Fill in the blank

Water Rat

Attention to detail.

The drive to go the extra mile and never give up. 

The ability to determine what track is the buck you are after when he gets mixed up in doe. 

Snow is great but you can do it in mud also.  So true Grampy, I can't remember how many times I kicked myself for not looking up enough then get to the top of the ridge to find the deer was pacing while watching me track him then following running tracks when he had enough and bolted. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dom said:

Good eyesight and most important sense of direction.

Most times when I do track I am familiar with the area so I really don't care to know my exact location till I need to worry about an exit usually an hour or two before sunset.  I usually have a good handle on direction and location and if the track goes far I will mark his trail with GPS points, I don't like the crumbs.  

Good eyesight is very important I would also say identification!  I have some friends that could have a deer 20 yards away and they would never see them.  I try to get my buddies to just go and watch deer, it helps to see them in thick cover and be able to see how they blend in and how to find them when glassing or hunting.  Watching for an ear flicker or tail or just some minor movement in the woods is a skill not every one has and it makes a huge difference.  

One guy that use to come to camp went with another trapper and hunted with him and his son, they did a drive and had about 5 deer run past this guy in the blind, he never saw any of them.  

9 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Most times when I do track I am familiar with the area so I really don't care to know my exact location till I need to worry about an exit usually an hour or two before sunset.  I usually have a good handle on direction and location and if the track goes far I will mark his trail with GPS points, I don't like the crumbs.  

Good eyesight is very important I would also say identification!  I have some friends that could have a deer 20 yards away and they would never see them.  I try to get my buddies to just go and watch deer, it helps to see them in thick cover and be able to see how they blend in and how to find them when glassing or hunting.  Watching for an ear flicker or tail or just some minor movement in the woods is a skill not every one has and it makes a huge difference.  

One guy that use to come to camp went with another trapper and hunted with him and his son, they did a drive and had about 5 deer run past this guy in the blind, he never saw any of them.  

I agree most new hunters only look for the whole deer and have no idea that they need to observe all movement in the woods.Gps doesn't always work best to learn how to use a compass when hunting outside your normal area's

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Be able to shoot, I'm not a good tracker but I can shoot a buddy of mine is an awesome tracker and misses a few nice bucks every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur. I think it would take both hands and maybe a few toes to count all the nice bucks I have jumped while tracking or stillhunting.

Bucks that i never even pulled the trigger on. In general i can rarely hit a running deer cleanly, therefore i don't shoot .

• Like 1

I concur. I think it would take both hands and maybe a few toes to count all the nice bucks I have jumped while tracking or stillhunting.
Bucks that i never even pulled the trigger on. In general i can rarely hit a running deer cleanly, therefore i don't shoot .

As I have talked about on here before I shoot thousands of rounds a year to prepare myself for the moment of my season when I have to make a shot. I have killed many deer in the ADK's that most hunters would have never even pulled a trigger. You have all year to prepare for that 1second that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

Alot.... 99% cannot be purchased. Wounded or just stalking, the most important thing to have is experience. Patience. Knowledge of the animal and your surroundings. The ability to understand the what's and whys. The ability to stay humble and realize it's an animal that will never do the same thing 100% of the time. The ability to slow down and not let your adrenaline lead you, but your mind.

I love a good track. It's always an opportunity to learn about something I have a strong passion for. The outdoors, and whitetails....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Two blondes came across a set of tracks.

1st one said they might be moose tracks.

2nd one said it's definitely deer tracks.

1st one said no, I'm pretty sure they're moose tracks.

They were still arguing when the train hit them.

• Like 2