Diets

Dom

I've lost 25 pounds in the last year. I cut out all fast food, packaged processed food, fried food and white breads. Watch my carbs (except beer). Try to eat a vegetable or fruit with every meal. Limit sodium intake. Cutting out fast food and processed food goes a long way towards that. It is amazing the amount of salt in processed foods. I do a fast 2 to 3 mile walk 4 to 5 times a week. My weakness is beer. I think if I cut it out I could've lost more.

I'm active all the time never stop. I eat like cap and everyone I know tells me that.  Eat what I like and I eat all the time. If the food doesnt mae me happy then im not eating it.Can't remember the last time I had a vegetable, not a rabbit I'm not eating tasteless weeds. Nothing for me to eat a half gallon of ice cream and bag of chips for a light snack. Love pizza, wings ,subs. I drink 8 bottles of Pepsi a day. Friends say I'm out of shape, doctor says I'm fat and out of shape. I tell all of them when they can keep up with me then I will change my diet and lose weight. I only weigh 236. None of my friends can keep up with me especially in the woods up and down hills. They all way far less then I do and eat healthy. I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and bad back , ruptured disk and spinal rheumatoid arthritis.  I can still out work any of them. I think the key is staying active. Never any down time for me. Only time I sit still is when deer hunting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Going to disagree that exercise is more important than diet.  I have done a lot of "exercise" and it really doesn't reduce lbs much unless you couple it with healthy eating.  Chas, it sounds like you eat pretty darn healthy already so exercise will only help.  Everyone I hear from that has been truly successful (Arcade, Grampy, my Brother) has the same advise (healthier choices and smaller portions).  I just have to start implementing it.  lol  I was much better at gaining weight when I needed/wanted to than I am losing it now.

I guess I look at it from a physical fitness stand point. I know some guys that are considered overweight but could put a licking on a lot of guys half their age and at a "healthy" weight, physical exertion wise. Last time I was at my doctor he said I'm overweight, I looked at him and laughed. He looked puzzled then I asked him what my "healthy" weight was supposed to be, I haven't been that weight since middle school! I agree if all someone eats is fast food/junk or a lot of those prepared meals they definitely need a diet change to help with the weight loss. I think if someone gets enough regular exercise any non major health issues can be changed for the better. Some people are just big boned and can't change the genes.

I started the Keto diet last week... I'm down 16lbs... lost a lot of fluid that I had built up in my lower legs.. Was on prescription med to reduce that and it never really did it, this diet got rid of that quick!!! Adding in Intermittent fasting as well, not as hard as you think (16 hour fasts 2-3 days a week)... To be honest... I've always had "gut" issues.. always felt bloated... Always burping or "worse" for the wife, the other end... Now... None of that... Google it.. VERY different concept for dieting.. There is Keto bread you can make... Wife and I absolutely LOVE the Keto pizza we make.. truly is awesome... Hoping to be off my high BP meds by fall with this diet.. 

9 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

I'm active all the time never stop. I eat like cap and everyone I know tells me that.  Eat what I like and I eat all the time. If the food doesnt mae me happy then im not eating it.Can't remember the last time I had a vegetable, not a rabbit I'm not eating tasteless weeds. Nothing for me to eat a half gallon of ice cream and bag of chips for a light snack. Love pizza, wings ,subs. I drink 8 bottles of Pepsi a day. Friends say I'm out of shape, doctor says I'm fat and out of shape. I tell all of them when they can keep up with me then I will change my diet and lose weight. I only weigh 236. None of my friends can keep up with me especially in the woods up and down hills. They all way far less then I do and eat healthy. I have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and bad back , ruptured disk and spinal rheumatoid arthritis.  I can still out work any of them. I think the key is staying active. Never any down time for me. Only time I sit still is when deer hunting. 

Wife makes a salad twice a week I eat it because my son is watching every move I make and if I don't like something he won't try it. I make comments under my breath the whole time while I'm choking it down. I feel like a damn farm animal getting their hay eating that stuff and half the time it has no taste and I slather it in the bad for you dressing.

