Arrow selection

erussell

Need a little help picking arrows. Want to stick with aluminum xx78's mostly because thats all Ive ever shot and I'm stubborn and don't want to change to carbon. I have a 28inch draw and pull 70lbs with a 100 grain low profile fixed broadhead with a single cam. My question is, it shows four different choices on the Easton chart. Iv'e always just gone with the bow shops suggestions and it has always been 2315. Why not one of the other choices?

[table][tr]  [td]Select a Cam:[/td]  [td] Select One Medium Cam Single or Hard Cam Recurve Bow Modern Longbow [/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Select a Point Weight (± 10 grains):[/td]  [td] Select One 75100125150 [/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Select a Bow Weight (lbs.):[/td]  [td] Select One 32-3637-4142-4647-5152-5657-6162-6667-7273-7879-8485-90 [/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Select Arrow Length (± ½"):[/td]  [td] Select One 23"24"25"26"27"28"29"30"31"32" [/td][/tr][/table]

Arrows

[table][tr]  [td]Size[/td]  [td]Spine @

28"Span[/td]  [td]Model[/td]  [td]Weight

Grs/Inch[/td]  [td]Weight

@ 29"[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]2512[/td]  [td]0.321[/td]  [td]Super Slam Digital (7178-T9 alloy)[/td]  [td]10.3[/td]  [td]299[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]2413[/td]  [td]0.365[/td]  [td]Super Slam Digital (7178-T9 alloy), XX75: Realtree HD Green, Legacy, Camo Hunter, (7075-T9 alloy)[/td]  [td]10.4[/td]  [td]302[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]2315[/td]  [td]0.340[/td]  [td]Super Slam Digital (7178-T9 alloy), XX75: Realtree HD Green, Legacy, Camo Hunter, (7075-T9 alloy)[/td]  [td]11.7[/td]  [td]339[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]2219[/td]  [td]0.337[/td]  [td]Super Slam Digital (7178-T9 alloy), XX75: Realtree HD Green, Legacy, Camo Hunter, (7075-T9 alloy)[/td]  [td]13.8[/td]  [td]400[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]340[/td]  [td]0.340[/td]  [td]Game Getter[/td]  [td]11.7[/td]  [td]339[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]340[/td]  [td]0.340[/td]  [td]Axis Full Metal Jacket & Axis Full Metal Jacket Camo[/td]  [td]11.3[/td]  [td]328[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]3-60[/td]  [td]0.340[/td]  [td]A/C/C[/td]  [td]9.5[/td]  [td]276[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]340[/td]  [td]0.340[/td]  [td]ST Axis, St Axis Realtree, ST Excel, ST Epic, ST Epic Realtree HD, LightSpeed, PowerFlight[/td]  [td]CAWT[/td]  [td]CAWT[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]360[/td]  [td]0.360[/td]  [td]Redline[/td][/tr][/table]

I shoot a simular set up(29 in draw ad 70#), used to shoot the 2315's, I liked them because they are a good middle ground for weight and speed. They seemed to match up to my set up very well and I had zero problems with them until I got a newer bow and I noticed some slight inconsistencies in my groups especially at longer distances and made the switch to Carbon.

I have a friend who likes to shoot the heaviest arrow he can as he feels it helps with penetration. Deer are small thin skinned game  shouldn't be a problem what you choose. Although i like to shoot carbon as i always seem to have my alum arrows bent by a deer running or deflection thru brush hitting a rib,shoulder blade. the carbon just seem to hold up a lot better and i am going into 4 seasons and counting without replacing an arrow (yes i've shot deer just reuse the same arrow),where every year i seemed to be buying a half dozen for hunting with alum.

The weights of Carbon have come a long way in the last few years, my Piledrivers are very close in weight to the 2315's I was shooting and I never had an issue with penetraion with either arrow. In fact I would say the opposite, the arrows go straight thru and stick in the ground and some times I wish they would stay in a few jumps. Cost is one issue though, carbon can get pricey, so can alluminum I guess but carbon usually wins that contest. You could say the cost is worth it because you hopefully won't have to replace your arrows every year or two. I did manage to loose two last year...I saw dollar signs when I hit the branch and the arrow went thru it and went on to god knows where. What a noise and sight that was....haha

I have the same exact arrow length and poundage and have killed deer with both, but the 2219 just went right thru everytime and i never lost a deer i hit. It has more drop at long ranges, but if you practice a lot this will not matter. I shoot the heaviest carbons i can find now, just becuase they last longer and give me more room for error due to the fact i can't practice as much as i used to when i was younger with less other crap going on.

I still have a lifetime supply of the old autumn orange XX75 shafts that still kill deer just as dead as any of the more modern materials. I have yet to know anybody that can legitimately blame the loss of a deer to the material that their shaft was made of. So far be it for me to insist that anyone change arrow materials if they don't want to.

As far as aluminum arrows bending, I have just one suggestion .... don't shoot them at rocks or logs.....lol. However if a mishap should occur, the worst that can happen is an obviously bent arrow that you are not likely to attempt to shoot again.