Gun care and maintenance

sodfather

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=398836

I wanted to post this up after myself and Tacks went on a late season duck hunt and when jumping a group of green heads my Vinci jammed up. It was 12 maybe outside but after 1 shot a shell was hung up. I have always used Hopps oil and solvent but after reading this test I have recently switch. What do you all on your guns as far as lubricants and cleaners? Also how often do you do a full disassemble and clean? Cheers!!!!

I wipe mine down after every hunt at room temperature. I usually wipe them down with a rag sprayed with a light coat of wd-40 and wipe that off. I also use a small compressor to blow moisture out of the interior parts and hit them with a squirt of wd-40 and wipe off the excess. At the end of the season(s) they are given a good cleaning and oiling before being put away.

I have been out in some pretty cold conditions and never once had one not fire when needed. wd-40 does a nice job displacing moisture and short term protection.

If it should get wet from heavy rains I will tear it down & clean to prevent rust. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sodfather said:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=398836

I wanted to post this up after myself and Tacks went on a late season duck hunt and when jumping a group of green heads my Vinci jammed up. It was 12 maybe outside but after 1 shot a shell was hung up. I have always used Hopps oil and solvent but after reading this test I have recently switch. What do you all on your guns as far as lubricants and cleaners? Also how often do you do a full disassemble and clean? Cheers!!!!

I doubt very few here will ever hunt in those temps so they aren't going to be too concerned. 

A number of years ago while we had some bone chilling temps (below zero) I left a couple rifles out in the shed to test things out.  Because I generally leave the guns pretty dry inside, all rifles tested went "bang" with primers in empty cases.  (my neighbors would frown on fully charged cases plugged with bullets)

Another board I read often has a thread on freezing temps and bolt lube running now.  A few people have chimed in and said for corrosion resistant use  "Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner" and for freezing temp lube try "Dri Lube".

Edited by Lawdwaz

As far as disassembly, I enjoy taking most of my guns down and doing minor maintenance.  I don't know anything about the Vinci but if it has the same action as my SBE and Montefeltro, it's a piece of cake to breakdown and clean up.  Heck I've switched safeties on both guns from right to left and back many times.  (cleaning the burdock's out at the same time!)

Disassembly of the centerfire rifles and ML'rs is pretty simple too. 

Edited by Lawdwaz

10 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

As far as disassembly, I enjoy taking most of my guns down and doing minor maintenance.  I don't know anything about the Vinci but if it has the same action as my SBE and Montefeltro, it's a piece of cake to breakdown and clean up.  Heck I've switched safeties on both guns from right to left and back many times.  (cleaning the burdock's out at the same time!)

Disassembly of the centerfire rifles and ML'rs is pretty simple too. 

Breaking the Vinci down is easy. The oil I was using turned gummy.

How do ya like that Montefeltro is that your clay bird buster? 

Funny that his test is now on the hornady site..... I love breaking them down as much as possible. Every gun gets it at least once a year whether it was used or not. You would be surprised the rust under your stock or other areas you can't see without breaking them down. The only one I slack on is the versamax. Rem claims it's a 10k shell till it needs cleaning. I haven't come close to that but I use that gun more than any and only break it down once. It's coated so there's no rust and the internals have stayed very clean.

I am gonna give the hornady stuff a try. I have about 5 different products that I use for specific purposes. Would be nice to have a cleaner/lube/rust prevent all in one. They all claim that but I have not had good results relying on one. That test Def shows what does all of what they stay they do.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have been using balistol.  I have never disassembled any of my guns.  Besides cleaning the barrel, I pretty much just wipe things down and lubricate the bolt.  My pump shotgun gets very very little use.  

+1 on the Ballistol.  That stuff is great.

3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Funny that his test is now on the hornady site..... I love breaking them down as much as possible. Every gun gets it at least once a year whether it was used or not. You would be surprised the rust under your stock or other areas you can't see without breaking them down. The only one I slack on is the versamax. Rem claims it's a 10k shell till it needs cleaning. I haven't come close to that but I use that gun more than any and only break it down once. It's coated so there's no rust and the internals have stayed very clean.

I am gonna give the hornady stuff a try. I have about 5 different products that I use for specific purposes. Would be nice to have a cleaner/lube/rust prevent all in one. They all claim that but I have not had good results relying on one. That test Def shows what does all of what they stay they do.

The Hornady one shot is a cleaner/lube/rust prevent . I am not anal with my guns but alway break them down for cleaning just therapeutic for me. 

How is that versa max to break down to putting back together? My Beretta is tricky to break down.. 

The Hornady one shot is a cleaner/lube/rust prevent . I am not anal with my guns but alway break them down for cleaning just therapeutic for me. 
How is that versa max to break down to putting back together? My Beretta is tricky to break down.. 
Not tricky at all. But when u were trained to race to breakdown an m16a2 not much is tricky. Lol. I love that gun though

20 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Another board I read often has a thread on freezing temps and bolt lube running now.  A few people have chimed in and said for corrosion resistant use  "Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner" and for freezing temp lube try "Dri Lube".

That original testing on the link here was also on 24hr crapfire and that guy used to post a bunch of stuff like that before the usual bunch of village idiots who congregate there ran him off.

I have a Mark I that is a pain.......every time I take it down I have to refer to Google!
Same thing. mine is it's still nice and tight. Sucks getting that floppy lever with the pin in and out. Your mark 1 should be easily done by hand. just have to get the little dangly thingy in the right position putting the guts back in the grip frame.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

when i first looked @ it i said to myself wow this guys got too much time on his hands.But as i read it ,it was interesting how the results were.i used most of these products.I was amazed how well wd-40 did and how bad some of the others that i swore by[gunzilla,eezox] did. I use kroil oil in work its great stuff but would only use it on my guns if i had no choice . we use crc too and i used it alot on my boat,but never on my guns.i like that frog oil it looked like the one that preformed the best of the bunch.I know that you guys also know to never use these products on muzzleloaders[ well anything thats petroleum based], what i used on my muzzleloader which is an old percussion sidelock believe it or not gojo hand cleaner. Back in the day there were really nothing that sold stuff for muzzleloaders[except for a few catalogs],But what i did was melt the gojo and soak my patches in both for shooting and cleaning.