)

I mean modern man has only been hunting for 200,000 years . Nobody even has to hunt anymore really and people still do it. What does that tell you ?

It tells you that we are hard wired to want to hunt just like all the other predators on the earth are .  This can Express itself  in other ways most  sports are based on hunting skills believe it or not . Because think about how humans hunt game .

We use are hand eye coordination we  aim we use strategy .

Now look at most sports same concept used  you aim a gun you aim a spear you aim a rock and you aim a ball in most games  and you use hand eye coordination ,strategy also in those sports   just like hunters like trophies  we give trophies in sports. 

Hunting is the original  sport the first one . 

The first sport of kings in fact depictions of hunting scenes can be found in ancient tombs of kings  all over the world from thousands of years ago .

The anti hunting groups try to make hunters out to be not normal but in fact it is most of  them that are not normal in reality. 

Edited by Storm914