Archery in Schools

Five Seasons

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

Saw this in my weekly DEC digest email. Hope is not lost!

Capture.JPG.b09a0d7d01f5dff0c2c25597f82eb376.JPG

I remember sending 3 or 4 dozens arrows down to a coach of a high school team in NC.  I thought it was really cool that they had teams there.  Nice to know its happening in NY but I have never heard of the program offered at any local schools.

• Like 1

I remember sending 3 or 4 dozens arrows down to a coach of a high school team in NC.  I thought it was really cool that they had teams there.  Nice to know its happening in NY but I have never heard of the program offered at any local schools.
I had the option for archery in Gym class. Of course I always opted for that when they offered it. Though the bows were 35lb max recurves but still tons of fun

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I'm sure it's mostly rural schools. My oldest starts kindergarten next year so it'll be some time but generally programs like this need some support to get pushed though. I sure will try to do my best for webster when he gets older and than all 3 can participate. I'm sure there will be plenty of push back, but sometimes people are more reasonable than we expect. 

I'm sure it's mostly rural schools. My oldest starts kindergarten next year so it'll be some time but generally programs like this need some support to get pushed though. I sure will try to do my best for webster when he gets older and than all 3 can participate. I'm sure there will be plenty of push back, but sometimes people are more reasonable than we expect. 
My school was in Northern Westchester. Hardly rural by any stretch. And one of if not the most affluent areas in the state. They did archery only in HS however. I think kids would definitely benefit starting in middle school possibly if only even in 8th grade.

• Like 1

My third semester of college I signed up for archery.  The coach let us bring our compound bows in.  It was awesome!! Best class I ever had!  There was 3 of us that hunted and we got to practice every other day for 45 minutes and get credit for it.  

These days they prob wouldn't allow them on the property.  

There are some colleges now that have fishing / tournament teams.  Now that's worth going to college for. 

• Like 3

My third semester of college I signed up for archery.  The coach let us bring our compound bows in.  It was awesome!! Best class I ever had!  There was 3 of us that hunted and we got to practice every other day for 45 minutes and get credit for it.  
These days they prob wouldn't allow them on the property.  
There are some colleges now that have fishing / tournament teams.  Now that's worth going to college for. 
Damn I wish I did that at school! That would have been awesome

• Like 1

I remember we had it in my school gym class. My daughters school has a rifle team and I think they have a trap shooting team
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!! Though they should have a skeet team. Everyone knows skeet is harder and just better overall

Correction just looked it’s only rifle team but use to have trap. 
At least they have SOME firearms training options there. Still great to see a school with an interest in safety and firearms. I just wish more would follow suit

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

At least they have SOME firearms training options there. Still great to see a school with an interest in safety and firearms. I just wish more would follow suit

yeah lets just hope archery catches on. I think the firearms ship has sailed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

have heard a lot of people say that more girls became interested in archery after the movie the hunger games 

I had two of my nieces express a sudden interest after the movie. I didn't have bows they could draw but I gave them demonstrations, and they picked it up as a college elective. Every little bit helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

we made ninja stars in shop class when the teacher was napping or sneaking a drink with the art teacher.  And this was in the 80's. lol 

We used to turn the little screw on the drinking fountain in shop class , it changed the water height from a normal level to five feet high. Great times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The short billy clubs were made in foundry , a cast into sand type molds . They were for clubbing “fish “.

For the record I turn 59 in March although I can pass for 57 all day long .

I told my wife I got the body of a 19 year old, she said give it back you’re getting it all wrinkled .......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1