• Like 1

The tough part for me is my travel, its hard to eat well on the road. I land in a city, starving of course, and have an hour to get to an appt. So fast food is sometimes the only option. I do like the protein grab and go stuff thats in the supermarkets. I really like the one with the egg, cheese, and pistachios. Of course I eat two of them lol

The things I eat will really start to change once I start exercising more. It' like I don't want to do the work and ruin the benefits of working out. I just got to a point where so many things I wanted to accomplish were being held back by not getting in better shape . I also don't want my son to have the big dad ,kids are brutal ,I don't want my son to have to show someone what an ankle pick is because they picked on his fat ass dad.

55 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Wife makes a salad twice a week I eat it because my son is watching every move I make and if I don't like something he won't try it. I make comments under my breath the whole time while I'm choking it down. I feel like a damn farm animal getting their hay eating that stuff and half the time it has no taste and I slather it in the bad for you dressing.

I'm lucky that the kids always copied mom or gramma instead of dad. The kids have always been harder on me then adults. Even from very young the always yelled at me for eating all that bad food and have always eaten better then me. Someday it will catch up to me butt until then I eat what makes me happy.

I like going to a party and watch people eating off the veggie tray. I always nobody likes weeds and parties prove it. The first thing people say is where is the veggie dip. If dip is all gone no more veggies get eaten. They like the dip or dressing not the weeds. 

I know I should eat better but I just can't eat things that look like pig slop or have the taste of cardboard.

• Like 1

My problem has always been portion size.90%of what I eat is homemade I limit myself to eating out only once a month even then its a large amount of food.example I had doctor apt and next to his office is Burger King 3  whoppers small fries and unsweetened iced tea that was at 1030 and now could eat again.That meal alone was over 2000 cals.

• Like 1

havent eaten fast food maybe twice in last 5 years - its gross!     Always able to find a diner or something to get by if need be. 

I went to McDonalds like 3 years ago cause I havent had a quarter ponder with cheese in years.  3 bites and chucked it!  ewwww.  

i did like whoppers, but its like $10 for a whopper meal and for that I can eat at a diner or restaurant and get the special and its much better meal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, left field said:

Moog is correct, exercise doesn't drop pounds unless it is a long steady state endurance type like marathon training or distance cycling. Of course, exercise has many other benefits.

The best diet is the one you can stick with longest and that is dependent on mindset and what fits into your lifestyle easiest. One of the biggest challenges people face is how they deal with a slip. Many people succumb to a minor temptation and then feeling guilty (or relieved) eat a whole cheesecake. A fall is a fall. Get back up.

And transitioning into maintenance is hard as hell. 

Is "pop" an upstate thing? 

exercise def drops pounds.  It burns calories therefore it has to. But it has to be a balance of both.  If you just exercise and still eat 4000 calories nothing will happen.  If you dont move and eat 2500 calories nothing  will happen.  But exercise will def help you loose weight, and it doesnt have to be marathon training. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

exercise def drops pounds.  It burns calories therefore it has to. But it has to be a balance of both.  If you just exercise and still eat 4000 calories nothing will happen.  If you dont move and eat 2500 calories nothing  will happen.  But exercise will def help you loose weight, and it doesnt have to be marathon training. 

What I'm saying is that the average type of exercise that most people do - 3x weekly gym or a sport - isn't going to move the needle that much when it comes to losing weight or fat. What will is a serious calorie deficit.

Simplified - you want to lose weight, put the fork down.

• Like 1

My problem has always been portion size.90%of what I eat is homemade I limit myself to eating out only once a month even then its a large amount of food.example I had doctor apt and next to his office is Burger King 3  whoppers small fries and unsweetened iced tea that was at 1030 and now could eat again.That meal alone was over 2000 cals.
Holy crap I am over 200lbs and there is no freaking way I could eat 3 Whoppers! That had to be a 20.00 meal!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk